[REQUEST] Military Time and Date formatting for Events, Signups and co

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REQUEST] Military Time and Date formatting for Events, Signups and co

In this thread I wanted to request the use of the Military Time-zones, especially the "Zulu"-Time.

The reason for this; some of the TG-Players are not coming from the United States.
    For these people its very confusing to see event-signup-threads with different timeszones, which they don't know about.

Examples are;
    3pm East Coast Time
    15:00 until 18:00 East Canada/US
    5pm EST
    To avoid this problem, I would like to suggest the introduction of the military time and date formatting, which uses a much simpler time and date-formatting than the many ones currently used.

The international military time is the "Zulu"-Time, which is based on the "Greenwhich Mean Time" (GMT) and the "Univeral Time Coordinated" (UTC).
    "Zulu"-Time is used to have an international coordinated time, which is used especially for joint-operations with/or in other countries. Until we are basically doing the same, working with people all over the world, it would be very useful for TG.

But to go back to the actual topic, here some information about the military time and date-formatting:

Time Zones:

Name City ZULU/GMT/UTC offset
    A Alpha Time Zone Paris +1
    B Bravo Time Zone Athens +2
    C Charlie Time Zone Moscow +3
    D Delta Time Zone Kabul +4
    E Echo Time Zone New Delhi +5
    F Foxtrot Time Zone Rangoon +6
    G Golf Time Zone Bangkok +7
    H Hotel Time Zone Beijing +8
    I India Time Zone Tokyo +9
    K Kilo Time Zone Brisbane +10
    L Lima Time Zone Sydney +11
    M Mike Time Zone Kamchatka +12
    N November Time Zone Azores -1
    O Oscar Time Zone Rio De Janeiro -2
    P Papa Time Zone Buenos Aires -3
    Q Quebec Time Zone Halifax -4
    R Romeo Time Zone New York -5
    S Sierra Time Zone Chicago -6
    T Tango Time Zone Denver -7
    U Uniform Time Zone Los Angeles -8
    V Victor Time Zone Anchorage -9
    W Whiskey Time Zone Hawaii -10
    X X-Ray Wellington -11
    Y Yankee Fiji -12
    Z Zulu Time Zone Greenwich GMT 0

Time:

Civilian time uses 1 to 12 to identify each of the 24 hours in the day (am/pm).
    The Military Time uses 1 to 24.
    The formatting is always 4 digit;
    Examples:
    - 0800 would be 8am.
    - 2000 would be 8pm.

To identify the time zone referred to, you simply add the phonetic letter of the timezone at the end;
    Examples:
    - 0800Z would be 8am in Greenwich (England)
    - 0800R would be 8am in New York (United States)

Date:

In the military, the date-formatting is DDMONTHYY;
    Exapmples:
    01JAN12 would be the 1st of January 2012.

Note, that the name of the month is shortend to only 3 letters. Also the year is shortend to only the last two numbers. (2012).
    If you write the month "short" (Only three letters) you also use the "short" year (only last two numbers).
    If you write the month "long" (Complete) you also use the "long" year (Complete);
    Examples:
    01JANUARY2012 would be the 1st of January 2012.

Examples:

In general, the announcement of an Event could be like the following;
    Examples:
    EVENT on 01 JANUARY 2012 at 0800Zulu

Additionally you could add more timezones, simply by adding the phonetic letter;
    Examples:
    EVENT on 01 JANUARY 2012 at 0800Zulu (0300R, 0200S etc)

You could also refer to it by GMT/UTC/Zulu "+" or "-" the hours;
    Examples:
    EVENT on 01 JANUARY 2012 at 0800Romeo (GMT/ZULU/UTC -5)
    (means you need to add 5 hours if you are in GMT Timezone!)

Its could be also possible to link the time-zone list from above, or make it somehow "pop-up", so everybody can simple "add" or "substract" the hours shown in this list, to get the time in this timezone.

PS: I only added The Date-formatting to complete this list! I think everybody understands the dates, so this is not needed. As said, I just added it to complete this list!
    My main-suggestions is to introduce the time-formatting, to make it easier for everybody around the world!

Re: [REQUEST] Military Time and Date formatting for Events, Signups and co

Isn't this just replacing current time zones with another one? People would still have to look up what time Zulu is compared to their current time (EST GMT...) Currently people work out the event based of the time posted 10pm GMT is 5pm EST, how does military time change this? You post 22:00 Zulu this still have to look up their zone and will end up with the same result 17:00R

I'm not putting the idea down, I would just like to know how it makes it easier over the current system?

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Pretty simple;
      Its one system, instead of everybody posting the time for his own time-zone only, or maybe writing wrong times for other time zones (we already had this)

Using one system, has the advantage of always having the same UTC/GMT/Zulu time, and usually everybody knows in which "GMT +/- ?" time-zone he is.

It's just so confusing for me (and maybe other non-US-people) to see all these different stuff, like EDT, EST, East Canada, East US, West US, Toronto time and always different names and times...
      While GMT/UTC/Zulu time is an internationally used time-system, which everybody all over the world knows.

We are internatioal, so my idea was to use an international time-system, which is also the one used by the military, which is pretty cool until we are playing a Military Simulation game, and usually everybody knows how much hours he needs to add or substract to the Zulu/GMT/UTC time.

Comment

There are apps available for your computer that does all this for you instantly with a world clock, I use one of them .Quick, easy and painless.

Comment

Agree with Andy, it will fix my problems with ur time too.

Comment

Just as a suggestion why not have a calendar created for ArmA events. If everyone set's their timezone correctly when setting up their account everyone should see the correct date and time for their timezone. To test this we would need one of the forum admins to create a calendar and then monitor it as event makers post new events.

I am going to put this in CAA as well so they know.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
              I am going to put this in CAA as well so they know.
              Hear u ;)
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Yes, there are apps and all that stuff...

But still, I personally think its alot more easier to just use ONE INTERNATIONAL timezone for ALL Events, instead of everybody posting only his own US-Timezone, and sometimes even adding wrong times for other timeszones.

The ZULU-Time also has another advantage: It's just easier, until they are just named with letter from the phonetic alphabet (A-Z), so you could look it up ALOT easier.
                  Also, most people who play this game already know what's their Zulu/GMT offset (because used by real military all over the world), and how many hours they need to add or substract to the Zulu/GMT time, so maybe you don't even need such an app or whatnot.

For example, I know that my timezone is Zulu/GMT+1 (CET). If I see the signup for an event with Zulu-Time, I could simply add my personal "+1" and I would have the time, without the need of looking up what "EDT, EST, Eastern US, East Canada, Toronto" or whatnot is!
                  You guys are using so many different US-timezones, and don't even name it the same way, thats just so confusing!

Another "advantage" of the Zulu-Time is, as said before, that it is used by the real military all over the world and would add a little more feeling and realism to the forums.

Like in real-life, TG is a joint ops with many many countries from all over the world, and it would be easier to introduce and internation coordinated time, instead of using dozens of US-Timezones from every individual person!

PS: I like the idea with the calender, too! But the Zulu-time should be used their as well!

Comment

Zulu is best as it never uses day light savings

Sometimes people post 10pm GMT when they mean 10pm BST
                    BST is British Summer Time.

Same applies for most time zones that use a system of daylight savings

Whereas military times never change.
                    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                      Zulu is best as it never uses day light savings

Sometimes people post 10pm GMT when they mean 10pm BST
                      BST is British Summer Time.

Same applies for most time zones that use a system of daylight savings

Whereas military times never change.
                      Now I understand what you mean :D

Also, when talking about different times in general, we should also try to find a time-area, that is good for US, aswell as Europe and other countries.
                      There have already been some events around 2000Z or 2100Z, which seems like a good time for everybody.
                      Some events seems to be for "US-Only", because they are at 2300Z (0200C) or even 2400Z, which is an nearly impossible time for us.

It would be cool if we could find a time, that is good for everybdy, especially for events NOT on weekends.
                      For example, the latest event in midweek I could participate at, would be a 2000Z or maybe a 2100Z (I'm +1), because of work next day etc.
                      Last edited by Andy; 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Basically the same thing as you posted. Andy.

He is saying that people posted GMT not considering the BST (British Summer Time) into consideration.

It really isn't hard to figure out which time zone you are at if we all use Zulu.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I'm still a fan of the using a city as a reference. It's a quick look up and there you go. If there were a standard time zone I'd say we'd go with New York EST or Zulu -5 or RTZ(Romeo Time Zone) or EDT (Eastern Daylight savings Time), as this is smack dab in the middle of our player base (unless someone is gaming from the mid Atlantic ocean).

How would you write that Zulu Romeo? or just Romeo? Zulu-R?

I don't think there is a decent way of accomodating all the different zones and their variations with "summer time", "daylight savings", or "golf more everyday time" or what have you. If you use the city method then it should work no matter what. The person who posts the event knows that their time is accurate & everyone else can do the math according to the city posted. It's worse to have a wrong time posted & the events actual time be wrong or adjusted after sign ups have begun.

The next problem is how do you know that "daylight savings" is over 2 days before the posted event date? What time are you planning to show up then? I bet the day of you will find out the difference when you joing TS. It would be interesting if the calender thing would cover that problem too.

Now, there is something we should look at. That calender idea. It's on my very long list to things to check out...first we have a new server to get going, TGMaps to update, events to coordinate, and the 2 do list is very long at the moment but we will look at this.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer
                          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                          189th Infantry Brigade Member
                          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                            I'm still a fan of the using a city as a reference. It's a quick look up and there you go. If there were a standard time zone I'd say we'd go with New York EST or Zulu -5 or RTZ(Romeo Time Zone) or EDT (Eastern Daylight savings Time), as this is smack dab in the middle of our player base (unless someone is gaming from the mid Atlantic ocean).

How would you write that Zulu Romeo? or just Romeo? Zulu-R?
                            [..]
                            And again, sorry, alot of "stuff" I have totally no idea of what it means...

There was still no idea that is "easier" than the Zulu thing.
                            Even if you wrote the "wrong" time in the event info/signup, everybody joins the same time, because Zulu is just the same time everywhere on earth!

Also, as mentioned above, everybody (usually) knows his Zulu "+" or "-" hours.
                            It is (in my personal opinion) the best, and "only" method to have a coordinated time in an international community.

I also like the calander idea, but as said, the Zulu-time should be used there as well.

Comment

agree completly

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X