No announcement yet.

Of community and democracy

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of community and democracy

There has been considerable grumbling and debate in the ranks recently relating to a change in gameplay on the Bravo server initiated by the administrators. This change was made, we have been told, after very considerable debate amongst the administrator group and is squarely targeted at improving the game experience for the community at large. I think we should take the administrators at their word that this is the case and - on this particular matter - move on and try it out.

Having said that, I think the broader issue that this decision raises - or really the way in which it was made - is one that goes to the heart of what the TG community is or wants to be. As a bit of a johnny-come-lately to TG, I may have missed previous discussions about the role of members in decision making. If that is the case and this is well trodden ground, I apologize.

It is an axiom of good management in any organization that the members will "own" or "buy into" a decision that they have been a part of. The opposite also tends to hold true regardless of the sound rationale or worthwhile goal that the decison is trying to advance. The question for me then is: how is the TG community to be governed? If we go back to ancient Greece ( comes the history lesson), there were at least two models of community governance talked about and implemented in Athens. In Plato's model as set out in the Republic, the Guardians - smarter and more virtuous in every way than the average citizen - were empowered to make all of the important decisions. In Plato's view, allowing the endless debate amongst the citizenry that went with the original version of Athenian democracy was messy, inefficient and led to sub-optimal decisions. He may have been right. But as Winston Churchill noted: "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried".

Please don't for a second take this as a shot at the TG community administrators. The time and energy that they invest in making TG a great place to play ARMA is a huge part of why it is a success and why it keeps me, for one, coming back and will continue to do so.

That said, perhaps it could be even better if there was a conversation within the TG ARMA community on how decisions are made.

End of speech...gets down off soapbox.

Thanks for reading.

Canadjun, eh?

Re: Of community and democracy

Biggs, why don't you come to talk? I'm here. Also have CAA if we can't be online at the same time.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    TG PrimerArmA Game Officer189th Infantry Brigade Former Irregular
    Submit a Ribbon Nomination!
    "this is on par with groups you have to join to get the quality of gameplay and i really enjoyed it" - random dude
    "Remember when the threat has spotted you, smoke first then bring the explosive rounds to bear. When the threat has not spotted you its bang first and smoke after to extract." - Wicks

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed