Join/Command Group Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join/Command Group Mod

This is a cool mod that I think would help Bravo since there as been many times when I would like to take over command or join some ones group in middle of a mission, but can not due to not being at base or mission does hot have join group ability. Also Shac is trusted name so we know its a solid coded mod that wont add any problems.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17515

Re: Join/Command Group Mod

this is a very good idea!

Comment

While I understand the appeal of having people in the Hud helps with keeping organization, I've never really liked the idea of being able to make custom groups. In seeder missions it makes sense, but in actual missions, it only really helps in no-jip/respawn missions. I don't understand the need to have the "Group Leader" position that the game defines other than to assign colors for the teams. The command role is really just an arbitrary role that designates "I am leading the mission". This can be done from ANY slot in ANY mission; however, the mission maker normally creates a special commander slot that has special equipment so he/she can do their job. Leadership roles are also arbitrary, as in, anyone can lead from any slot. You don't need to be in their group to be able to lead people. Yeah it helps with formations, keeping track of people, yada-yada, but people really need to learn that there isn't always going to be a glowing beacon that tells people "I am here".

@Beer's "Join a group/take over a mission" argument.

Wouldn't you already being joining a group mid-mission (if you were JIP)?

If you needed to take command of a mission mid-mission, what happened that required that? If it was a no-respawn/jip mission and the CO was killed, that his/her 2IC should take over and there wouldn't really be the need be in a special group that said "I am part of an HQ element".
      There should be no cases where the CO leaves mid-mission, but because this is the real world it happens, I know. If it does happen, yet again, you don't need to be part of some arbitrary group that says "I'm leading". Just state you are taking command, and walla! you're in command.

This is just my argument against it. I just find that this addon does not affect gameplay enough to really justify its addition. I find that the problem of groups having to be mish-mashed together is primarily a problem of seeder missions, but that is just their nature. Normal missions should be played using the squad/group structure that is given. If such structure causes problems, send the mission maker a PM about why it should be changed, what caused the issues, etc.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I like this mod.
        And I think it is a lot better than names hovering over players when you look at them.

The system makes up for the fact that its a game and you cant recognise one player from another past 20m.

Being able to change groups on the fly would be handy in any mission.
        When players leave for what ever reason and you have 2 players in 2 different teams its nice to be able to create 1 fire team from the two teams and carry on with the mission without having them reslot and break immersion etc.

I know its not a perfect system where realism is concerned but its one of the best solutions to the problem of ingame player recognition over small distances that doesn't involve a magic floating name :)
        The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

This reminds me of Domination 2's Status menu to leave and join groups. I get what Zephyr is trying to say but this would be a nice convience in seeder missions. Basically BL1P sums it up for me.
          Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

Sure, there are ways to manage without this, as we already do...

But if there is no real downside to it, then I don't see any issue with the addition of a useful tool, no matter the scale of it's usefulness.
            It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
            - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

This is borked on respawns from what I've heard. Plus it adds a variable to the mix where again it won't be required that each player has the file to play. This means that different clients are running different configurations. This is something we want to avoid as it causes all host of problems with server stability. The current work around to run this would be to not include the necessary pbo on the server side. This will ensure that missions made without this ability for players to change groups on the fly will still be played as intended. Mission makers could then enable this function using code added to their missions. The problem is that each client will still be expecting the server to have the pbo and won't be getting the replies it expects from the server. This can add to lag issues and so forth.

So there is another opinion I'd like to offer. That is I believe that any tool such as this should be in the hands of your highest ranking player in the mission. The only way to ensure that is for us to have our own mod made to do a similar function but tie it to the in game admin. This can be a voted admin. In this way, the admin/voted admin could be asked by the CO or mission leader to reassign players to groups.

So to recap:
              • Repawns may cause issues. But has anyone tested?
              • Adding variation to the mods we are running causes issues. We are looking to increase player counts & don't want to introduce additional barriers to this.
              • A custom tool can be created to do this for us the way that works with our needs.
              Last edited by Unkl; 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                This is borked on respawns from what I've heard.
                There are large communities that use respawn + this, and I've yet to hear anything from them about issues with respawning. If there was an issue, someone would have to post it in our tracker for us to resolve it.

Plus it adds a variable to the mix where again it won't be required that each player has the file to play. This means that different clients are running different configurations. This is something we want to avoid as it causes all host of problems with server stability.
                Not true for this. If someone has this and someone else doesn't, the person without it will simply not have the ability to use it. Those who have it can use it, those that don't, can't.

The current work around to run this would be to not include the necessary pbo on the server side. This will ensure that missions made without this ability for players to change groups on the fly will still be played as intended. Mission makers could then enable this function using code added to their missions.
                I wouldn't really call this a "work around" since it's an actual feature of the mod, intended for communities that are squeamish about having it be present everywhere.

The problem is that each client will still be expecting the server to have the pbo and won't be getting the replies it expects from the server. This can add to lag issues and so forth.
                This is not true for this mod.

So there is another opinion I'd like to offer. That is I believe that any tool such as this should be in the hands of your highest ranking player in the mission. The only way to ensure that is for us to have our own mod made to do a similar function but tie it to the in game admin. This can be a voted admin. In this way, the admin/voted admin could be asked by the CO or mission leader to reassign players to groups.
                I'm not sure if this is just NIH syndrome, or if you're misunderstanding the intent of the mod and thinking that you need an entirely different solution altogether. It seems like a little of column A and B, since the solution you propose is odd in the context of what this mod actually does. Having to stop and interrupt a game to have an admin change people's groups around is tedious and game-disrupting - using st_interact is neither of those things. We had the former at an admin level in ShackTac years ago, used exactly the way you describe. Never released it. The current version, aka st_interact, is simply a better solution. It's quick and easy to use, you can enable/disable it on a per-mission basis if needed, and it doesn't suck up admin time when used.

Repawns may cause issues. But has anyone tested?
                Please test this and get back to me as to whether it's a real or imagined issue.

Adding variation to the mods we are running causes issues. We are looking to increase player counts & don't want to introduce additional barriers to this.
                Having this in the server's modset is a trivial change, I'm not sure why this is made out to be such a problem? As noted, it can be opt-in on a mission-by-mission basis. It is the easiest thing in the world to do this if you have your own TG modset.

[*]A custom tool can be created to do this for us the way that works with our needs.
                I think this is a mistake for the reasons listed previously. We've been there, we've done that, this works better, hence us using it and not something else.

Comment

If it is indeed a widely used and trusted mod, and so far I see no reason to believe otherwise, then I support this addition.

As a community with a broad timezone group, we seem to always have people joining in and others ducking out. We already have so many things that can potentially bog down gameplay, the ability to quickly split or merge groups would be a tremendous asset.

Comment

+1 on testing the addition and hopes for inclusion.
                    sigpic
                    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

if you guys are using shacktac and this another extension for shactac.
                      why not using it since they have more progress, experience with it already and it is meant to be like that.

its in every community like that: can we do this? A says: No, reasons are that we dont know and we heard; B says "No, its not like we do it, this will change everything, but we can do this".
                      thats a big disadvantage, especially in mainly democratic communities.

speaking for myself: I dont like this shick, shack and tac, I can play without, it trains my brain and I can concentrate on more important things.

if one has suggestions that is not out of scope ( this is not indeed ), it should be tested, benchmarked and watched for improving or worsing gameplay - without possible, heardfacts, guesswork and imagination
                      that everyone of us has loads of.

it sounds to me like : so we bought that new M9 pistol, it has served us well. should we buy the m9 silencer for it or make our own since it could too loud, is maybe less effective then, we might need different ammo!

if this is a vote:

+ 1
                      what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

This community has run for years with a game officer and admins and have many others with much experience to help them make these decisions. If they feel that this will add to our gaming experience after testing then it will happen.

Comment

I did not question that and the subject goes all around the testing, not the approval.
                          what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X