ACE Artillery & Mortars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] ACE Artillery & Mortars

Due to the recent changes to the ACE Mortars (T&E Removal), I've decided to create this thread to keep players updated on ACE's changes to the systems. This thread will not cover the mortars nor the howitzer in depth.

I will start with how to aim with the mortars now that T&E is gone.

Originally posted by ZephyrDark @ BiForums - ACE Thread
    Well to use the mortars without T&E, you need to use the aiming posts (well you could actually use anything, but the aiming posts do help since you can adjust for parallax with them). Here is a quick step-by-step:
    1. Find out the relative bearing the posts are from the center of the gun. Easiest way to do that is take a Vector-21B, turn it on, and press Alt-R ONCE to change the bearing indicator to 6400 Mils. You want to try to get the two posts directly in line on the center of the Vector's cross-hair. Write that bearing down.

2. Get into the mortar and open up the sight-unit's dialog. Take take the Reset value and then add it to the bearing of the aiming posts. This should give you your Direction/Azimuth of Fire. Write this down.

3. When you get a fire-mission, you will need to find the bearing of the target relative to the mortar. Write that down.

4. Subtract the DoF/AoF from the bearing to target. You will then need to add this number to the gun's deflection (which should be at 3200. Also, remember, when 'adding' a negative number to a positive, you are subtracting the absolute value of negative number from the first. Ex. [ a + (-b) = c ] == [ a - b = c ] ).

5. Set the gunsight's deflection reading to the number you got above.

6. Now, align the gunsight with the aiming posts.

7. To adjust for Parallax Error, you need to measure the distance of the rear post to the front post, in mils (horizontal distance), and then align the sight to the left/right depending on which side the rear post is in relation to the front post. (If left, align left ; if right, align right.) (See ACE Artillery Guide by TacticalGamer.com University - GoogleDocs Section 2 - Parallax Error ID & Adjustment for pictures and better explanation)

8. To align elevation, you simply need to input the appropriate elevation into the elevation setting on the gunsight. Then use the "Barrel Elevation" bubble-level to align the barrel properly. (The bubble levels look like this: |---|o|---| , and yes, I do mean a bubble level, like the one used for carpentry and etc.)

Note: It is possible to use the M1A1 Collimator as an aiming reference, but the set up is a little complicated for me to explain at this moment of time. I will see about writing up something soon.

This thread can also be used to discuss the theory and practice of the systems, in case anybody has any questions or concerns.

Also follow this page for in-depth use of Indirect fire in ArmA2:CO ACE2 : Google Docs: ACE Artillery Reference Guide
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Re: ACE Artillery & Mortars

Officialy confused
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
      Officialy confused
      T&E is gone. So we don't have the hint that pops up telling you what the barrel's azimuth and elevation is. We are now forced to use the Sight Unit dialog. The above is a step-by-step for aiming with the aiming posts. If there's anything else that's confusing you, the questions need to be specific as there is no where to simplify that entire process.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I think I am going to make a mission that requires this thing. There are not enough missions involving heavy fire support.

And it will give you and maybe adept the opportunity to demonstrate/teach the proper operation of such weaponry.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
          T&E is gone. So we don't have the hint that pops up telling you what the barrel's azimuth and elevation is. We are now forced to use the Sight Unit dialog. The above is a step-by-step for aiming with the aiming posts. If there's anything else that's confusing you, the questions need to be specific as there is no where to simplify that entire process.
          No mate, I understand the process. Its just a pain in the ass. Mortars where already complicated enough without removing T&E.

@dimitrius

The mission will need to allow mortars to be either pre setup or have them already GTG in a vehicle. They would be very useful on patrol ops with Illume at night.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Okay Bola, I've created a new note for the unnamed mission and added that as the first pre-requisite. Thanks for the heads up, anything else you need or anticipate, just let me know. I'm thinking Takistan, for obvious reasons, though Celle 2 could certainly use some TLC from our community.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
              No mate, I understand the process. Its just a pain in the ass. Mortars where already complicated enough without removing T&E.
              gotta agree with this, removing TE just makes mortars to much of a pain to use now, there is a thing as being too realistic for a game. Its making it harder for people to pick up and learn without having to read guides they should hurry up and make the MLRS usable anyway instead :D

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                gotta agree with this, removing TE just makes mortars to much of a pain to use now, there is a thing as being too realistic for a game. Its making it harder for people to pick up and learn without having to read guides they should hurry up and make the MLRS usable anyway instead :D
                It is usable. The vanilla method of targetting (the artillery screen) is decently realistic, as wouldn't a computer do all the work for the gunner? (I have no idea how exactly the MLRS works, these are just assumptions)

Also, it only takes a few extra steps now, most required when you initially set up the mortar. Once thats done, its just a matter of having a calculator or a piece of paper and pen on hand. Also, if you set up a Collimator, it makes adjustment of parallax a lot easier.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Personally speaking, I do not see anything wrong with the default artillery module by BIS.
                  It was easy to use provided that you knew the limitations.

There is no need for over complicating the procedures.

Question: would it be possible to just add the default module to work with ace? *crosses fingers*

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                    Personally speaking, I do not see anything wrong with the default artillery module by BIS.
                    It was easy to use provided that you knew the limitations.

There is no need for over complicating the procedures.

Question: would it be possible to just add the default module to work with ace? *crosses fingers*
                    You mean the "Point & Click Computer"? You'd need to use the vanilla mortars. There is no way to have the ACE Mortars work with the vanilla scripts and vice versa.

To be honest, I really do not find the ACE Systems to be THAT complicated. All it requires is a little extra time and thought. Yes, it requires you know what you're doing, but that doesn't take much so long as you have proper materials to research. I don't mean "go out and look up some field manuals", but maybe take a look on youtube, or google it. I am personally working on providing us some documentation for the mortars here at TG; however, I've recently been swamped with work so my progress has been slow.

Oh, and it appears Nou hasn't implemented the scripts to allow for use of the M1A1 Collimator with the mortars yet. That, and the sight unit is different in relation to the Howitzer.
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

You know, there are far easier and quicker ways to setup a mortar w/out having to do math. It involves using map tools and the range tables, plus the use of your spotter walking your rounds onto the target.

See, you can draw straight lines on your map using map tools. So once you have the coords of the target, you can use the protractor to get the proper mils for aiming.

Its kind of the quick and dirty method, but it can work, particularly if you are actually part of the unit being engaged and don't have 45 minutes to setup your fancy little aiming posts.
                      "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                      -Einstein

Comment

Great stuff.
                        But know what? What I don't find is a good, short guide. The Artillery doc (which I have copied) is WIP and I see blank in the Mortar section.

All this is a great help / makes great sense.
                        But here's what I mean. Posts?! Didn't know they were there! (Hey, everybody's been a n00b! <G>)
                        Likewise, how to get to next page in Range Book? I kept looking at 500m thinking "No bloody way that's max range." But knowing there's another page is just the start.

So: is there a good short guide somewhere?
                        3 of us tried to use mortar in mission the other day ... great mission / great squad work ... all rounds short. meh

TIA
                        --Dawks

Comment

Re: ACE Artillery &amp; Mortars

There is Artillery & Mortars class what TG have been doing for people to show them how to use Artillery & Mortars... Plus you can watch vids on youtube if your having trouble :)
                          sigpic

Comment

Re: ACE Artillery &amp; Mortars

Originally posted by Tremblay[75thR] View Post
                            Great stuff.
                            But know what? What I don't find is a good, short guide. The Artillery doc (which I have copied) is WIP and I see blank in the Mortar section.
                            All this is a great help / makes great sense.
                            But here's what I mean. Posts?! Didn't know they were there! (Hey, everybody's been a n00b! <G>)
                            Likewise, how to get to next page in Range Book? I kept looking at 500m thinking "No bloody way that's max range." But knowing there's another page is just the start.
                            Tremblay,

Hello! Not sure we have met. My name is Garthra, and I am the TGU instructor that has recently been teaching arty classes.

There is no really quick and simple mortar document at present. There are lots of videos online, but some are dated, and rarely does one explain everything fully. If you are interested in learning mortars, I will be teaching more basic arty (m119) and intermediate arty (mortar) courses after the holidays. (After January 6th.)

I am always glad when people are interested in arty. Watch the forums for when classes are. There are lots of videos online to help you. If you are a subscribing member you can request a private lesson, which I will be happy to teach. You can also request TGU schedule classes at this forum: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/class-requests/.

Hope this helps!
                            Garthra
                            [TGU Instructor]

PS
                            Probably the best quick summary is the first post in this thread, for mortars.
                            Last edited by Garthra; 12-23-2012, 12:09 PM.
                            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X