This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] ThirdSin's How To: Get New Players setup on Bravo TS while in game

ThirdSin's handy dandy water-boarding on-boarding guide for Regulars handling new players without ACRE/TS

How many times have you seen the following conversation occur over Side Chat?

NewPlayer has joined the game
    RegularPlayer (Side): HEY, NEWPLAYER, YOU NEEDZ TEAMSPEAK AND ACRE TO PLAY HERE. GET ON TEAMSPEAK.
    NewPlayer: either hasn't loaded or isn't quite sure how to proceed since people are yelling at him.

A minute or two go by...

RegularPlayer (Side): NEWPLAYER, TEAMSPEAK IS REQUIRED ON THIS SERVER TO PLAY HERE. PLEASE RESPOND.

From here, the dance of demanding a response and compliance continues until generally the new player just drops from the server, probably never to be seen again. Congrats, you've just lost one more potential regular to play larger missions with! Sarcasm hinted.

My suggestion instead of the above would go more like this:
    RegularPlayer (Side): Hey NewPlayer, do you have Teamspeak?
    NewPlayer: either hasn't loaded or isn't quite sure how to proceed since people are already talking to him.

A minute or two go by...

RegularPlayer (Side): Hey NewPlayer, we use Teamspeak and ACRE to communicate on this server, this is our server address: ts.tacticalgamer.com:9988. Do you need a hand setting it up?
    NewPlayer (Side): OK, yea I have no idea what it is...
    RegularPlayer (Side): No problem, all you have to do is install TeamSpeak and register an account on our forums. You can find those steps laid out here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...formation.html
    NewPlayer (Side): OK, i'll do that now.
    RegularPlayer (Side): Cool, just let me know if you get stuck.

The difference if you couldn't tell, is that the Regular is reaching out to help, and not barking demands. What kind of environment would you want to join?

I think the community can find simple tweaks to this, but the point is that we are trying to help get new people setup and to do so in a friendly, welcoming manner. I've just seen so many Regulars handle this the wrong way, so countless players have just DC'd and never come back. Its just as easy to be friendly and welcoming as it is to be harsh and not represent what we strive for here at TG. Do you want more players and to be able to play larger (epic) missions? Get these people setup and joining us on Tactical Gamer! After all, I bet someone did it for you.
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: ThirdSin's How To: Get New Players setup on Bravo TS while in game

Hm...
    I personally don't like the idea, because It leads to two of the problems I personally hate most:

1. You have an endless chatter on SideChat, going for minutes and spamming your screen with blue text.

2. Somebody needs to jump out off the game to help these guys, which is not so good.

My Suggestion:

We have Admins sitting in Admin-Channel All day long, somtimes only one guy, sometimes four or more. The admins could have a look into console sometimes, and If they see somebody who asks for help, he can pop in the TS IP and a short Info-Text from Console (which appears as one white text, instead of several blue texts).
    If the player jumps on TeamSpeak (which happens in 90% of all cases), he can just jump up to him and help him.

What problems would we solve? -> Both

1. The admin can get ONE message into the chat, which has no maximum letter-count, and can be already in his cliboard. This text could contain all info, Like TeamSpeak download, TS IP and the need for ACE and ACRE.
    You have one "large" message in Chat, instead of having long blue-texted conversations going on.

2. Nobody needs to drop off game, and the game can keep going without waiting for somebody. If the New-Guy has set up everything, we can give him an introduction to all the Ingame-Stuff like ACE and ACRE etc.
    But the technical Installation-stuff shouldn't be handeled by Regular Players... at least not if there are admins in the channel.

Also, for me it's more important to have "Quality" Gameplay, instead of "Quantatiy" wihh dozens of players who have no glue of anything, or aren't even interested in this kind of gaming.

That's my opinnion.

EDIT: I don't mean to not help at all. But in the case that the TS-IP alone and the question to join TS is not enough, and Admin or somebody "not-ingame" could jump in and do it.
    Of course I want more players, and I want to help them, thats not the problem. But I just don't like these long conversations going on, and people talking on global in TeamSpeak.
    Sure, when New-Guys come in, we play a Seeder mission most of the times. But we have pretty high-quality gameplay, and I use a "seeder" as a regular missions, and it's almost always played like one. Blue chat-conversations just destroy my personal illusion and distract me from gameplay.

Comment

Guess we are on two different pages here.

I don't think punting the new player to the Admins is 1. Fair or 2. Realistic.
      Do you really think we will have an admin waiting at all hours to help out a new player get setup? Not sure if youre living in the same world as i am, bud!
      We are the players who benefit from getting new people to play with, why shouldnt we shoulder even a small part of the responsibility to create a great gaming environment (helping new players)?

I'd also refute your presumption that it would create 'endless' chatter over Side. Yes, getting them on TS will take some exchanges to get them setup - but this would happen anyway if we are asking them to get on TS. So we can waste our 'chatter' demanding they get on Teamspeak over and over again, or we can send them the info and help that they need instead. One approach isn't productive in anyway, one is. And both probably end up taking the same amount of time / messages.

Originally posted by The Tactical Gamer Primer
      Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

+1 You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ThirdSin again.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

+Gazillion rep ThirdSin. Someone who understands what being part of a community means.

Comment

The idea with the admin came up today:

There where like 4 admins in the ArmA Admin channel, and we had some new guys on the server.
            As I added in the edit, if there's no Admin, we can do it. I have no problem with doing it the "long" polite way.
            But when admins are there, or if the guy knows how to use TeamSpeak, I will stick to the short version, which contains "Hello NAME. Being on TeamSpeak and having ACRE installed is required to play here, not optional. TS IP: HERE"
            If hes not responding, I say it again, or if I'm close to him I will use "Ingame-Direct-Comms-Von".
            Otherwise I will hand it over to an Admin, they can handle it aswell, I think. That's why they are sitting in the ArmA Admin Channel.

I just don't like this awesome-long blue chattering.
            If we get some kind of example message with all infos, we can just copy it in side-chat (clipboard, macro on keyboard), to prevent "helping players" from writing this:

RegularPlayer (Side): Hey NewPlayer
            NewPlayer (Side): hi...
            RegularPlayer (Side): you have teamspeak?
            RegularPlayer (Side): its required here
            NewPlayer (Side): no...
            RegularPlayer (Side): Yeah, you need it
            RegularPlayer (Side): ip is here: [TS IP HERE]
            NewPlayer (Side): hm, is not working
            NewPlayer (Side): what can i do
            NewPlayer (Side): ?
            RegularPlayer (Side): Do this
            RegularPlayer (Side): and that
            RegularPlayer (Side): and this aswell
            NewPlayer (Side): okay
            NewPlayer (Side): wait one
            RegularPlayer (Side): kk, waiting
            RegularPlayer (Side): just tell us when finish
            NewPlayer (Side): okay

ETC
            ETC
            ETC

And yes, thats exactly how it happens when new guys join.

Thats what I don't like... when a simple "You need ACE, ACRE, and TeamSpeak to play here. TeamSpeak: Teamspeakdownloadlink.com IP: tacticalgamerteamspeak.ip" escalates into minutes of chatter and 3-word-posts/sentences...
            I have no problem with helping players, and explaining.
            But experience tells me, that players are chattering all the time, and making posts with 3 words, which spams your screen continously with ultra-short messages. And it takes 5 messages just to explain "You need TeamSpeak, this is IP:"

You understand what I mean? I like your idea, and if it works that short and quick, its fine!
            But I'm pretty sure it will end up with what I just explained above.

Comment

ThirdSin's How To: Get New Players setup on Bravo TS while in game

Problem with Admins?
              We have other things to do while on TeamSpeak besides getting players into our community. None of us really just 'hang out' in channel.

To clarify for you. Myself for example, I stay on Admin channel for these reasons; update of current events that are for Admin ears only.
              Discussion of future projects. Working for TGU material. Helping new players if our admin team is not able. List goes on. Etc.

For the past months. I have spent too many nights/days working on the TGU projects that I had literally no time what so ever to even think about helping new players or even playing the game with the community members.

Players demand for TGU was raised, I am working all hours to meet that demand. Courses have been given o late. We are making progress.

Admins are also players too. No one should demand from the admins. They are sacrificing their own free time to help the community. Have you?

While I understand your plight, please remember when posting in the future.
              That this is a community. Every one pitches in to make it to what they would ideally want.

Besides, if the blue text is soo annoying just learn to ignore it. Your fellow gamers will appreciate your situational awareness in the virtual battlefield.

My 10000000 cents of nothing.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Here is my two pence worth

I spend about 8 -12 hrs on bravo a day when i can.
                out of the 8 - 12 hrs I will spend 4 - 6 hrs getting players sorted with what they need to play on bravo.
                Or teaching them the in and outs of ace systems and gear.

What people see the one time they join bravo for a few seconds does not always mean that is what happens all the time.
                We do all you ask and more.

Your suggestions are right and are already being used.

But next time spend the time helping rather than thinking of a forum post ?

Its Always good to remember that when you join some players have been dealing with jips for the past 6-8 hrs

Sitting in a game AFK thinking of a forum post to gain +1 reps from admins isnt really helping anyone on bravo.
                The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Here is a typical help secession from me to a newer player.

BL1P : Hello BOB you need to use team speak and Acre to play here do you have them.

(no answer for 5 mins)

BL1P : Hello BOB you need to use team speak and Acre to play here do you have them.

BOB : nope

BL1P: Ok m8 nps you need to download team speak and acre.

(no answer from bob for 5 mins)

BL1P : HELLO BOB ?

BOB : what ?

BL1P : you need to download team speak and acre.

BOB : Ohh Ok how ?

(15 mins later bob has team speak)

BOB : OK cool i have team speak what was the other thing ?

BL1P : ACRE

(5 mins no answer)

BL1P : HELLO BOB ?

BOB : hey whats up man.

BL1P : Did you get ACRE yet ?

BOB : NOPE

BL1P : OK do you have sixupdater ?

BOB : NOPE

BL1P : Ok nps Aswell as ACRE and TeamSpeak you need sixupdater

BOB : OK 1 sec.

BL1P : OK you 15 guys on the server wait another few minutes please this guy is almost done...

(Wait 5 mins)

BL1P : hey bob ?

BOB : Yup ?

BL1P : you got six yet ?

BOB : What was it called again the chat keeps vanishing !!!

BL1P : Sixupdater :(

BOB : ok 1 sec.

(waits 5 mins)

BL1P : bob ?

System : Player BOB has lost connection (battleye kicked)
                  Player: BOB Disconnected

BL1P : OK GUYS MOUNT UP WE ARE MOVING OUT !!!

(5 mins later)
                  Team is on a town outside base

Player: BOB connected.

BOB : Hey BL1P YOU THERE ?

BL1P : CONVOY HALT.
                  BL1P : BOB YES THIS IS BL1P you got six-updater yet ?

BOB : O right thats what its called BRB.

(15 mins later)

Convoy has moved people have died
                  3 regular players have joined

Player: BOB connected

JIP reg1 : BL1P I NEED LZ FOR JIPS
                  BOB: BL1P I HAVE TEAM SPEAK AND ACRE
                  TEAM : WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG.

BL1P : JIPS LZ ON MAP
                  BL1P: BOB OK NOW YOU NEED TO REGISTER ON TG FORUMS AND REGISTER YOUR TEAM SPEAK UID
                  BL1P : IM SORRY TEAM

BOB : CANT BE ARSED SEE YA

TEAM : THIS MISSION SUCKS TAKES TO LONG

Player : DayzRocks connected
                  Player : BOB disconnected
                  Player : Thirdsin connected

BL1P : DayzRocks YOU NEED ACER AND TEAM SPEAK TO PLAY HERE IT IS REQUIRED......

Thirdsin : im gona explain how its done in a forum post !!!

Comment

Thanks Bl1p, thats what I meant in my post.

If you can give us an example post, fine.

But as I said, we already try to do it like this, but sometimes people are just not able to do it.
                    I still try to stick to my usual version. I write one message, tell him he needs TeamSpeak and ACRE, and give him IP. I do this maximum 3 times, then I contact admin and adios.
                    If a player is really interested in playing, he will listen and tries to figure it out.
                    People like BoB... well... they are Bob's.

And to be honest, a person who is not able to listen (or read) and don't cares about all the stuff... do we really "need" such people on the Bravo Server? (Bob is an extrem example xD)

So yeah, ThirdSin, I will just poke you if we have a new player, and you can try your luck with few SideMessages as possible =)

Congrats to your +Green-Reputation-Point!
                    I still have my red thingie...

EDIT:
                    Also, I don't see the problem with ONE message like this:

"Welcome NewPlayer. TeamSpeak and ACRE are required to play here. Come and join our TS at [IPHERE]. There you can get help if needed."

That works almost everytime. If it wouldn't be working, we wouldn't have players on Bravo, right?!

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                      Here is my two pence worth

I spend about 8 -12 hrs on bravo a day when i can.
                      out of the 8 - 12 hrs I will spend 4 - 6 hrs getting players sorted with what they need to play on bravo.
                      Or teaching them the in and outs of ace systems and gear.

What people see the one time they join bravo for a few seconds does not always mean that is what happens all the time.
                      We do all you ask and more.

Your suggestions are right and are already being used.

But next time spend the time helping rather than thinking of a forum post ?

Its Always good to remember that when you join some players have been dealing with jips for the past 6-8 hrs

Sitting in a game AFK thinking of a forum post to gain +1 reps from admins isnt really helping anyone on bravo.
                      Bl1p, no one is questioning what you do to help people, or how often you do it. As far as your comment about 'spending my time helping rather than making a forum post" - I think you're kinda outta line there bud.
                      I saw something happening over and over and decided to post something so that more eyes could see and learn from it. I'm not taking anything away from what you do, but you're also not the only one that spends their time getting people setup and sorted one way or another. The state of our player base kinda 'is what it is'. A lot of newer blood requires more time to learn how to do things in ARMA, and once at a proficient level, they can start helping others too. This sample I put up was my way of showing those who might not realize the results of what their words or actions create. To be frank, if a player wants to speak up and Demand a JIP get on Teamspeak, they can speak up in a more mature, respectful, and helpful manner. Momma always said if you ain't got nothing nice to say, simply don't say it.

I'm sorry if I somehow let you down today by not getting active in game once I joined and taking over CO responsibility, but a couple RL things popped up that I had to deal with, and then I saw one more instance of side chat demands of a new player to get on TS. (For those not in the know, I joined the server during patrol ops and shortly there after just sat in a corner at main (for 30m-1hr) doing stuff at home (showering, eating, and creating my original post above). As I was sitting at base, I saw this player join, walk over to the crate, get a weapon, then be less than professionally told to get on TS. It just made zero sense to me. He'd done nothing wrong other than not know what our environment was like and how to get setup. After being asked twice in all caps, he just dc'd. Yay, that'll teach him to join TG.... grab your torch and pitchfork, a new player doesn't know what he's doing, get him! I'm exagerating of course. But being a bystander to it all drove me to do something. Curse me for watching the same event unfold over and over and doing something to try and bring about even a small change of some sort....

Comment

A quicker way would be to ask them to install team viewer and do that for them actually cutting the time by half

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post
                          Bl1p, no one is questioning what you do to help people, or how often you do it. As far as your comment about 'spending my time helping rather than making a forum post" - I think you're kinda outta line there bud.
                          I saw something happening over and over and decided to post something so that more eyes could see and learn from it. I'm not taking anything away from what you do, but you're also not the only one that spends their time getting people setup and sorted one way or another. The state of our player base kinda 'is what it is'. A lot of newer blood requires more time to learn how to do things in ARMA, and once at a proficient level, they can start helping others too. This sample I put up was my way of showing those who might not realize the results of what their words or actions create. To be frank, if a player wants to speak up and Demand a JIP get on Teamspeak, they can speak up in a more mature, respectful, and helpful manner. Momma always said if you ain't got nothing nice to say, simply don't say it.

I'm sorry if I somehow let you down today by not getting active in game once I joined and taking over CO responsibility, but a couple RL things popped up that I had to deal with, and then I saw one more instance of side chat demands of a new player to get on TS. (For those not in the know, I joined the server during patrol ops and shortly there after just sat in a corner at main (for 30m-1hr) doing stuff at home (showering, eating, and creating my original post above). As I was sitting at base, I saw this player join, walk over to the crate, get a weapon, then be less than professionally told to get on TS. It just made zero sense to me. He'd done nothing wrong other than not know what our environment was like and how to get setup. After being asked twice in all caps, he just dc'd. Yay, that'll teach him to join TG.... grab your torch and pitchfork, a new player doesn't know what he's doing, get him! I'm exagerating of course. But being a bystander to it all drove me to do something. Curse me for watching the same event unfold over and over and doing something to try and bring about even a small change of some sort....

I am sorry you feel I was out of line for pointing out that you sat AFK and made a forum post.
                          Alas that is what you did however.

That 30 mins to 1hr you spent on the server, observing what was happening. was the tail end of a session which had already been underway for about 3-5 hours ?
                          In which I may add the regulars on the server had introduced 2 or 3 new players to TG who where on the server playing with us.
                          We took the time to explain to them how to join TS and register which they did.
                          Madcat was one
                          and simblack was another
                          the 3rd if there was one I do not remember his name.

We had had new players join who stole choppers, who destroyed assets and who just totally ignored us.

I do not feel let down by you at all. nor was I upset you didnt CO.
                          I Just felt that the 30mins -1hr you spent isnt enough time to say "you are doing it wrong do it this way"

If we were getting out our pitch forks and chasing away the new players.
                          The player base on bravo would be shrinking not growing daily and the admins would not be spending so much time dealing with new Bravo players on TS if we where not helping the new players Get onto TS in the first place.

Others and Myself do our best to get the new players into the team speak and to help with getting the newer players up and running with ACRE and ACE.
                          Myself I dont want or need a badge or +1 rep for this.
                          But I also dont need telling your scaring players away when the opposite would seem more correct.

All that being said :)

I do understand that from your point of view it may seem that we where overly abrupt with players.

Albeit a poor reflection of what actually happens on bravo.

This isnt a dig a you Thirdsin.
                          Your premise is sound.
                          I am just defending the regulars on Bravo who spend most of their gaming time helping others.

Comment

Is it possible to get a short(er) URL for the TeamSpeak information? It would be a lot more easier to remember when linking (for both parties).

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

I'd like to recommend this:

1) mission developer can put something like that at the end of Init.sqf

Code:
                              titleText[ "***************************\n***   Welcome to TG Bravo   ***\n***************************\n\n\n\n
                              To play here you need TeamSpeak and ACRE\n\n
                              For more info please visit www.TacticalGamer.com or Join TS: 74.52.1.234:9988\n\n\n\n
                              !!!  HAVE A NICE GAME  !!!                             \n\n","plain",1.7];
                              where 1.7 - time how long title will be on screen after connecting to server, no1 will miss this.

2) mission developer can put info in Notes/Briefing as Info for new players

3) could be very helpful if CO after mission start will put 2 marks on map at respawn point with weblink and TS: IP

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X