This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From your Gamer Officer

I'd like to address a few points regarding events in the last week.

First immaturity at a level that I've recently been told has drained some of our regular players to a point where they need to "take a break". This is very regrettable and preventable by one simple rule. If you have a problem, post up in the Contact An Admin thread so the admin team knows about your concern. The admins can be trusted with discretion in dealing with your concerns. I'm going to let you in on some of our secrets. We will try to find a way to influence things to go a positive direction before we get to the point of having to resort to mean old infractions and such. We go a long way in talking with the parties at issue and looking for a conflict resolution. If the reports don't come in and the issues aren't apparent while the admins are on we get to this situation. The way to deal with immaturity is directly. Let us know.

Secondly, there is this 3rd person issue on Bravo. We made a simple decision that to include some more of our regular players who would dearly love the ACE/ACRE experience that we would make it so they would be welcome on the Bravo server without having to ask for anything special. This doesn't take away anyones choice on how to play because you can simply not use the 3rd person view. Now, there are two points of contention as it has been put to me by those players who have been kind enough to speak openly and frankly with me in TS or in CAA. Lets refer to those points as A and B.

Issue A with 3rd person is that it has been taken by some as an indication that the admin team is looking to open the server to more arcade style game play. This is absolutely not the intention I can assure you. If this is the direction game play seemed to go there would be swift correction. Any game play that is not in the spirit of the primer regardless of the possibility of exploiting a function of the game will be dealt with as a matter of behavior and maturity. The issue would be the behavior not the tool. More on this later...

Issue B kind of dove tails with the first issue with the 3rd person question. That is why can't we trust our fellow TacticalGamer's to use the 3rd person only if they really require it? Why in the spirit of a cooperative game are we concerned with playing against each other more than as a team? This may not be a fair characterization but I only mean to explain the way this argument hits me. I truly trust the players I've come to know around here have a lot more fun with the restriction of 3rd person being off. If I see a player using that in a way that it's not intended for I'd correct them as I would if they were running off as a lone wolf.

Before I move on to the last larger issue let me address one more thing about third person and the admin team decision. We truly thought the community could see the merrits of including players in the ACE/ACRE mods without making a big deal of it. It's a true regret that this was wrong. We also have another solution that requires editing all of our Bravo missions which I am willing to do myself. We can simply use the player Id's to create a list of those very very few people who need 3rd person to enjoy the server without feeling ill. The admins can keep this list on the server and anyone not on this list will not be able to play in 3rd person. It will take time to edit the over 80 missions currently available to add this simple script in. This will require the server set up as it is and still playing in Veteran mode which has been adjusted to the exact same settings as Expert was before barring the 3rd person setting.

The last large issue is of how TG runs it games. I play here because of the people not the settings. Most of us do and in that mind set community is why we are here. However it is not a democracy and never was. We are all richer for the input of everyone but there are a lot of politics involved that make the use of CAA on many issues necessary. You can ask anyone who has been an admin how this works and why. My door is open at all times. I get as passionate about this community as anyone so forgive me if I get wound up when I see disrepectful behavior. I do try my upmost to be civil considerate at all times. However, when push comes to shove, I do have the biggest shove within TG ArmA and when I have to use it I use it in the best interest of all to the best of my abilities.

So please, stop the back room barking and come and chat. I really appreciate when those that disagree with me share their perspective with care.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: From your Gamer Officer

+1 good post

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Thank you. Context is everything.
      sigpic

Canadjun, eh?

Comment

I assume the people that feel ill have some sort of vertigo issues?
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Very nicely stated!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I have been playing Arma since 2008 and have never worried about cheaters and cheating because to me Arma isn't about winning, points, scores, leveling up and collecting trinkets for doing so. I have never checked my scores , that doesn't interest me in the least and it is why I play Arma almost exclusively. I also have never used third person so I never know if its enabled or not nor do I care. To me the game is about teamwork and tactics used to accomplish a mission with the least amount of casualties and having a great time with friends while doing so. Quit obsessing, stop the hand wringing and don't be that 12 year old kid in the video we have all seen. Don't sweat the small stuff, come play Arma with your friends and have fun, after all it is just a game. Save the drama for your mama and real life. To the Admins; Thanks for your efforts and time it is appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work to the Admins and Mission makers... I too come here for the teamwork and tacticalism in the way missions are played on our servers, not to worry about coming out on top etc. There is no experience out there that can compare to it
              |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

in my opinion to deal with immaturity is to wipe it out. if people start talking behind each others backs and call the admin to regulate all for them, what they
                honestly cant do, from the time stand point to begin with, this is like with the teachers in school, like with the parents and sister/brothers.
                in my opinion the only way to deal with immaturity on a big scale that is bigger than the time that GOs or any other admin can spend, like it is here,
                is directly, from anyone of us.
                If people dont stand up for each other or for common rules on the server, it wouldnt be what it is. Maybe, before I came here it was sth different, but
                that is what I see in TG.
                But when the grounds for that are being removed the words have no weight anymore.

The tendency that I see in those things that "recently" occured to me is simply to go konventional, sth that you can see in many companies, friendships, but
                TG Arma on Bravo ( thats the only thing I know here ) was and still is far away from being konventional and again, I think that is why it is like it is
                and why regular players are here.
                what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

@Unkl: Good post and I agree. I'll catch you in TS to voice my opinion on the script you speak of.

@GiJoe: It's called Simulator sickness and it occurs in some people whose eyes are telling them something different than what their body is experiencing. It is referred to as Objective Vertigo. Look it up for more details.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

It's called Simulator sickness and it occurs in some people whose eyes are telling them something different than what their body is experiencing. It is referred to as Objective Vertigo. Look it up for more details.
                    Just as a question... If it makes them ill, they should frikkin stop playing thoose games?! And if he/she cannot stop playing thoose games, shouldn't He/she seriously think about their psychological situation?!

Edit: This is a serious question, I mean: If this raises a serious illness, it should be avoided, shouldn't it?
                    Last edited by Pax'Jarome Malues; 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I hardly see that as a fair response. If they want to play a game even if it makes them feel ill (note: I don't think it is in any way life threatening or anything more than causing vomiting or making the person dizzy). If someone told me I had to stop playing games because there is a chance I can get sick, I'd tell them to get stuffed and keep playing, I would find a way. Giving these people access to third person view is finding a way for them.

I really don't see how anyone can have an issue with this, this option is only used in Coop, it must be turned on by the players and in no way forces a more arcade play style unless that player is trying to do so. I enjoy having the option of 3rd person, I like having an option to view outside a truck or blackhawk while someone else is driving it gives a more scenic drive, but once boots are on the ground, first person all the way.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity

Comment

Ah Im sorry when that post sounded harsh, I rly just wanted to know, because I didnt know this illness before and only found a report about it as I searched for "simulator sickness", as Dimi discriped it. Wasnt meant as an argument for or against 3rd person.

There is something what I really woulf like to know (because you just said it and it kinda created a question in my head).
                        I guess the most of the players are against this decision, not because they're afraid of TvT cheating or stuff like that.
                        Well I can except it (because there is nothing else I could do) but im not happy about it. Its like you are ingame and no one can see around a corner in heavy firefight and stuff like that. then a player back in the row screams: "they're coming over the left, 7 men, 2mg, grenadier, rifleman, 2 AT. Oh oh wait now they changed their destination!"... its not like that we dont accept or dont want to help people/players with this illness. Its just that Teamwork and Arma is based on equality of Information. Who ever, and he dont even has do shout it out, uses 3rd then CAN(!) have more information about the situation, then the other ones have =/= no more equality of information.
                        Saying "Then use it too, if you cant see them!"//"Then just dont use it, if you dont want to!", will become the normal excuse for using this non-tactical option ingame, very soon.
                        And this is what we are affraid of. Because it will, even when not pronounced, have an impressive effect on the tactical gameplay (if we can still say that Bravo would have an allaround TG-Tactical gameplay, what I would dispute in 80% of our stuff played on Bravo).

Is there the possibility do activate this 3rd for vehicles & deactivate it for 'on boots'? Or is also this 1st person on boots causing this illness?

wow... this post become longer than wanted... foo

Comment

I think unk has being trying to make it clear that anyone using 3rd person to gain an advantage by looking around corner or over walls will be dealt with, sure it may happen by accident from time to time but looking ahead of your position using 3rd person actually requires the players to move and rotate the camera direction and so can only be done with purpose. If a player is on the server and starts to call targets and gains information from the use of 3rd person let the admins know it is against the rules. This is here to assist people who have issues, not to allow all around vision.

Really the only people who can cause issues on the server would have to do so with intent, and need to rethink what they are doing.

Comment

Adept is correct. Carry on..
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer
                            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                            189th Infantry Brigade Member
                            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

+1 pax, I would agree some things in life are just not fair. For me, something like this should have been put to a vote.
                              Last edited by TicTac; 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X