Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which microphone to buy

Hi,

my 3rd headset this year just broke 20mins ago. I have to order a new one, so when I have to purchase a new one, I would like to know which headsets you guys have and which experience you made with thoose.
    I had this one as my first and it died after 4 years of exelent service.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fat...6736980&sr=8-1

Greetings
    Pax
    Last edited by Pax'Jarome Malues; 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM.

Re: Which microphone to buy

If it's just the microphone that's having problems, a clip on microphone will do the job on the cheap. This guy is a good example:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-MIC1...6743178&sr=1-5

For a headset/mic combo I've been using the Steelseries Siberia for a number of years. My original headset finally died on me this year and I replaced it with the v2, which so far has done quite well when paired with an HT Omega soundcard. Gunshots have a clear direction and explosions are sufficiently bassy.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Si...ies+siberia+v2

Comment

If your looking for sound quality and a good microphone, then I would like to suggest the Logitech G35's. It is 7.1 surround sound. Noise cancellation ear muffs. Crystal Clear quality microphone. Comfortable, good looking design. And it even comes with a voice changer if you get bored =). Its about $100. I dont know how to convert that to .
      Puerto Taught Me How To Play, You've Been Warned!

Comment

Check these out. Ugly looking, but they are the best headphone on the market hands down. Read reviews about them. They are all good. You will need a clip on mic with them as they are not a gaming headset .
        Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones
        http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMS0XU/..._am_us?ie=UTF8
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

These are what I have been using for the last year;

I have a Turtle Beach headset that I hate, its heavy,uncomfortable and unbearable after a couple of hours of wear. These Incase are the most comfortable, best sounding headset I have ever owned.

Comment

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1058&subcat=

Plantronics GameCom 780 7.1 Surround Sound USB Gaming Headset

Cheap but good
            The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone!

Comment

My setup consists of Audio Technica AD700s headphones and the Logitech USB Desktop Microphone. I've been on Audio Technica AD700's for almost a year and I will NEVER go back to headsets.

The microphone has a ton of gain. You might have to search on ebay or the internet. I was lucky enough to buy the microphone for six dollars! I have only heard decent-to-good ratings on that clip-on Zalman microphone. One downside is if it's on your being, you movements in the chair will be picked up. Just FYI the Logitech USB microphone I have is the slightly older model with the silver square base.

I didn't notice until I learned about some terms and definitions of headphones that I have been using open-end headphones for years. No wonder I've been having a good time gaming with headphones. Open-ends are THE ONES to use for gaming as you don't get that "condensed" feeling of sound, a slight reverb. The less reverb you get in your headphones, the easier it will be for you to pinpoint a sound. AD700's have the biggest soundstage in the market for audiophile headphones. Because they're open-ended, also a lot more than other headphones, they will lack the feeling of bass. Personally this bothers me as people want to feel bass rather than hear it. These are good for rock and metal.

We're not talking "snake oil" audiophile stuff here. Entry-level audiophile stuff is great. Can be cheaper than some of the gaming headsets that go $150 USD and up.

Don't waste you time with "gaming" headphones unless they can actually sound good. I was going to get Logitech G35's but I decided after enough persuasion from fellow ventrilo dwellers to look for "entry-level audiophile headphones". I came from a crappy Medusa 5.1 headset when I fell for the 5.1 multi-speaker setup. At least that Medusa headset I had was slightly open-ended with a pretty good microphone. Do NOT fall for the multi-speaker headset gimmick. The speakers were not even good. Fronts were muddy, rears were tinny, and centers was slightly more balanced than either. The so-called subwoofer speakers never worked at all.

Tested a few Plantronics GameCons before and have been disappointed with most, have NOT tried the ones BL1P used however.

Sennheiser also has a few headphones such has HD518, HD558 and HD598. They're pricey however.

Like I said, if you're gaming primarily and don't care for the obnoxious thumping of bass, open-end headphones are great for gaming.
                Last edited by Madcat; 12-30-2012, 04:20 AM. Reason: Went off on a rant, slight editing!
                Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

I use Sennheiser exclusively now, my favourite headset so far.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Sennhe...ipheral_review

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_...ming_pc_502141

Comment

Yep, I forgot about sennheiser headsets. I'm leaving heavily to the HD360 as its open-ended. Would love to give HD558, HD598, and HD360 a test run.
                    Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

My current microphone is the Samson Go Mic. It's a compact condenser mic, it's great for VoIP and anything else that requires clarity. It features both cardioid and omnidirectional capture patterns.

As for headphones I own both Tritton AXPro's and Sennheiser HD555's. No doubt that the Sennheiser's are superb for music and movies. On the other hand I almost exclusively use the Tritton's for gaming and general use. In terms of headsets I stick with 3.5mm or 6.3mm connections (no USB) and avoid those with lousy ranges.

With any equipment it is always important to test it and especially with headphones as it is a personal experience.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X