This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Sick of The "Age Factor"

Alot of people have a passion for just making jokes on people being young. And I'm getting really sick of it. Since I'm a teenager, that means that I'm just an idiotic, clueless brat. No, it doesn't, everybody was my age one point in their lifetime. And it shouldn't matter how old someone is, it should matter who they are, and this is referring to me in ArmA with leading sometimes, and when I'm just in Teamspeak talking to some people. It's honestly just pissed me off. So please, if you would, stop. If you don't like me based on me, then fine. But enough with the wiseguy jokes or comments about my age. I'm 14, great, get over it. Some of you apologized for saying it, and this isn't for you.

Basically I'm just annoyed with all the people who think age is important. I've tried to just ignore it, but I felt this post was necessary.

Re: Getting Sick of The "Age Factor"

I hear you man, I joined TG when I was 14 and got ragged on all the time. Almost 6 years later people still joke about the young guys. I had a similar hot temper that made me post things like this too but you cant let some joking around get under your skin. The guys here aren't jerks, they don't dislike you because you are young they are just poking some fun and its not wrong to poke some fun back.

You gotta understand that people will always look down on or make jokes at the young guys but its just jokes man. People love poking fun at people when that person explodes and makes a scene about it. So what I did was just joke back with them and let them know it doesn't bother you, even if it does.

That being said, I have noticed alot of what Puerto is talking about and Ive been on the receiving end of it occasionally as well. Us young folk dont make jokes or poke fun at you older guys without rhyme or reason so golden rule it and lets all live happily ever after?

In retrospect Puerto, you probably should have posted this in the CAA area and let an admin make a community wide reminder to keep it friendly.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

With how often people do it, it's just getting on my nerves.

And I didn't know where to post it.

Comment

If there is a particular person or people that are a bother to you then take it to CAA (Contact an Admin), it is private and they can deal with it if it is a problem. Better than in here where some may call you a whiner and such, give and take in a friendly banter and a thick skin are part of the deal here but if its more than that definitely go to CAA. I don't care how young you are if you don't care how old I am.

Comment

Its some particular people, but it's mainly to everybody. I've heard jokes said out loud, and many people laugh. Just feel like I'm not being respected based on age.

Comment

On the playground, the louder you protest the more the heat and now you have ratted out to the yard monitor, stand by for heavy rolls (sorry Navy terms). Please go to the CAA part of this forum and place your concerns, believe me the forums can become ugly , I will try though.... Hey!!!! Play nice!. That's about the extent of my power here, sorry.

Comment

Like others have said, the CAA is a great place for this. But I also believe that this PSA is needed as a reminder.

Please also look at the circumstances at which the heckling started. Was there a mistake? Did you do something that might not have been right, did you do something that seemed immature?

Yes, we all were your age at one point, but like Joe stated, pitch it back. There are many of us who still pitch each other crap (just ask Lowspeed about flying and spiders....) But when it gets to the point where it is not joking, then we have a problem and that needs to be addressed.

Also, I know when I was younger i wanted to bring my 'A' game all the time and act older than I really was just to prove that age isnt an issue. Might try that as well, or even speak to some of your IHS mates and Pathfinders.....Hopefully we can help you out and show you that, yes, even though you might get heckled, were all here for the same reason, to have fun.

Hit me up on TS or a PM if you want, as I will try and personally help out in any way that I can.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

In the little time that I've played with you, you seem pretty cool and can play the game a damned sight better than I. That's as far as my concern goes. You are young, there's no denying it so don't take it to heart. After all, age is just a number that gets higher as you get older. Just ignore it or tell them you can't hear them over the squeeking of their zimmer frames :)

Sorry, that was an awful joke. Someone hit me.

Comment

Puerto, if it makes you feel any better, i dont think anyone would have been able to have guessed your age. Anyways, you guys can call me an old fart, but I'm not even that old.

Obviously everyone needs to show respect for each other.
                  "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                  -Einstein

Comment

Dear Puerto

I didn't even know you were fourteen, you act equally in comparison to anyone else on the servers. Maturity, leadership and respectfulness do not require an age limit, you are always great to have on board!
                    WE HAVE YOU COVERED

sigpic

Comment

I apologize for posting this here, didn't think about posting this in the CAA.

Comment

Me & Puerto had a quick chat. CAA is the proper place to start this kind of discussion. I'm however not suprised and very impressed at the positive responses you guys have given this post.

Let me ask again, if you have a problem with anything come & talk to the admins first. We aren't always looking to bring down the big hammer as we can help deal with issues in a variety of ways.

On the subject of age, I don't think this community looks down on players that are younger. There are going to be differences in perspectives. The older you get the more you see them...the more you realize there must be a bunch more perspectives you haven't considered. I dunno. Anyway, Puerto, you've earned respect around here for who you are and the direction you're heading. You may get a few rough knocks here & there. We ALL do. That's life if your paying attention.

Anyway, appreciate that we had some well thought out responses guys. Still going to close this thread.

edit: PS....be nice you bleeping bleepers. Gosh!
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer
                        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                        189th Infantry Brigade Member
                        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X