So... how is ARMA 3? Plethora of questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... how is ARMA 3? Plethora of questions

Would love some videos/screens of TG ARMA3.

As someone who has to budget down to the 10's of dollars for gas/food, please can I get some reviews?

Some questions I would love to have answered.

-How is the game in its current Alpha state?

-Is it clunky? Is your character dropping his gun when he comes to a 2" step and failing to go over it?

-(2 part)How are the wide variety of stances working out? Does it give immersion or does it even matter with the AI on veteran sniping people at 600m with ak74.

-The game looks beautiful. Is this from beastly computer or can mid-range comps run this thing on high settings? Is it tweaked to take some load off the CPU and put it on GPU?

-Is the huge amount of players in ARMA3 Alpha server channel a fad, will it burn out?

Basically honest opinion. How much I want to support BI because they have created a game that got me involved in an amazing community, it boils down to, is it worth the sub 40$ price tag to work a few more hours and buy the Alpha?

Re: So... how is ARMA 3? Plethora of questions

Just look at it this way.. You WILL buy it someday..and it WILL be $49-$59. Right now it is a REAL ALPHA Release..meaning bugs etc.. but it is playable.. The environments are lovely and playable on my older core i5. Looks great. The AI Needs tweaked..same deal every release, Crack shots through trees through other cover. But knowing the ARMA Series you are buying the sandbox and he community will build around it.
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
      Would love some videos/screens of TG ARMA3.
      I'll get some up for you when I get a chance scotty !

For an Alpha it is fabulous, I haven't encountered any more serious bugs than my character occasionally getting stuck when I do some quick stance changes but thats about it, thats the most serious bug I have found so far lol. If the game was not missing alot off core content that will be implented later I would think it was a retail.

-Is it clunky? Is your character dropping his gun when he comes to a 2" step and failing to go over it?
      It's alot smoother but still has the ArmA clunkiness which is good otherwise it would probably be to "modern shooter" as people like to call it.

-(2 part)How are the wide variety of stances working out? Does it give immersion or does it even matter with the AI on veteran sniping people at 600m with ak74.
      AI still snipe you at 600 meters but the stances really are great, you can take cover wherever you want just by using the stances, no more looking at the ground to stop your character from exposing himself!

-The game looks beautiful. Is this from beastly computer or can mid-range comps run this thing on high settings? Is it tweaked to take some load off the CPU and put it on GPU?
      The game is beautifull, it's alot smoother than ArmA 2 and I can play it with 20 more frames than ArmA 2, and this just the Alpha! I have a fairly mid-rangeish comp and I can run it on high with 30+ frames, however I play it on standard settings because I prefer 60 frames. I have noticed when I play that my GPU is going red when I am playing while my CPU is barely even working at all.

-Is the huge amount of players in ARMA3 Alpha server channel a fad, will it burn out?
      I think it will increase as soon as the password gets taken off.

is it worth the sub 40$ price tag to work a few more hours and buy the Alpha?
      YES this game is fun!
      Last edited by ghadlan; 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM.
      sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
      [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

A: still needs a lot of work.

A: can't tell yet...

A: the definition of Artificial Intellegence may dont fit this... killer ninjas would... I think human behavior is a big part of intelligence like the part that you want to protect your life and body from enemy bullets - taking cover while being suppressed or even sniping enemy players while being suppressed is not what it should be like. To be honest I havent seen one EAI taking cover in the Alpha yet.

I have a medium PC and the game runs pretty good on it, Im able to put some points on high but have to reduce the viewdistance to about 3000.

burn out if not shortly there will be fixes for the major part of the gameplay (like the robinhood-AI-syndrome) I will starting playing on Bravo again this weekend, that game still is better for tactical gameplay and I know all my settings and keys.

Opinion:

Grafic: A- because the seagulls suck

AI: D

Landscape: B+

Controls: C-D (would have been more intelligent to do them as in ArmA2, easier for players to accapt changes)

I played it only twice yet but I have the major feeling that what they switch was: maps, engine, models (still much)

Comment

As an taste of what is to come, as an Alpha it is remarkable and everything I hoped for. I have followed every bit of info I could during development process, watching vids on sites like the German Game star so I knew what to expect. However I have still been somewhat taken aback by how much the controls and player interaction has been improved.

To sum it up in a word, fluid.

I've always enjoyed the cqb in Arma and its more realistic portrayal as opposed to other games. That being said it had major flaws, clunky, stiff armed etc. You died often more because of the controls than anything else, ie tactical approach. I often felt like I was very much steering a clumsy avatar via a broken control system. Conversely moving through cqb, weapon at shoulder and aiming down sights felt immersive but flawed. Hence you had people alternating between that kind of precise, controlled movement and full on sprinting. It was always so jarring and actually really 'gamey'.

Arms 3 smoothes all that out creating more natural, organic movement and transitions. This makes controlling your avatar more pleasurable, intuitive and natural. I personally feel much more immersed, feel like a human being as opposed to a robot with erratic on/off movement.

Moving through a built up area, ads, is fantastic now. Once you get used to the stances it allows you to utilise cover and interact with the environment in a far more realistic and natural, logical way. All hard cover is useful, be smart, examine your cover and adjust your position to utilise that cover correctly.

AI needs a bit of work but that's hardly a surprise in a sandbox simulator alpha. If you run around in the open they will target you, fire ugl rounds at you and make you pay. With 6.8 calibre rounds coming at you, well you don't last long.

Graphics, impressive. Features, tip of an incredible iceberg. Mechanics and UI, massively improved. Potential for satisfying, intuitive, tactical combat realism, astounding.
          Last edited by Wicks; 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I think Wicks sums it up pretty good. For an Alpha release I'm pretty impressed. Knowing how BI patches and improves their titles I think we are way ahead of the game compared to the intial ARMA and ARMA 2 betas and final releases.

I played an hour on the TG server doing Team death match. I had flickering textures here and there but I was very impressed at the fluidity of CQB...much improved and I can't wait for the final release.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Couple of pics I snatched on the infantry showcase, mind the stances that give you the option to lean and take cover almost anywhere with minimal exposure.

http://postimage.org/image/pu8k2bk9v/full/ -Low crouch stance
              http://postimage.org/image/97qzt8rc3/ -Peeking out of cover to shoot back at the baddies
              http://postimage.org/image/nebsll8ir/full/ -First person view of the previous picture
              http://postimage.org/image/z4pq2z1b7/ - .203 bang
              http://postimage.org/image/5550ra3j7/ -Taking MG fire from my 11 O'clock in the lowest form of crouching behind a very low wall
              http://postimage.org/image/qhcioynhf - Not sure what it's called so I'll just call it "half leaning"
              sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
              [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

Dang those do look good Ghadlan! Thanks you.

Some very awesome descriptions. Thank you guys

Comment

I think that I'm just a tad frustrated at the new learning curve (a bit like when I was learning A2). The stances are super nice, but I find that it lacks a GUI where I can quickly look up and see my stance. I think I'll also have to get used to walking around. It no longer feels like you're hovering around, and I can almost feel the weight of each step. Overall, I'm very pleased with the alpha, and can't wait for the next step. And lastly...

I threw a grenade and didn't blow myself up!!!
                  (or any of my friends either) :D

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                  "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Clunkyness is gone! This game is going to be great. Is there a Arma 3 TG server yet, will there be?

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Yep the server has been running since launch. Jump on and play.
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former ARMA TGU instructor
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob
                      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                          LOL, that is pretty damn funny if I do say so myself!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                            LOL, that is pretty damn funny if I do say so myself!
                            I think its the new wonky physics, luckily the mortars have an options to flip themselves.

Comment

I find it to be everything I was hoping it to be.. and then some. It seems to hold the same complexity while at the same time being accessible to a greater audience. I went into a pub server and received a large dose of profanity and unprofessionalism. Thank god for TG. It's like an umbrella of protection +15 against the incoming horde this refined version will bring.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X