Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPS's Slightly Demented Combat and Moral Leadership Lessons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] OPS's Slightly Demented Combat and Moral Leadership Lessons.

Let us begin with a series of little yet important definitions

Military Leadership- The art of influencing others in such a way as to obtain their willing obedience, respect, confidence, and loyal cooperation in order to accomplish a mission.
    Discipline- The individual or group attitude which insures prompt obedience to orders and the initiation of appropriate actions in absence of orders.
    Esprit De Corps- Loyalty to, pride in and enthusiasm for a unit as shown by its members.
    Tact- The ability to deal with others without causing offense.

These are very important to remember from every level of leadership weather that is the element leader or the Group Commander.

When commanding you will be under various strains and pressures. Keeping your cool not micromanaging those beneath you and acting with combat reflex is imperative. A leader who is in charge has 1st the duty to his men 2nd a duty to his mission and 3rd a moral compass this ensures that no matter the mission he or she will never violate the rights of a non combatant or of prisoners going further never to force troops under his or her command to violate those same moral guides.

Being an officer is a privilege that is earned with dedication and effort, never will a superior reprimand or assert their rank for no warranted reason they will all ways ensure that any corrects are made with the person and that they do not embarrass them.

Scenario:

No officer should ever issue an order that will violate the rights of the combatants involved or of the noncombatants in the vicinity. i.e A patrol is sweeping the town a civilian is found and he is searched restrained and left in a compromising position in the middle of a fire fight he is fatally wounded and dies as a result of the actions of the patrol.

How would you as an officer mitigate the risks toward the noncombatant and ensure his safety and that of your men.
    Last edited by OPS; 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM.

Re: OPS's Slightly Demented Combat and Moral Leadership Lessons.

Excellent Post OPS. You put forth good points about priority, integrity, and tact.

I will respond at length when I get home from work tonight.

+1

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Four Indicators of Unit Effectiveness
      Morale- A sense of common purpose with respect to a group
      Discipline- training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
      Proficiency- advancement in knowledge or skill

Today's post will address some more issues ethical as well as practical.

The first thing that we will review is how a unit can be combat effective if the leader is no longer there. I have seen far to many times a commander go down and no one acts with the slightest sense of combat knowledge or that when taking contact a squad leader will ask for approval to move when his men are in danger and should be moved while returning fire.

1- When a you assume a leadership role you should know the plan two phases above you and two below.

2- Act with combat effective knowledge and tactics, do not wait to maintain action, and alertness so that you do not jeopardize the team.

3- When you are expected to know what you are doing do so if you are unsure of any aspect of what the plan is ask.

4- Question your commander and fight for what you believe is right at the appropriate time and when he makes the decision it is final and he assumes authority and full responsibility for what occurs there after. "I was just following orders."

5- When you are acting on your intelligence or command is no longer answering on the net the next leader will take charge if you make no contact with an superior consider your self the superior and act as such until contact can be made again.

6-Proceed with the missions goals but asses the plan that you are executing and if you deem it dangerous to your men raise it to the proper channels or protest on ground of ethics. * When Protesting so the same as reprimanding.*

7- Never assume that when the command element is done you do not know what to do. You have the mission act as such use your best judgement to proceed.

8- Ensure you take care of the men first last and all ways then tend to what you need to do.

9- The mission is a plan plans change operations orders are not concrete. When you move in assume nothing you were told is accurate and make sure to gather and asses your own intelligence.

10- Murphy s law of combat tactics No plan survives the first contact intact Adapt improvise and overcome

Scenario

"Your are on route patrol between two bases your convoy is ambushed and the first person to get hit is the commander the next subordinate assumes command and issues orders to the effect of suppressive fire in to the contact area the infantry begin to suppress the soldiers on the M-2s do nothing to assist the current efforts. after being told again to suppress the begin to fire 1 to 2 shots ever minute with no volume to keep the enemy down while a sniper has picked off half of the force. "

As that leader what do you do next?

Comment

Are these questions rhetorical, or are you looking for replies?

Thank you.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Wow this is a hard one... I would let 50& of my M2 gunner disembark, let them lay a smoke wall towards the most hard incoming fire direction, try to locate the sniper while we put the wounded in the cars and break of in free formation towards the last big cover I can remember. Its a deciosion, maybe the wrong one, but at least its a decision.

Comment

OPS's Slightly Demented Combat and Moral Leadership Lessons.

They are more a test of your knowledge. Based on what ops wrote previously. I think, could be wrong.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I am not full aware wether you want a reply to this or just make us thinking.

besides I am saying that this is very healthy, what you are describing.

Scenario one:

I guess the duty of an officer would be to, as it can be done without risking men or mission failure, to get that non-combatant into safety until the storm is over.
              to leave him on his own, I would do, if the obvious contact to my group would make him a traitor to possible terrorist groups within the population after the storm is over.

Scenario two:

I assume that it is an ambush done by professionals by equal or more than two directions.

if that is correct there wont be any push out possibility to use speed as the advantage.
              the group is in a fixed position with sighting superiourity and the firefight has been won by the enemy already.

if the position of the sniper is known you can try to man the HMGs simultanously with covering fire by any other men.

if the position of the sniper is unknown, considering the enemy build flanking security on niveau #1, they did not think about securing the direct front towards the kill zone.
              and considering that everything that is not small arms fire would already been used, if it is there ...
              you can try to attack the enemy to one or two known position using the vehicles as cover, since they protect from expected small arms fire.
              Using smoke and speed as the keys to get out of the kill zone.

and that is what the enemy would not expect least, normally.

@ pax
              sometimes it is not better to make wrong decision than none, but here it fits.

edit:

now I see that the issue is not the enemy, but the friendly units.
              considering this, I could lead as example to order them to disembark, and take over myself, with educational background.
              Or let other men take over the guns, who know what to do.

I am seeing myself in that sitation getting very angry, because it is essential.
              Last edited by kOepi123; 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM.
              what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

At Dimi you can choose weather or not to answer there so right or wrong one. At Low exactly the point is to well challenging you to think about the scenario and apply what you can gleam or learn to what you do.

Comment

I would get my commissar to execute the 2 gunners for cowardice, next I would lead the charge towards the enemy sniper. On foot. No Smoke. Glory to the first man to die.

Comment

@ axis

stuck on WW 1 procedures?
                    ;) lol
                    what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

Or Dawn of War.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Your are on route patrol between two bases your convoy is ambushed and the first person to get hit is the commander the next subordinate assumes command and issues orders to the effect of suppressive fire in to the contact area the infantry begin to suppress the soldiers on the M-2s do nothing to assist the current efforts

Is this in code ?
                        The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                          Your are on route patrol between two bases your convoy is ambushed and the first person to get hit is the commander the next subordinate assumes command and issues orders to the effect of suppressive fire in to the contact area the infantry begin to suppress the soldiers on the M-2s do nothing to assist the current efforts

Is this in code ?
                          How so ?

Comment

Hmm thas a good one
                            • Dismount the gunners one at time to not dimish BOF
                            • After having new gunners give them the order to provide a BOF
                            • Divide the rest of the forces that are left into 2 squads there gonna do the following maneuver one pushes through the left flank and the other by the right
                            • While having the 2 m2 gunners give a BOF, succesive bounding with the 2 squads with and ABF on the suspected enemy position

Since the enemy is overwhelmed with the fire and maneuver Im confident that the enemy will be neutralized

Comment

Originally posted by OPS View Post
                              How so ?
                              Never mind its no biggie :)
                              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X