Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions... I have them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions... I have them.

    First off, hello all! I remember a lot of you from the PR days, but I dont know most of you, and look forward to getting to know you in-game!

    I have some experience with vanilla Arma, but am new to TG Arma and the mods, such as ACE and ACRE. I have read through the hitchhikers guide several times, but as a newbie it is a bit of an information overload to me, and I have some questions. I apologize if these have already been answered, but I did search through the hitchhikers guide and used the "search" function for each.

    First off, what is desync? I saw it mentioned that you shouldn't move during desync, but it wasn't made clear what this is and how to spot it so I know not to move. Desync has gotten mentioned a lot, and I just am clueless, and can't find the answers.

    Is there some way to increase the volume on my ACRE radio? I understand the actual knob on the radio, but even with it turned up I still have trouble hearing radio transmissions over the sound of the rest of the game.

    When you are playing a mission that does not have respawns enabled, and you either died or you joined in so you are in spectator mode, can you use text chat? I saw text chat was available for the "group" channel but I didnt know if living players could see that, or its just spectators?

    Are you allowed to use text chat in-game? I thought I read that the answer was no, but last night in both a TvT mission (I think thats what they called it) and a patrol ops mission, I saw living players using text chat.

    How far out can the enemy hear you if you are speaking? Last night I was playing on the defenders side in a TvT and was told to stay in shipping container. I didnt really hear anybody else talking either on the radio or positional, and the rest of our team seemed to be running around and not sticking to one place, but I was worried if I asked what was going on I would be shunned because the enemy can hear me... So I literally spent 30 minutes sitting in a shipping contain without moving, until the very very end when I moved about 25 in the last 30 seconds. Never saw an enemy or fired a shot. I dont have a problem with that, I come from a PR background so I understand patience and not being an action junkie, but since everybody else seemed to be moving around freely and engaging the enemy wherever they were at, I felt like I was... missing something? Overall I was just confused as to what was happening.

    How do you get an injured player out of a vehicle? Last night on a patrol op I was with another man and he got injured while in the turret, and asked me to get him out. He tried to explain to me how to do it, but my keybindings must have been different because it never gave me any options regarding him.

    What is a TvT team and how do you sign up for one? I saw the question in the event signup thread for the 12th, and it confused me to no end because I thought THAT was the signup page?

    I have many more questions, but I thought these were enough to start with. I apologize if they seem like stupid questions, I really have looked hard for the answers before posting about it.
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

  • #2
    Re: Questions... I have them.

    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post

    First off, what is desync? I saw it mentioned that you shouldn't move during desync, but it wasn't made clear what this is and how to spot it so I know not to move. Desync has gotten mentioned a lot, and I just am clueless, and can't find the answers.
    Desync is when the servers syncs acre and such, I don't know the exact details but you should never move when there is desync on, as it it will make the desync longer.


    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    Is there some way to increase the volume on my ACRE radio? I understand the actual knob on the radio, but even with it turned up I still have trouble hearing radio transmissions over the sound of the rest of the game.
    If that is the case then you should probably turn up your volume on ts or turn the ingame sounds down, just don't turn them down to far as it is quite ambient when you can't hear people talking due to an A-10 dropping bombs over your head :)

    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    When you are playing a mission that does not have respawns enabled, and you either died or you joined in so you are in spectator mode, can you use text chat? I saw text chat was available for the "group" channel but I didnt know if living players could see that, or its just spectators?
    All chats work respectively, Group chat is for your shactac group, vehicle is for vehicle etc. If you die then you shouldn't be typing, dead men don't talk rules are enforced if i am not mistaken.

    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    Are you allowed to use text chat in-game? I thought I read that the answer was no, but last night in both a TvT mission (I think thats what they called it) and a patrol ops mission, I saw living players using text chat.
    Text chat should only be used for technical things to keep the game flowing, example JIPS and admin stuff, never for anything gameplay related.
    It is used inappropriately sometimes and it is one of the main reasons you will see people typing "STAY OFF SIDE" (Side chat).
    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    How do you get an injured player out of a vehicle? Last night on a patrol op I was with another man and he got injured while in the turret, and asked me to get him out. He tried to explain to me how to do it, but my keybindings must have been different because it never gave me any options regarding him.
    Ace interaction - pull out of vehicle.
    My key for ace interaction is custom but I belive the default button is your windows key.


    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    I have many more questions, but I thought these were enough to start with. I apologize if they seem like stupid questions, I really have looked hard for the answers before posting about it.
    Def not stupid questions mate, I have been playing here at TG-arma for 6 months and i learn something new about gameplay and rules every day :)
    It's always good to double check, especially on the text chat thing.
    sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
    [unit][armor]

    Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Questions... I have them.

      I can answer almost all of them questions for you:

      1. desync is the server connecting to all the clients and is a time period when not all clients are "synced" in to the game and they may lag quite badly during the game if they do not stay still (this has to happen to keep the server from being excessively laggy)

      2. the ACRE radio can be turned up in the settings->plugins->ACRE plugin->properties/settings and can be turned up and down depending on the need for such

      3. group is for just people in your respective group, side is for the whole of your team, global is for the entire server to see, vehicle is text only people in your vehicle can see, direct is nearby (can someone tell me the range of direct?), command is... I can't actually remember that sorry.

      4. text chat shouldn't be used at any point during ACE and ACRE except for comm errors (mic broken, etc.), JIP/Respawn co-ordination with Command (can also be done over an ACRE radio). (if there are any more exceptions please post them).

      5. in a CO-OP game the enemy can't hear you at all (AI is dumb and that sort of stuff), in TvT over a clear area depending on how loud you say something your voice can travel up to 100m or less depending on the surroundings and blockades of sound etc.

      6. Esc menu->ACE settings->Interaction key (change if necessary) this is the button to interact with anything to do with ACE, as well as your self interaction key which is everything to do with you.

      7. A TvT team is a group of people who play competitively online on ARMA 2 with other such groups (we currently do not have one at TG but I and some of the others in TG are trying to get one started up), the 12th of January is just a TvT event at TG in which we will be playing competitively for fun in 2 teams of equal amounts (check the thread for more details).

      8. if there is anything else you need to know about ACE or ACRE then send me a PM (i may not be able to apply for 2 days or more on account of my internet being down but I will get back to you with the requested answer).

      I Hope that answers all your questions so far, hope to see you in-game, learning and most of all having fun

      -Crazi
      sigpic

      warning excessive amounts of caffine may apply... results may vary

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Questions... I have them.

        How do I understand when the server is desyncing so I know not to move?

        So I can use text chat to ask if I can respawn if I go down? What channel?

        So group text channel shows to the group you were in before you died? what if you joined in as spectator? Is there any way for spectators to talk to each other without the players who are alive seeing it?

        Another question: If you join in progress, how are you supposed to link up with your group if you dont have a radio with long enough range?
        May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Questions... I have them.

          Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post

          Another question: If you join in progress, how are you supposed to link up with your group if you dont have a radio with long enough range?
          Well, when you first join in, make sure you ask the person in command what slot they would like you to take. Pick that slot and load in.
          Since you just asked the commander that, he is aware that you are at base by yourself or with other players who have recently respawned.
          The main 'Gear' box at main everytime I have checked has held at least two long range radios I believe they are known as '148s.'

          To switch from your short range to your long range: left control, left shift, A. (Should then state which radio you are using in bottom left of screen)

          To open up radio settings for current radio selected: left control, left shift, X (depending which radio you have selected, a 2D model will show up.)

          On the Short range radio and long range radio, knobs are present at the top of them to switch channels, you will have to track down which channel your
          team is on as I'm not sure asking in side will be allowed. Switch channel to your teams and make sure you have the correct radio selected then try contacting them.

          If this doesn't make sense, remember you can always ask anyone in-game and I'm sure they'd be willing to show you how.

          |TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

          'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
          Winston Churchill



          sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Questions... I have them.

            Originally posted by sushi-sacha View Post
            Well, when you first join in, make sure you ask the person in command what slot they would like you to take. Pick that slot and load in.
            How do I ask him that before I load in?
            May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Questions... I have them.

              typically the group is using TS for the ACRE MOD. Just pick a quiet moment and announce you are joining in and ask what role you should select. You may hear many voices, some talking over each other. When you finally get into the mission that will stop as long as your ACRE mod is working correctly.
              Welcome. Glad to see you at TG ARMA
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Questions... I have them.

                Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                typically the group is using TS for the ACRE MOD. Just pick a quiet moment and announce you are joining in and ask what role you should select. You may hear many voices, some talking over each other. When you finally get into the mission that will stop as long as your ACRE mod is working correctly.
                Welcome. Glad to see you at TG ARMA
                So basically before I am synchronized in game, I can hear everyone and everyone can hear me?
                May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Questions... I have them.

                  Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                  So basically before I am synchronized in game, I can hear everyone and everyone can hear me?
                  Yes, exactly.
                  The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Questions... I have them.

                    With respect to that TvT mission since I'm pretty sure I know the one you're referring to: that was a pretty unusual experience as far as Arma2 at TG goes. Blufor was very new to the mission and the opfor perimeter defense was really on the ball. You'll get a feel for it as you play more, but the majority of missions that get run are in a dramatically different style. Don't get discouraged by it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Questions... I have them.

                      Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                      How do I understand when the server is desyncing so I know not to move?
                      Press P when you spawn in to check everybodys desync, it will also render you unable to move so it's a Win-win situation :)

                      Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                      So I can use text chat to ask if I can respawn if I go down? What channel?
                      If your CO thinks everyone is dead he will type out in either direct chat if he's close enough or side for everyone to respawn, unless CO orders you to respawn you should not do it. Ofcourse if you are in a chopper and it goes down on the other side of the map and there is no way anyone can actually get to you then go ahead and respawn.
                      Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                      Another question: If you join in progress, how are you supposed to link up with your group if you dont have a radio with long enough range?
                      Most COs put comsig on the map, if it is a mission with LR radios availible for everyone then you could just pick one up and try to make contact with command, if friendlies are close enough you could try and make contact with your own squad and figure out where they are. If you are lucky there might even be a CUR POS marker on the map, just make sure you use a JIP vehicle to make your way over there, don't take any mission critical assets like choppers for usage as your own taxi :), ex being an ATV or some form of civillian motors.
                      Or you could just type "JIP @ BASE" in side chat after which you will receive specific orders.
                      But these are just ghadlan methods since i like to sneak in :)

                      Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                      How do I ask him that before I load in?
                      This can be quite tricky since sometimes commanders are to busy to respond, I always go with poking on ts since I will clog comms for all 20 people on the server if I say something on ts. If no response, spawn in as either something I want to play or something that the team is lacking like an engineer or a medic. If possible make contact with command and ask him if he wants you to reslot.
                      sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
                      [unit][armor]

                      Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Questions... I have them.

                        "Well, when you first join in, make sure you ask the person in command what slot they would like you to take. Pick that slot and load in."

                        I dont like that, it requires complete silence by anyone on the server to understand the commander, if he is actually responsible for that and not his Platoon Sergant,
                        and you interrupt anybodys game for the amount of time you need to figger that out.

                        but you can think of whatever is missing in the current troops or where you fit best or maybe even what you like to do
                        or become better in.
                        and if that is not alright with your Commander, he can still assign you to someone elses group.

                        I myself dont have any active TS sounds and I bet others have it the same set up.
                        what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Questions... I have them.

                          Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                          Is there some way to increase the volume on my ACRE radio? I understand the actual knob on the radio, but even with it turned up I still have trouble hearing radio transmissions over the sound of the rest of the game.
                          What I had to do was go into settings and turn down the other sounds. the ACRE plugin runs through Teamspeak, so you should adjust your various game, Teamspeak, and Computer/headphone/speaker volumes until you find a good balance. Personally, I like setting it so that I have to turn down my 'in-game' radio volume to a comfortable level, so that I can turn it back up in-game if needed.

                          Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                          Are you allowed to use text chat in-game? I thought I read that the answer was no, but last night in both a TvT mission (I think thats what they called it) and a patrol ops mission, I saw living players using text chat.
                          As is already mentioned before, it all really depends on who's in charge, but generally, it IS against the rules. The exception to this is if you have just joined a game, and you're out of radio range; I believe it's acceptable to put out a chat message, so they know that you're there. (e.g. "hey guy's, I'm in game. What do you need me to do?"). The commanding officer should respond with further instructions.

                          Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                          How far out can the enemy hear you if you are speaking? Last night I was playing on the defenders side in a TvT and was told to stay in shipping container. I didnt really hear anybody else talking either on the radio or positional, and the rest of our team seemed to be running around and not sticking to one place, but I was worried if I asked what was going on I would be shunned because the enemy can hear me... So I literally spent 30 minutes sitting in a shipping contain without moving, until the very very end when I moved about 25 in the last 30 seconds. Never saw an enemy or fired a shot. I dont have a problem with that, I come from a PR background so I understand patience and not being an action junkie, but since everybody else seemed to be moving around freely and engaging the enemy wherever they were at, I felt like I was... missing something? Overall I was just confused as to what was happening.
                          I know exactly which game you're referring to. That one requires an unusually high amount of noise discipline. Also, as mentioned before, that isn't a typical scenario here at TG.

                          ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                          "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Questions... I have them.

                            I appreciate all the replies, but getting conflicting answers on the issue of what to do when I join is, is kind of confusing me further. I know a lot has to do with personal preference, but is there an SOP about this? I haven't been able to find one.
                            May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Questions... I have them.

                              No written law or SOP is necessary other then the TG Primer. When entering the server and TS just announce yourself, ask who to report to and where would he or she would want you to have and do.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X