Ghadlan's how to: Fast mortars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Ghadlan's how to: Fast mortars

WARNING/DISCLAIMER! This method is the simple infantrymans method, this method allows you to get a mortar setup and ready to start raining fire downrange in 1-2minutes, however it does not include the usage of mills which means that for a FO it is next to impossible to give proper corrections, ergo the method is quite inaccurate but we will get to that in a minute.

There are some important things that you need to remember when firing a mortar using this method, one being to make sure you have line of sight with the target if it is further then 500 meters away. It's easier if you can see where your shells are landing and adjust accordingly instead of trying to make out what "50 meters east" means when you are sitting 1.5km away from the target and you are using a compass to point your gun. If the target is below 500meters than you don't really need LOS since you will be using such a low charge that wind wont be able to catch it before it lands.

On to the mortar it self, a basic tutorial on how to set up and use the mortar(with this method).

First things first is to set it up, baseplate on in hands - self interaction key - deploy tripod - scroll wheel confirm. Next step is to get the tube it self on to it, items that you wish to use should always be "in hands" which pretty much means the center slot in your inventory. Ace interaction - csw menu - mount weapon.

Mortar set up and good to go.
    Next step is to get a range and bearing to the target. How you do this is up to you, there are multiple ways of doing it and I will not be bringing it up in this tut.
    To align the gun to said bearing you need to either use your scroll wheel and chose "shift left" or "shift right", this will make you drag the mortar in whichever direction you chose. To finetune the bearing on the gun you need to hop in the gunner seat and double press "K" to get your compass to stick on your screen, hold down shift and adjust left and right with the arrows on your keyboard untill you have the desired bearing.

Now that you have the gun facing the right direction you need to start thinking about range, this is where it can get tricky since I never really use any equations to account for elevation I will not be bringing them up in this tutorial, I guesstimate and adjust, if necessary(on short range with minor elevation differences, it wont make that much difference if you miss your target by lets say 25m since the kill radius is ~140M).

Range is 600m, take a look at the rangetable and you will see that charge 0 only goes up to 500m so we have to switch to charge 1. The higher the charge the higher the trajectory which means longer flight times along with more inaccurate shots, because of the wind. Always use the lowest possible charge.

We know now that we are going to be using charge 1, take a quick look at the rangetable and memorize or write down what the elevation is in mills for the range you desire, 600m = 1373mills. Hop back in the gunner seat of the mortar and scroll your mouse wheel and chose sight unit. Look for the elevation + - tabs. If you hold down ctrl+shift and left click the elevation tab it will go up/down by a 100 mills. shift + left click and it goes up/down by 10 mills and finally just left click for 1 mill. Set the elevation to 1373 mills by using the up and down tabs. You can see a level figure for the elevation just above the elevation tabs, you want the circle to be in the center of the tab and to get this right you need to shift the mortar up or down, if the circle is to the left of the centre you need to shift it back by using shift+down arrow, for fine tuning just use the down arrow. Same way if you want to shift the mortar forward you use the up arrow key.

Once you got the bearing set in, the range calculated and adjusted for, you need to prep the shell that you want to be using. To do this you need to get a HE shell, put it in your inventory and click your self interaction button and chose "convert mortarshells". This will put the shells that you have in your inventory down on the ground as unprepped, interactable objects that you can carry. To prepare these shells you look at the shell that you want to prepare and click your ace interaction button and chose "prepare shell", a menu will pop up where you can set the desired charge, you can also set the fuze but I always leave it at impact burst. Once the shell is prepped you can take a quick look at the bottom of the shell and double check how many charges you put on, if you set the wrong charge it can go very badly so always make sure to double check.

When shell is prepped, pick it up with ace interaction and look at the gun, ace interaction again and "load gun".
    Your mortar is now set and ready to rain hell on the enemy!

IMPORTANT! The shockwave radius on the 81mm is 70 meters and the shrapnell goes up to 140, sometimes lone shrapnell can fly as far as 400 meters so keep that in mind before you start tossing shells towards the enemy. Another important note is to DOUBLE CHECK your configurations, if anything is set incorrectly it can go very badly. Only load the gun if you are planning to fire. This method can be used but shouldn't be used for howitzers, don't do it :)

Hope this helps.
    Sorry for the wall of text but I tried to make it as noob friendly as possible with basic tuts on how to actually set up the mortar and prepping shells.

P.S: Refer to this thread if you want a more time consuming but also a way more accurate way of using the mortars, this method that I have described does not include aiming poles.
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...y-mortars.html

Special thanks to chados callsign "Hawk_Eye" for teaching me this method :)
    Last edited by ghadlan; 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM.
    sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
    [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Re: Ghadlan's how to: Fast mortars

Excellent Post Ghadlan. I appreciate it.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

You sir Get one internetz

Comment

Answers my questions...+1!

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Good post.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Don't forget, your compass has mils marked around the edge.

Also, you CAN have friendlies act as spotters and call in fire support using the above methods. Just use your map tools, draw a straight line between your exact location and the enemies grid, and you can measure the mils angle using your map protractor. You can also estimate range using the middle scale on the right side of the protractor - its labeled 2,4,6,8 - these are in 100's of meters.

The smaller mortars are also light, so you can pick the entire mortar up to reposition it and reface the angle.
            "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
            -Einstein

Comment

You can use an alternate compass in your ace clippi, it will make it easier for you to get the mills.
              Also imo this method I think works best with a 60mm mortar, just set it up and get some shells downrange,no big bangbang just a big grenade that you can lob really far on let's say a technical that you can't get a shot on because it's keeping your head down with its .50cal. If you have line of sight it's easy to adjust accordingly however if you don't have line of sight and you want to be able to get corrections then I suggest using the 81mm and use either the aiming poles or what zilf just said since you can't tell EXACTLY where the shell landed, you only have rough idea of where it landed.
              The method I'm suggesting is the easy way of getting some quick shells onto the enemies.
              Scenario: Mortar + HMG set up covering a road, an enemy squad is crossing the road 500 meters down the road from your pos to flank your friendlies in the town on your left, the HMG can't get a shot on because the bad guys are behind a bump in the road, what do you do? Have the HMGs supress the enemy squad while the mortar gets a shell downrange, if there are no severe elevation differences then the shell should land where you want it to, if you're quick enough and the gun is already directed down the road it shouldn't take more then 20-30seconds to get the gun lined up and ready to fire. Imagine it being a longrange .203 with bigger bang.
              sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
              [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

If you have a spotter, remember that they can connect their Vector 21 to their DAGR and get you an exact 8 grid and elevation of the target
                |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

And dont forget the mortar tables are cheat sheets, they give you the elevations for the range and height differences. Your map tools will allow you to estimate range to the target if you get a grid ref.

maybe i should do a video on this...
                  "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                  -Einstein

Comment

Unkl have made this and others videos long time ago, just type MapTools tutorial or something like that in Google or YouTube.. For exmpl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnTPXbeY6tA or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9EoP-lGKk There isnt info how find your current 8 grid loc only with compas and maptools, but its easy..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X