X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma3... I have my worries.

After watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdXv-qzgOEY

I worry that Arma3 may turn out to be more sandbox COD than what we as players are usually used to. I know there are "main characters" as such in Arma2, but I found the campaign more objective based, capture this town, destroy this objective for example. I am pleased with the steps the developers have made since Arma2, ragdoll physics, updated vehicle handling and overall new stuff to bring into the game!!

Just wanted to know if anyone had their worries. :)
    sigpic

Re: Arma3... I have my worries.

same worries...

Comment

Have no fear, whatsoever. Mostly because by the time we get around to playing it, it will be heavily modded with ACRE and ACE, or similar addons, and we will be making our own missions.

I haven't touched the ARMA2 campaign in years and ARMA2 game play is different from "Bravo Experience"

That and one must remember, this is the same engine(Real Virtuality) that has been with ARMA since day one, and we make the experience, the game itself is just the tool we wield to forge it.

No worries, that's my take.
      Last edited by Dimitrius; 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Sooooo can anyone name a single feature that's been cut or made less realistic? And the campaign's stated influence is A) OFP: Resistance while B) the campaign doesn't matter anyways because most of us will barely play it.

Comment

A lot of the stuff in ArmA3 can be considered unrealistic. These are changes done so by BiStudio for sake of Gameplay.

Another note: The campaign in the ArmA series from my knowledge (at least A2) has never really been made to simulate real life war. They made it to be realistic but not to the point that it was no longer a game. The multiplayer game has and will always be completely different to the scripted campaign. Since we as players can develop our own missions, we can place restrictions and rules to make missions play out more realistically. We can also develop mods and addons that change the way the game works and to simulate or more 'real' environment and scenario.

So in other words: I am not worried, just disappointed that BI has taken the route they have. I understand they are a company, and that they have to feed their families, but I really wish they stayed on the path they were on with ArmA2.
          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

After watching the videos I have no worries, it just makes me think the campaign compared to A2 might actually be fun versus feeling like a job. As for the multiplayer environment as others have noted modding is still apart of the game at it's core so whatever we don't like we can rebuild or simply script/code out.

Simply I would say just enjoy the campaign for what it is. You have to remember that BIS could just give us a sandbox without any default content but they go the extra ten thousand miles to actually show us how it is done and that with the game anything is possible.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that the 3D editor was removed from the confirmed list but hopefully they will add it in later on.
            sigpic

Comment

There is more stuff I like in what I have seen about Arma3 than I dislike.

There is a stamina system for example where how much you carry effects how far and fast you can move (sounds very much like ACE to me)
              weapon attachments
              rag-doll
              physics
              real time reflections
              Underwater stuff

So what if the campaign sucks we never play it anyway :)
              and if its dumbed down who cares we play on expert mode anyway :)
              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                Mostly because by the time we get around to playing it, it will be heavily modded with ACRE and ACE, or similar addons, and we will be making our own missions.
                We will be playing this asap fyi. It will be a great time to have our community all playing the same version for a while before the mods are released. It will be an exciting time. There is lots to look forward to as new content gets released & developed by the community as well.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer
                Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                189th Infantry Brigade Member
                SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Wrong choice of words. I meant "when" it comes around, lol.

I'll probably not be sleeping the night I get it.

also, BL!P put it the best.

Underwater stuff.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Not worried at all though I will be very disappointed if the 3D editor doesn't make the cut, and to echo previous sentiments

'Locking out of a submarine', sorry but I will be so excited the first time I do this I will probably make fake 'scuba/rebreather' sounds on voip. That is until ACE/ACRE release a 'rebreather voice modulator' for TS!

Comment

I think ArmA 3 will be pretty much the same as ArmA 2 (In terms of the general game-mechanics), but with alot of improvements and additions we have waited for so long...

Like Physics, Ragdolls, Picture-in-picture, alot more realistic cockpits and gauges (like Take on Helicopters), the lighting is improved and alot of stuff we may don't even know about yet...

For me personally, there are only 3 things I really worry about:

1. DayZ: Will DayZ have a "bad" influence on ArmA 3 (or will it show a "wrong" picture of the complete game/franchise?)
                      2. Multiplayer: What mods will be released, what will be possible in terms of editor and missons etc
                      3. 'Present Time' Military Simulation: ArmA 3 will be playing in the future. I like it in terms of the campain and singleplayer.
                      But I don't like the idea of "furutistic stuff" in multiplayer (I know, all of the stuff is based on current real-life developments).

I like the way ArmA 2 developed. It was playing in the present time, you could use real-life tactics because you had real-life equipment.
                      You always had some kind of "connection" to the real-life military around the world, with Real-Life-Soldiers teaching you Real-Life stuff that actually works ingame...

It may sounds stupid, but I like (and prefer) the 'Afghanistan-like' environments in the present time. I want to have an M4, HMMWVs and Insurgents with AKs...
                      Not some futuristic stuff, helmets with HUD and high-tech-Iranian-enemies fighting on a Greek island...

I hope there will be mods/addons for ArmA 3 which will bring us back into the "present time" and "downgrade" the ingame-technology to todays technology...

I'm pretty sure that I will buy ArmA 3 ASAP and will play the campaign, but I'm very unsure about Multiplayer. It depends on how it plays out.

At least I will stick with ArmA 2 for some more time =)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        1. DayZ: Will DayZ have a "bad" influence on ArmA 3 (or will it show a "wrong" picture of the complete game/franchise?)
                        2. Multiplayer: What mods will be released, what will be possible in terms of editor and missons etc
                        3. 'Present Time' Military Simulation: ArmA 3 will be playing in the future. I like it in terms of the campain and singleplayer.
                        But I don't like the idea of "furutistic stuff" in multiplayer (I know, all of the stuff is based on current real-life developments).
                        1. Probably at first but since DayZ is going to be a standalone product many players who bought ArmA 2 for the purpose of playing it might not even buy ArmA 3.
                        2. I think in terms of mods everything that we could accomplish in A2 will be available plus a lot more in A3, remember this isn't like they reinvented the wheel they are just improving what they already have. Also I think we may see even crazier mods with the introduction of Java.
                        3. I think initially we will probably have to wait for current or old tech in this case to be ported or redesigned for A3 but really BIS may in-fact include some of these items at launch (no proof) but the insurgents and opfor have to be using something.

Also as a final note with most things in the multiplayer environment the mission maker has the last word on whats included. Who knows you might be running around in your skivvies at night with a M9 SD trying to infiltrate the enemy base to rescue your teddy bear, all without NVGs.
                        sigpic

Comment

What? We have a 3d editor in Arma2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4oo9...ure=plpp_video
                          "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                          -Einstein

Comment

Andy, I'm the opposite in some senses, I could care less about the SP and I'm all about the MP.

Better engine for one, and for me the devil is in the details. The animation system is not just about the ragdoll physics. To be honest I could care less what my target does after I've drilled it, it's down. What I do care about, being an infantry nut, is the improved 'sighted in, weapon at the shoulder' animations'. Now, whilst these may seem like a minor detail to some it will revolutionise Arma for many. It is another step in removing the slight clunkiness of CQB (which I actually prefer) and slowly bring about the almost helmet cam realism. I simply cannot wait to move through a compound at a 3/4 (duck walk) stance and be able to engage close range targets without the slightly over exaggerated scope sway that currently exists.

Couple that with Track IR and a high end rig and you are talking about some serious immersion. Tack on the DM4 M4 mod, which has much better, more realistic optics and I am set.

Then you have the underwater stuff, oh my.

Yeah I personally hate the 'never made it off the drawing board, polymer based, bullpup, future guns' that seem so nice at trade fairs but never go into service for a reason. Yeah, I dislike the Future Warfighter, Apple HUD helmet that basically breaks the second you get in the field, or runs out of batteries etc.

The point with Arma is that what you're really buying is the engine, no question. You're buying the possibilities and the keys for modders to deliver the stuff the devs didn't have time to.

Comment

Originally posted by zilfondel View Post
                              What? We have a 3d editor in Arma2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4oo9...ure=plpp_video
                              Yes but its far from being a workable production editor. I think what many people expect out of a 3d editor is on par with things like the Crysis Editor or Unreal Tournament 3 Editor.

The only thing that comes close to 3D editor for A2 is the RTE V. You can find it here or on ArmAholic.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X