Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Note from the Admin Team Regard Hacking (aka How to Catch a Hacker)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] A Note from the Admin Team Regard Hacking (aka How to Catch a Hacker)

We had an incident a few days ago on Bravo which we are fairly sure was caused by a hacker. (People dying without gunshots, everyone on the server being wounded at once, etc.) People immediate reacted by essentially saying in a loud voice to anyone who would listen “Hey we got a hacker here!” This response, while understandable, is not ideal. It gives the hacker a moment or two to make up excuses, disable the hack, or at least cast the blame elsewhere.

Our objective is catch the hacker so we can prevent him from returning. Our second objective is to avoid banning an innocent (if unlucky) player. To accomplish both, it is more useful to simply notify an admin when you suspect a hack is taking place. If possible do not take action that would alert the suspected hacker that you are on to him. If everyone reacts to a possible hacker with a little bit more tact, we can ensure the right person is quickly banned and prevent future incidents.

Thanks!
    |TG| Garthra <ArmA Admin>
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: A Note from the Admin Team Regard Hacking (aka How to Catch a Hacker)

So next time, I won't broadcast over side channel, "Garthra, I think we're being hacked, I just died for no reason."

Got it.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

a technical question, how does an admin find out that he is really hacking not just an inoccent person?
      what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

Koepi, you're asking to see how the sausage is made :)

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by kOepi123 View Post
          a technical question, how does an admin find out that he is really hacking not just an inoccent person?
          With admin tools and a little bit of Law & Order: TG unit

"In the TG justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the admins, who investigate crime; and the GOs, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories."

Comment

damn you beat me to the punch

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X