X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Bravo mod's poll

Gentleman,

Please vote on the inclusion of the following MODS. Depending on the feedback we get, ALL or NONE may be added. Keep this thread succinct and to the point. The poll will close in one week from today, so that the mods are added for next weekend.

MODS BY TYPE

MODELS (UNIT & WEAPONS)
    Chechen Rebels by colonel stagler

MODELS (VEHICLES)
    M109A6 Paladin by Soul_Assassin
    UKF Weapons Pack
    CHECHEN REBELS BY COLONEL STAGLER
    36.17%
    M109A6 BY SOUL_ASSAIN
    27.66%
    UKF WEAPONS PACK
    36.17%

The poll is expired.

sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: Bravo mod's poll

Looks great. I see nothing wrong with being able to play as another type of unit and getting more weapons. It adds more of a variety for the mission editors to choose from. Nothing can go wrong with getting more, right? My vote is yes, I would love these new mods added.

Comment

Honestly, these all seem extraneous as even the Merc units don't even get used. Most -- a vast majority -- of assets are not used properly at this time anyway, so I think a Paladin would be... unfruitful and just another "toy" like Strykers and Lynxs etc. The UKF weapons pack is the same song second verse: people already clamor at getting precisely the weapon they want, why foster that behaviour?

I vote none, but if one was ABSOLUTELY going to be put on, I vote Chechen Rebels because it seems the most reasonable addition without catering to gameplay styles (namely I want THIS gun, not THAT gun -- and improper use of assets) we already try to avoid.

Comment

Thanks for the constructive feedback Fuzzy. As i said, we may include all or none. This comes back to the players. If you want the MODS, The mission makers among us need to include them into missions.
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Definitely, Bola.

I guess here's the nuts and bolts of what I'm getting at. We already have artillery, and it works in an almost identical fashion -- and as you know, TGU instructors are trying to get people up to speed on that and I personally don't want to have to ruin that with adding a Paladin that is really just a cool -- albeit mobile -- arty clone. As far as UKF, the biggest addition would be the blankfire weapons but if that's what we want, there is a script (one line script, too) that allows for that to be done with all weapons. And it kind of sets up a slippery slope. Why UKF? Why not RH M4/M16/M249 RA? Why not any of the other thirty-bazillion weapons packs? And I do really like the Chechen Rebel models and new faces. I think that'd be a cool addition that wouldn't perpetuate our "I have to have the gun I want" or "I have to have this cool toy" gameplay.

I think if we were to add anything, I'd rather see a new island like Hazar-kot or Baghdad or the old-school Avgani/Afghan Village (which were huge hits in ArmA1 on the TG server) with what we currently have and explore what we've got more in-depth. We've really got the basics down, and personally I don't see why we need "more" when we don't even use what we have to its full potential yet.

But that's my two cents. Voted for Chechen Rebels.

EDIT: Also, the paladin is still pretty broken.

Comment

I like the look of the UKF weapons especially the Laser tag function.
            The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

I agree with Fuzzy on most of his points here.

On the topic of the Paladin; from where I stand, we need to get our player base familiarized with stationary artillery before we add additional resources in this area. Garthra is doing an excellent job running re-ocurring courses and as soon as we get a group of either veterans or regulars/irregulars up to speed with the dynamics of it all, I think we could then introduce more platforms.

I think we need to increase our basics before we start fleshing out the weapon selection. I will never vote against additional units or factions, however, so my vote is for the Rebel Alliance. I mean the Chechen's.

I also second the assertion for Baghdad, though I have not done enough testing to see if it is compatible/plays-nice with our mod-set.

-D

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                I also second the assertion for Baghdad, though I have not done enough testing to see if it is compatible/plays-nice with our mod-set.
                -D
                As far as I understand when it comes to islands or maps they should be compatible with most addons because of the BIS configs for worlds, so they in theory should not provide conflict.

I want to say that I like the Idea of the Baghdad map as that would open up a whole world of missions for assault reconstruction and those sorts of things. I would also like the paladin because of some of its features aswell as how we can operate a fire battery with 6 men instead of 8 or 12 operating three guns. I don't see a need for adding more weapons because of the huge amount we already have an barely use and if its only to use the Simunitions function I can work on a smaller addon that works will all the guns in the game. Those rebels are nice but we have three factions of rebels if anything we should add the Lingor units to get red of all the errors in the game we have placing units.

Comment

Originally posted by OPS View Post
                  I want to say that I like the Idea of the Baghdad map as that would open up a whole world of missions for assault reconstruction and those sorts of things.
                  My thoughts exactly.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

all 3 of the mods looks great. It will add something different to the game.

I would also like to say Baghdad map seems like a great idea and hopefully we can have some great missions made up by members of TG.

Looking forward to see what happens on this thread
                    sigpic

Comment

vote for the chechen rebels & the UFK weapons pack.

Comment

I am in favor of everything here, although I do have reservations about the paladin which I will explore here.

In response to Fuzzywig and Dimi, I appreciate you looking out for my efforts, and this is an issue I considered long and hard. On one level I agree; the Paladin is doing much the same thing as the M119. In that sense it is a new toy. Here is a run down on the Paladin and how it compares to the current M119 based on initial testing. (This is not in depth.)

1.The Paladin Arty System Evaluated:
                        a. Positives:
                        i. Smaller crew (2 per gun is effective, 3 is almost redundant.)
                        ii. Potential for mobile platform enables easy engagement of targets in any direction with minimal re aiming time. (Ideal for 360 defense missions.)
                        iii. Greater accuracy (5 by 5 grid possible)
                        iv. Significantly quicker time from FO call to shells hit (aiming time).
                        v. Requires lower skill to maintain steady rate of fire.
                        vi. Wider variety of shells, including anti-armor guided rounds.
                        vii. Computerized interfaces reduce error potential and skill required.
                        viii. Each illumination round last for 1 minute 55 seconds!!! (30 seconds for m119)
                        ix. Faster initial setup time of the gun.
                        1. No need to calculate gun location or direction.
                        x. Each gun includes its own targeting computer, enabling completely independent fire missions or simultanious fire.

b. Negatives:
                        i. Skill level required is much reduced. Loader/Gunner role requires less skill.
                        ii. Early test revealed some potential inaccuracy when aiming by 8 digit, but this could be a fluke.
                        iii. No smoke round available
                        iv. Maximum rate of fire much is lower (12 seconds loading period).
                        v. Limited ammo in the vehicle. (20 DCIPM, 10 HE) (Can be added to via loading from boxes.)

2.Applications/How this will help or hurt TG:
                        a. Positives
                        i Arty on target faster! (big help for commanders and troops)ii.
                        ii. Smaller Crew = need fewer players.
                        iii. Easier walking fire. (rapid re-aiming of gun)

b. Negatives:
                        i. Decreases skill level required. (Fuzzy touches on this.)
                        ii. The positives listed above may make arty much more powerful.

My view:
                        The way I think about it, it is not an either or situation. (Either we use m119 or paladin.) It is up to the map maker to decide what arty they want. Say in a difficult defense mission, where enemy is immediate, fast moving and overwhelming, the Paladin may be what is needed. Or in missions where a low player count is involved (co 8, 10, 12 etc). The M119 does outperform this new Paladin in two major respects: 1.) Faster rate of fire, and 2.) smoke rounds, and in some cases you want those features. (Assaulting a position you want a rapid fire bombardment, and you may want smoke to cover your infantry advance.)

But I do see and agree with his point that there is the potential, if restraint is not shown, for the paladin to eclipse the M119. This kept me up at night given the effort I have put into the M119.

The reason I support this, despite my misgivings, is 1.) that I trust mission makers to use it in a limited way and not throw it into missions where it will be off scale. And 2.) because I view arty as something to be used in support of the ground troops, not for its own sake. The paladin allows arty to be useful to the ground troops in situations where it would not otherwise be viable. Such as defense missions where the 2-3 minute time frame from arty call to impact of M119 is too long, or maps too large for the m119 like CLAFGAN where the max range of the m119 is insufficent, and the mobility of the paladin is needed.

In my view, I will always love the ACE M119 far more than the Paladin, and relish the skill/time it requires. It is my baby, it and the 81mm and 60mm mortar. I would be totally fine if we just kept things as they are. I have, afterall, put a lot of effort into training people on what we have.

But I am trying to think of what is fun for the majority of players. I think that means faster arty on target.

But, that's why we have a poll.

If I am wrong, and the players do not want the Paladin, I would be overjoyed to keep doing M119 24/7. And if I am right and it is included, I view the paladin as something like an Attack Chopper, to be used in specific missions in specific ways because of its strengths. And I will be happy to learn it in depth and teach it as well.
                        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

How does the paladin system compare to the ACE system of artillery for the mortars and m119 ?

I was just wondering as we have the more modern system already built into arma2 with the M270 MLRS and stryker MC.

The thing is the M270 MLRS doesn't use the ace system ..... its just click and fire.. (last time I tested anyway).

Is the paladin more in line with the ace m119 or is it similar to the arma2 MLRS ?
                          The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                            Is the paladin more in line with the ace m119 or is it similar to the arma2 MLRS ?
                            It's sort of a "right in-between" with a GUI you can plug your numbers in, set fuze times, round type, etc, and firing is just a click of the huge "FIRE!" button. So it is very "point and shooty" but also requires a modicum of pre-planning and coordination. There is a tutorial video you can look at that covers, briefly, what the paladin does and how it does it.

Comment

The paladin actually requires a two man team and there is some work involved in setting up the gun & for the FCO to program the shots. In my opinion using a combination of these assets would strike a nice balance of a timely mission backed up by the precision of the m119. It's a little more invloved than point & shoot and could be the start of using fire missions in the servers to greater effect without draining more than 8 players away to run 3 guns. I love the m119s but I can see the benefit to game play of having a faster option.
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer
                              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                              189th Infantry Brigade Member
                              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X