Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A discussion on the Supporting Membership role.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] A discussion on the Supporting Membership role.

This is a message from my own opinion and does not reflect the direction or voice of administration. In short, this is put forth by me alone.

Tactical Gamer exists because of donations from the players who attend our servers and contribute support in the form of monetary donation. These funds are used solely to support our servers both technologically and access-wise. Electing to assume the supporting membership role comes with more than a few benefits. Chief among them, in this gamer's opinion, is the satisfaction that comes with knowing your money went somewhere that directly affects something you are a part of.

Before I continue, I want to recognize and accept the fact that not everyone has money just sitting around to donate. There is no superior regard based on supporting membership status and I'll happily discuss that philosophy with anyone who cares to contradict my point of view.

Voluntary donation is an exercise in altruism and there is no reward, save for access to the ARMA Delta server, one's own personal satisfaction, and the gratitude of the community.

I will not pontificate further on the benefits of selfless gestures, but instead will offer two direct benefits for the ARMA pocket of TG.

1. As stated, the gratitude of the community.

2. Access to the Delta server. The more supporting members we have, the more missions I, and our other mission editors, can make for the server. Delta offers some fantastic mods that I'm itching to exploit. Bravo holds immense flexibility and prospect for mission variety, but Delta offers the same experience with an expanded set of variables.

For those of you who do not have the option, then thank you for playing with us no matter what your situation, but for those who may have a potential contribution lying around, I'd ask you to at least think on the benefits of adding your support to our amazing and worthy community.

Discussion is welcomed.

-Dimitrius

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: A discussion on the Supporting Membership role.

I concur ... adding that there a number of other benfits that members would get that are site related as well (eg. more functional features with your account, site experience, etc.).
    sigpic
    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Kudos on this post. It is rather timely.

Ryiker is also correct there are many other things included in Supporting Memberships. You get email and webspace if requested. There is also and increased signature limit. Access to the In-House Squad system. There is access to the perks to the other games we support here at TG. There is the supporting member area of the forums. This all for the price of a healthy vitamin shake.

Now, what does it pay for?

Servers for games & their bandwidth. Your supporting not only your game but our way of playing accross a broad range of games. Your paying for TeamSpeak and the bandwith used there. Your paying for the forum server & the oodles of bandwith used there. As Wicks said to me once, Terrabytes of bandwith! This stuff gets very expensive.

We are currently running a lot of content & servers in an investment to grow and we believe we have you all as a solid player base to do so. Supporting memberships ensure that we can continue to maintain this level of content and that we will grow. We are a community of people first and if it weren't for the folks helping pay the bills this wouldn't be possible.

A note on Delta: This server was added to add content as an incentive for Supporting Memberships. It does not take any content away from other servers but will strive to provide a bonus to SMs. It is truly an icing on a much bigger cake.

On a personal note I very much appreciate this community and am happy to throw my meager 8 bucks a month in the pot. The experiences I get from gaming with you all is more than worth that. Thank you for those that can also pitch in.
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Since we're discussing SMs...

Here's the thing about donations to an organisation, especially one such as this. There is no accountability for funds. Where does it go?

If I had the extra money per month, I would consider putting the 90/yr toward TG. But no one has any clue where it all goes. How much money is being spent on servers? How much does the website cost? TS? With all the ads on the server, how much revenue is coming in? How much extra do we have left over at the end of every month and year? What are our expenses overall?

When I took donations from my community, I had a 100% transparent policy on donations, where a thread in the announcement forum would show the:
        1.) Donations and who they were from with date, time, and currency all marked, with appropriate thanks to the donators.
        2.) Other revenue.
        3.) Total expenses (giveaways, upgrades, site hosting, etc.).
        4.) Server population and trends over time (Is our population, say, actually using 100 slots consistently? Or is it more reasonable to downgrade to save money?)

Now, we were a humble community of over 1000 connections a day (41 per hour) and 250 unique players every night for a healthy amount of time, so I understand we aren't as... branched-out as TG is... but I take some issue with supporting what might be just padding pockets. Is there any way to look at this kind of thing? Is it posted anywhere? I'd be interested in looking so when I -do- have the money, I can consider throwing my Benjamin into the mix.

That's my two cents anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LordFuzzywig View Post
          Since we're discussing SMs...

Here's the thing about donations to an organisation, especially one such as this. There is no accountability for funds. Where does it go?

If I had the extra money per month, I would consider putting the 90/yr toward TG. But no one has any clue where it all goes. How much money is being spent on servers? How much does the website cost? TS? With all the ads on the server, how much revenue is coming in? How much extra do we have left over at the end of every month and year? What are our expenses overall?

When I took donations from my community, I had a 100% transparent policy on donations, where a thread in the announcement forum would show the:
          1.) Donations and who they were from with date, time, and currency all marked, with appropriate thanks to the donators.
          2.) Other revenue.
          3.) Total expenses (giveaways, upgrades, site hosting, etc.).
          4.) Server population and trends over time (Is our population, say, actually using 100 slots consistently? Or is it more reasonable to downgrade to save money?)

Now, we were a humble community of over 1000 connections a day (41 per hour) and 250 unique players every night for a healthy amount of time, so I understand we aren't as... branched-out as TG is... but I take some issue with supporting what might be just padding pockets. Is there any way to look at this kind of thing? Is it posted anywhere? I'd be interested in looking so when I -do- have the money, I can consider throwing my Benjamin into the mix.

That's my two cents anyway.
          My few cents:

1) Tactical Gamer does not accept "donations", we have "subscriptions". As a supporting member you are SUBSCRIBING to the services offered by Tactical Gamer. The very first thing you need to do is remove your assumption that TG operates like a clan site. It does not.

2) Tactical Gamer is wholly owned by Tactical Industries, LLC. Effective two years ago, any on-line entity that uses electronic payment systems and processes more than 600 unique transactions in any calendar year is subject to automated IRS reporting. This means that all revenue generated by Tactical Gamer is subject to US taxes. How this affects Tactical Industries varies on a year-to-year basis depending on expenses, growth, or financial shortfalls.

3) I do not run Tactical Gamer as a democracy. We are structured, both financially and operationally, like a company. TG is not managed like 4 guys out for pizza splitting up the check.

4) No one is forced to become a supporting member and subscribe to Tactical Gamer's services, those who do get benefits as they would with any product or service they purchased. There is no ownership share granted as part of the supporting member system.

5) Tactical Gamer is designed to grow and adapt to a rather large player base over time as games come and go. When games are "oversubscribed" beyond their costs, that provides extra resources for us to launch NEW games for people to play. A few years ago, Natural Selection was a highly oversubscribed game, but those funds allowed to support OTHER games like BF2142 and ArmA. Over time, those titles became self sufficient as the activity in NS waned. Jump forward to today, and NS2 is getting the benefit of revenue from OTHER titles helping to support it. This structure is a big part of the reason why it's made clear that we do NOT sell reserved slots, you either support the COMMUNITY or you don't. There's no picking and choosing what you want to help with and what you don't.

6) If you're that worried about where the funds go and are that fearful that somewhere along the line it's possible someone could benefit. Then don't subscribe. Just be sure to thank every other SM you see that helps support TG and keept it operational without all the paranoia that surrounds the value of a Big Mac meal once a month......
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

How do I subscribe?

....never mind I found the link
            sigpic

Canadjun, eh?

Comment

Thank you Biggs!

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Yes thanks, Biggs, and thanks for your Post Dimitrius, it looks like some people did read and understand what you were saying, thanks again to the both of you and all SM's.

Comment

I can play here for free and that is a fact. I know there are costs involved in running the servers on which we play and huge amounts of personal time involved in keeping our community running as well as it does. I choose to help defray those costs by a yearly subscription and my only expectation is to continue having the mature gaming community that I have enjoyed since 2009. I haven't been playing as much lately which is on me BUT I know TG will be there for me when I choose to, with the kind of gaming I want. There never has been nor will there ever be any arm twisting or pressure to subscribe but every once in awhile one of us will jump up to remind us while gaming here is free, there is cost to it.

Comment

Thanks, Biggs!
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Welcome Biggs and thanks!

Comment

My tuppence worth :)

I have Subscribed with a set amount in my paypal when that runs out I will either continue or not.

I am treating it as a Donation because I enjoy playing here and wanted to help.
                        But ...
                        I cannot afford to pay a subscription continuously.
                        The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Bl1p nobody will say a thing when you don't, just thanks for supporting when you can.

Comment

These threads pop up periodically and are useful in reminding everyone of the importance in supporting the community. TG has many different titles, various mod support, forums, teamspeak and a nice group of like minded international players. My experience has been there is more pain than gain running one of these sites. Somebody profiting or not on what I pay annually I care less aboutÖIíve been subscribing for the past couple years and plan to continue. Some things in life are worth paying a little for even when you donít have too.

Comment

Hey Paul, would it be worth looking into lowering the entry-level fee and seeing if a larger buy-in can be achieved? Many of us old school folks supported fiancially for years in the past as you know ... and because of the servers I donate to the =TE= guys I can't afford to do the same here ATM; as much as I appreciate TG and would really like to.

That said, if we had $4.95 price point, it seems that TI could find that magical curve and net higher gross for those cash flow ebs and flows. Just a thought, as I'm sure you've considered it -- just thinking out loud about the economics of a new monthly price -- since I'm confident there are many who don't that actually do want to at a lower entry bar.

Best,
                              Jeff
                              sigpic
                              I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X