X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SUGGESTION] For bravo server

Turn off all side chats
    realism rocks :)
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Re: [SUGGESTION] For bravo server

I am not sure this can be done. I know it was achieved in DayZ but I am not sure how. I agree though if it can be done, do it :D

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

That would be awesome.
      Only allow "Direct Communication" Chat for everybody.
      Anything else only for Logged-In Admin (or maybe all Leading-Elements, everybody who can use the "Commanding Channel").

SideChat is very annoying and gets "abused" alot for chattering.
      Also, JIP stuff isn't short at all, people need like 20 messages to get a JIP to their spot, instead of one single message.
      Also, its mainly needed in patrol Ops, and there we Have JIP Markers/Tasks.

Comment

We just went through this a few months ago guys. The current system is the best we have for including JIP's. So if you want to have a word with side chat frequent flyers that should work. It just should be taboo to use side chat. We don't need to engineer another barrier as there are many different missions with different scenarios and we need a way for folks to communicate. If there isn't then you must always leave an RTO at base to coordinate JIPs and that is all they will do....then you must set up the relay stations if there is no retransmit....how many players are only playing with their ACRE radios.

I mean, I like the role myself, but I know I'm a minority. I'm under no illusion about that. I don't expect people to spend their gaming time operating a relay station. Do you know how many snacks you can eat when your not pressing the w, a, d, & s keys? More, you can eat more I mean.

But seriously, use chat respectfully. We use ACRE for good reason. Have respect when your fellow gamers ask for the side chat to be limited and the same the other way. I think we can manage that amongst ourselves.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

"Community of like minded gamers"

community
          com·mu·ni·ty   [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]
          noun, plural com·mu·ni·ties.
          • a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.
          • a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe.

Work along side your fellow gamers, whether new or old. Instruct each other if need be, correct each other, try to work with another to maintain & grow your community.

Don't ask the admins to change the universe for you; they are merely there to police it. It is up to you and your fellow gamers to make it fun and cool for all, including the admin team.

my 2 cents worth

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I'm in the camp that thinks disabling it is trying to solve a problem where there isn't one. Yes, there are occassions in which it (side) is used inappropriately, but i think disabling it is overkill. As already mentioned, using the peer pressure method to make it a taboo should be effective enough.

If people can't control themselves, that's another issue entirely. I think we're a mature, respectful, thoughtful, and teamwork oriented bunch.... amiright?! :)
            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Good answers, it would have been just another brick in the wall. We don't need no....

Comment

Regarding the Bravo Server:

I have developed a script that enables JIPs to get their hands on a long-range radio at the base. Combined with a RXMT system built into a mission, allows for JIPs to easily contact the platoon/squad RTO or CO. This cuts down the side chat significantly when it comes to JIPs. Of course, there's always times where missions do not incorporate such a system or the scripts fail to work (it happens, if when they normally work). When situations like these arise, side chat may be necessary to keep the flow of a mission forward.

Download link for my script pack, contains the JIP Radio script & ACRE RXMT Set-Up script: http://www.mediafire.com/?ni62uygvu68u6i3

[EDIT-Sidenote]: I am against turning off side-chat, if it is not obvious enough to tell.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

:)

One simple example of how it breaks the "game play fun".

Joe blogs joins server.
                  Nice TG guy spends 3 mins typing in chat to get Joe onto TS.
                  Nice TG guy spends 30 mins getting Joe sorted on ts with updates and forum sign ups.
                  Nice TG guy and Joe blogs rejoin game -- Mission is Over !!

----
                  Example 2
                  ----

Joe blogs joins server (no side chat)
                  Joe blogs wants to play with TG so figures stuff out for himself and comes back.

TG guy plays game and enjoys it !!

Comment

Whats the harm in trying the server for a week with side off ?

Its ok saying it will do this or do that but if you don't try it you wont know !

MY TWO PENCE WORTH !! ( damn yanks stealing our expressions :) )

Comment

What random pubby is going to take the time to set all that crap up by him/herself without even the slightest inkling of what were about? How are we supposed to expand the community by putting more and more restrictions in place on ways to become part of it?

I know how ironic that sounds seeing as i despise vanilla and what not but still. We are not an elitest clan focused on super 1337 tacticools yo. We are a like minded gaming community for young, old, experienced and new gamers alike. Im always down for trying new things but Im putting it on the table now, it would be a mistake.
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Guys,

This has already been raised and discussed.

@bl1p i understand your point of having the server not having side chat to increase realism, however, this will only decrease situational awareness to new players, who may be new to TG. Also, buddy, no one forces you too help out players, ARMA+ACE+ACRE is a huge beast and is quite overwhelming to new players as you know. Everybody hugely appreciates the time you and other players put into helping new players join the server and get set up. Having no side chat would increase the complications of drawing new players to TG and that's just not the direction the GO wants the server to go.
                        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                        Former ARMA Admin
                        Former ARMA TGU instructor
                        Former TGU Headmaster
                        Current Noob
                        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                          Whats the harm in trying the server for a week with side off ?

Its ok saying it will do this or do that but if you don't try it you wont know !

MY TWO PENCE WORTH !! ( damn yanks stealing our expressions :) )
                          Yeah, why don't we just try it out?

The idea came from the community, and we collected good reasons for disabling Side Chat.
                          Sure, we have the rules, but as Bl1p said, people are writing for minutes to get peoples game, mods and teamspeak running, which totally destroys immersion for other players.
                          Not everybody understands the rules the same way: Some write one short message to JIPs, with Grid, Radio and thats it. Other writing 20 messages to get the JIP to their location, and explain him the story of the complete mission.

I really think we could try it for a week, and maybe we could try the script mentioned above.

Comment

No communication available for any JIP's is no solution only an open door to shut the door. Direct any Jip's to the Arma Help channel and I or any Arma Admin will assist. Also, any of the players could jump out of game to help someone else to get set up one time and you will have a gaming partner for a long time. You don't have to be an Admin to help someone, we are thankful and appreiciate all the help we get.
                            Last edited by SARGE; 09-01-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

From my point of view, it should be a matter of a players own restraint. Side chat has its place and it is up to the community to pay attention to the guidelines of proper in-game text-based communication.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X