Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army looking to replace Bohemia Interactive’s Virtual Battlespace 2 (VBS2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army looking to replace Bohemia Interactive’s Virtual Battlespace 2 (VBS2)

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...eTraining.aspx

Re: Army looking to replace Bohemia Interactive’s Virtual Battlespace 2 (VBS2)

Good find, interesting read. They just want Arma 3 with better graphics.

Comment

nice article.
      war is not a game

Comment

Given the myriad features that RTImmersive is offering on CryENGINE3 with Virtual Attain these days? I don't see them sticking with the antiquated VBS system any more. CryENGINE is a much more versatile engine, with more real-time modding tools than VBS and the engine is certainly much more optimised. Now, these videos have been out for quite a while and very little has really been said about them by the developers except a boatload of tech showcases, but here they are regardless and there's plenty more where that came from...

Comment

Having used VBS2 a number of times on pre deployment training I can attest that it is not currently at a standard where professional soldiers can increase their skills. However, the Arma platform provides the foundation for a perfect training simulation. Based on my experiences, VBS 2 could be completely changed by the inclusion of ACE and other beneficial mods. The obvious huge issues this would bring by having a government organisation using a free mod, is the requirement for updates , legal issues with Devs (money) etc etc would most likely make it unfeasible.
          I am looking forward to what other developers can bring to the party .
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I concur.

And for those familiar with the IT/Sec conferences, you would see quickly that VBS2 has a huge place in the milspec training space. Bohemia has a dedicated both and there are numerous supporting vendors (eg. AI behavioral modelers, logistics, etc.). I even got to test one vendor's voice recognition package for calling in artillery strikes (think Arma2 with voice-recognition that replies to you in kind).

In my experiences in talking with folks, there the gritty details of an engine are less important that for using these types of simulation tools as training assistance -- the core driver is to evoke thinking and apply real-world aspects to the spoken word without all the cost of outdoor sims. Basically a stepup from book knowledge before you have boots on. When the sim is used for behavior training there are separate sims (eg. negotiation, communication skills etc.) and is where heavy interesting in modeling civilian behaviors in AI are too.

All the said though, with all the tech available in the gaming area and Bohemia's involvement, VBS3 is definitely about ramping up the visuals more so than the finer mechanics unfortunately. The JO do not like frequent change once an adoption to something has been put in place, because in their mind there are so many potential failures and/or new things knowledge librarians would need to relearn with such changes.

That said, the article is very promising! If there now is a growing interest perhaps we'll see faster progress by Bohemia so that don't lose out on their existing foothold. I just hold that however it plays out, we as gamers get to benefit because the things you see at IT/Sec (clearance/invitation only) are unbelievable! I watched a 3D TV there a couple years ago... WITHOUT GLASSES. Cool stuff from command down to triage...

Maybe this means VBS4 (and thus child ArmA4) is what we're really hoping for? It would be some 10 years in production by then. :)
            sigpic
            I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X