Heartbroken....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbroken....

I've tried and tried and fought and cursed, but no matter what I do I don't think I can play. I tried this evening, with 19 other people, and it was like watching a flip book movie. My heart is broken, but until I find another solution to the frame rate problem I'm afraid I'll be absent for a little longer.

Frowney. Face.

Re: Heartbroken....

What did SOMEBODY take out of your rig??? You used to be able to play fine.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Several of us have low FPS 2night too, sometimes its happens when alot of players or enemies or objects on map. So we change mission or ask admins reboot server if its rly hard. Keep trying, most time its fine and fun :)

Comment

What Chichco said. Even the OCD game-tweaker like myself has to do a double take and remember the server FORCES the framerate is has onto clients. The scripts on the server, besides the player and enemy count, affect its performance. Also if still have framerate issues single-player side, harrass me on teamspeak, or PM me. Up until two months ago, I spent more time tweaking arma than actually playing it.
        Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

You joined during Abandon Castle. That mission has always had crazy performance issues serverside. I'd try a few more missions to see if it's an isolated incident. Barring that, you should still play with the graveyard shift when there's a quarter of the people on.

Comment

It works alright when there are only a few people on.... but my desktop has taken a dump and SOMEBODY has no idea how what's wrong with it. ((The last idea was that I need a new hard drive, which made me cry, literally)) so I'm presently using a lap top. It works perfectly for GW2 and Minecraft, but ArmA is hit or miss depending on how many people are on the server. I'll keep trying, but I really think it might be a lost cause....

Comment

Try ... using task manager and setting the Arma2 to priority high also closing any none essential apps.

In other words when arma2 is running alt tab and do alt+tab+del for task manager and then right click on the arma2 exec in the PROCESSES tab and set priority to high.
              This needs to be done each time ya start Arma2.

Or if ya running Six_updater to launch the game....

In the tab to the left of the Home tab there is a drop down option called OPTIONS.
              In there under start up options set the priority to high and save the settings.
              I believe Six will always launch in high priority from then on.

If that doesn't help....

You can try to offload some of the cpu power by setting some of the Video options to below High.
              The one exception I know of is shadows.... shadows as far as I know uses CPU below High setting whereas the other settings Use CPU above high.

Hope this helps in someway...

BL1P
              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

This may not apply to your case, but it is worth mentioning along with the other helpful tips above.

BLOW THE DUST OUT OF YOUR PC

Don't feather dust, all willie-nillie -- blow it out. Take it outside and use some variant of high airflow device (canned or compressor) and delicately send air into all the nic and crannies. You will be amazed by the quantity in there -- AND how much better your computer performs when it can breath and stay cool.

Depending on how dirty your are (wink) you will want to repeat this process every few months or so.
                sigpic
                I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

The raising of the priority for arma is a risky move, but doesnt hurt to test. Just DONT EVER go past High, otherwise some serious instability might happen. I say "MIGHT" because I dont know how Win7 handles process scheduling since WinXP and Win2000.

It might be worth a shot and takes one variable out of the problem, but I would check your power scheme on the desktop. Garthra one time had crappy performance issues when he normally was fine on his laptop. First thing came to my mind was his power scheme was set to "Power Saving", thereby throttling down his CPU speed. Mind you, he plays with power coming off the grid, never from battery.

Riyker also has a point. When enough dust blocks airflow to the cpu or some other major component, it can begin to throttle its clock down to save itself from thermal overload.
                  Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

my game is even crashing after a few seconds when playing the latest abandon castle, aswell as snipe.

are you using currently or alternatively a laptop or a desktop?

I assume you are using a desktop, because from most laptops you cannot expect a good performance.

besides that:

- buy a cheap pci soundcard ( 10 - 20 Euro ) and turn the onboard sound off
                    - try using arma and teamspeak on different threads, so they are bound to a certain thread only and dont interfear
                    - do the arma benchmark and try every setting systematically from down to up ( like 50 times the benchmark I ) until you hit performance and quality like you want it.
                    - try the ingame flush
                    - start more often the game new, preferably when a new mission starts
                    - restart your pc when it becomes hard strangely ( have it quite rare but when I am down to 5 FPS, Ill do it and everythigns fine again )

- buy an SSD or other hard disk ( if you can hit a benchmark on your current, maybe this is really the tight end )
                    - shut down antivirus to a minimum
                    what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

***buy an SSD or other hard disk***

Single best upgrade for ARMA. And prices have come way down. I now have an SSD dedicated for my ARMA stuff. This would help immensely.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

SSD => When you want to install your operating system AND ArmaII on the same SSD
                        take this one

If you want to just run ArmaII at an SSD, this one is enough, but you'll have 15 - 20% less performance compared to use Arma on same disk then your OS.

Why to I prefer thoose ones?
                        We tested 3 different models with 64 and 128 GB of Western Digital, Samsung and SanDisk. the called devices of samsung endured enourmous stress-tests and stood nearly stable where WD and SanDisk droped their read/write-performance about 10% - 25%

just a suggestion
                        Last edited by Pax'Jarome Malues; 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM. Reason: sorry, missed the numbers of percent

Comment

Yeah I've had an SSD for two months. It is definitely a good upgrade for arma, but never forget cpu and video! Upgrading might be a stretch though. You cant clone data right away from a regular HDD. Fresh install, and then doing some neccessary tweaks must be done.
                          Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

Did you ever end up getting this fixed? If you go on teamspeak during the evening (EST) and I'm on I would be glad to help you. I have faced almost every existing computer issue building and working on computers. At least we can determine for sure whether it is the server or you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X