Question about Graphics Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Graphics Cards

Is there any Graphics Card that is better than the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 ti that runs around the same price? Nothing above $220. Im getting sick of playing around 25 fps =(. Im not good with technical stuff =D.
    Last edited by iBensonhurst; 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM.
    Puerto Taught Me How To Play, You've Been Warned!

Re: Question about Graphics Cards

Most of the time its the server that causes fps problems, what fps do you get in the editor? You could get a nice 560ti for $190 which will be a considerable increase in performance.
    sigpic

Comment

In editor when im just in the desert looking at no trees or houses. I get maybe 60 to 90 fps. When Im in Fallujuh in editor looking at buildings I get about 40 to 50 fps. And in lingor in editor, in towns I get about 35 to 50.

But even in the server, I see peoples youtube videos that play here, they get 40+ fps.

Comment

That is true however some people that play here have got really high end systems for example Dual GTX580s and top end i7s.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey iBensonhurst, ok to really answer your question we need more information, namely;

- Your current specs, processor & speed, ram, HDD or sad
          - Your current resolution and whether you intend to increase it at any point (and the new resolution)
          - In game settings you are using, is gfx, view distance etc

Post those up and we can probably give you a more informed answer.

Comment

GPU-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 ti
            CPU-AMD FX-6120 3.5ghz
            10 GB Ram
            MOTHERBOARD-Gigabyte 2AC8
            Windows 7 64-bit

1600x900
            Texture Detail-Very High
            Video Memory-Default
            Terrain Detail-Very High
            Object Detail-Very High
            Shadow Detail-Disabled
            HDR Quality-Very High

Post processing effects I put on sometimes on normal or low, and it does't seem to affect my FPS.

Comment

Interesting... I built my brother's machine with the same graphics card, but less RAM and processing power and he has no trouble running arma 50 frames at the least. He has everything on high, not very high that could be your problem. Also, it's a good idea to keep your view distance on like 2500-4000 when on the ground and 5000+ when your flying.
              sigpic

Comment

He gets 50 fps while in BRAVO server? In editor and campain I get 50+fps.

Comment

What fps do you get from :-

Benchmark 01
                  and
                  EO8 : Benchmark

I suggest putting your view distance at 2500 ish for the tests as thats a good average MP VD level.
                  Also running a Cpu and Gpu monitor while testing and seeing what the cpu and gpu levels are while the benchmarks are running.

My results for example are :-

Benchmark 01
                  Average FPS = 35
                  cpu = 40-45%
                  gpu = 70-80%

EO8 : Benchmark
                  Average FPS = 37
                  cpu = 40-45%
                  gpu = 95-100%

(this isnt posted as a boast in anyway its just to show what I am looking at when I run the benchmarks)
                  ----------------------------

From what I understand all the advanced video settings with the exception of shadows, If set to high or greater will be placed on the cpu below that will be placed onto the gpu. or arma2 will at least try its best to reallocate the work load. (I think I got that right way round ?? :) )

Knowing if your cpu or your gpu is or isnt being under or over used when running a benchmark might help gain a few fps by altering some of the video settings.

An example would be if your cpu is maxed out at 100% in one of the benchmarks then you would want to try to offload some of the cpu work onto the gpu via the video settings.

Although as TicTac mentioned before the servers performance plays a direct role on your client side FPS and missions like PO:MSO stress the server and result in Lower FPS for everyone.

25fps In my opinion is good and playable in arma2 unlike other games.

----------------------------

As for what video card to get ?

hard to say as we dont know if its your cpu or if its your gpu.

Myself I prefer ATI but I would see what I can afford then compare the nividia card at the price I can afford against the ATI at a similar price.
                  9 times out of 10 what you can afford and which is better performance will be the ATI card.

Hope all this stuff helps

and remember 25FPS is playable dont fall into the I need 80fps to play this cause thats what I get in COD trap
                  The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

The view distance has a lot to do with fps, I have always run mine between 2500 and 3000. I have the equipment to run the game on very high but don't see the need to do it and 25 frames is very playable in Arma. I have my settings on how the game looks and feels to me, not the frames. If you look in all the forums dealing with this subject you will see frame chasers throwing fists full of money at hardware and never happy with the results with Arma. True optimization with Arma is like chasing the wind or finding the Holy Grail. My OS and Arma run on an SSD, I run my game settings on high, post processing, ATOC and vsync disabled, video mem on default and the video at 1920x1080. I do not have what people would consider a high end gaming rig, I put it together with parts when they were on sale at Newegg but I am happy with the results I get when playing Arma. I get 57 on benchmark 1 and 59 on benchmark 8 but haven't played on Bravo in awhile so I don't know what I get on Patrol Ops. Your hardware doesn't look that bad, you may not be happy with the results you get after spending more money.

Comment

I have 2 GTX 680s, an i7 at 4.4ghz, 2 x ssds in raid 0 and 8gb of corsair Ram.

I still get 25 fps on some maps with everything on max at 1920x1080.
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former ARMA TGU instructor
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob
                      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Since no one has harped on it yet, figured I would jump in and stir things up hehehehehe

You really want to increase ArmA performance? Look into getting an SSD. ArmA pulls from the hard drive more than anything, especially when running about on maps or flying helicopters. Buy one SSD, put ArmA on it, see the increase in performance. Graphics cards are nice, but if your hard drive can not pull the information fast enough, it wont matter. That would be my first suggestion to you. You can find a good one cheap.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Benson looking at your in game settings can you try something for me. Turn terrain down one to high and turn shadows on, putting them on medium and then high respectively. As Bl1p states Arma has a nasty habit of shifting stuff onto an already overloaded CPU. You are basically trying to shift some of the graphical load back to your GPU where it can share the strain.

Also if you don't have any monitoring software you can grab GPU-Z and Core Temp for the GPU and CPU respectively. Both are free and will detail the load on each respective piece of hardware.

Try adjusting each setting in turn after that. You will find some settings need to be set higher, which is counter intuitive, to ensure they switch to GPU rather than CPU.

Let us know how it goes.

Lastly the server FPS is important, I get half the frames I normally get in Patrol Ops because there is an awful lot going on server side which hits server fps and drops my personal UPS as a result. Nothing you can do about that I'm afraid.

Comment

Question about Graphics Cards

Bensonhurst,

Before I chime in, your specs are far over the recommended requirement of the game. I play with something ancient as compared to most here, trust me.

Having said that, a lot of what others have said before me are right on target.

If you are chasing after the "optimal" FPS in ArmA (unlike other titles). You will never get there.

Finding a performance that is above average is something I'd personally shoot for with your hardware.

Try these steps:
                            (All within ArmA video settings)
                            -Try dropping your resolution one notch. Or over your native monitor resolution by one level (3D resolution)
                            -Disable the antialiasing
                            -Disable the anisotropic
                            -Shadows to high or highest
                            -Post-processing to low or lowest
                            -FSAA (try various choices)
                            -VSYNC off
                            -video memory : default
                            -textures: high or very high

ArmA start up parameters.
                            -maxmem=2047 -cpucount=2 -world=empty

Try those and post results for tweaking.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                              And remember 25FPS is playable dont fall into the I need 80fps to play this cause thats what I get in COD trap
                              Twenty five frames is not always a playable level. AFAIK, ArmA doesnt have motion blur which means that at 25 frames it can look choppy as hell. My rig which is quite powerful always seems to hover around 28-35 frames on taki patrol ops (blame that POS frame rate on SLI) and I can see the difference between 29 and 30 frames like night and day.

Running the game at even 30 frames is just fine and dandy if you are standing around at base. But when crap hits the fan and there is ALOT going on; your frame rate drops, everyone knows that. So if you are running 25 frames all the time the second anything beyond bird watching occurs you can drop down as far as 10-15 frames. Without proper motion blurring like in film, 25 frames or lower will not be smooth like in a movie, even before taking CPU/GPU stress into account.

Although slightly off topic what im trying to say is...please do NOT shoot for running at 25 frames or even 30 frames. Always aim higher than what is considered playable because you will need a good 15-30 frames of "extra" frames so that when your computer is under load you wont go lower than 30 frames. If you really dont mind quantity over quality then turn down your settings and carry on that way but if you are picky like me then look into a better card if you can afford it.

I cant really comment on the performance of ATI cards because im an Nvidia fan boy but Ive heard the nvidia 660 is a solid card and is priced quite well for its horsepowa. I wouldnt suggest SLI'ing your 560 though because SLI support seems to be a POS for ArmA. When I was running one GTX570 card I was getting 30-45 frames on PO but on 2 cards its much lower. Its obvious aswell when you see that even Bolagnaise is getting low frames with his monster SLI 680s!
                              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X