Arma 3 Communications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma 3 Communications

As all of us are aware, we are now subject to using in game communications. With this comes a learning curve, so please let us stick to the given communication channels that the game provides, it will greatly help with command and control.

I played a couple of rounds today, and even though the teamwork was outstanding, I think our SOPs and communication protocols could use some refreshing. Here is to some more trigger time tonight to help with this.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Arma 3 Communications

I agree. I did not speak up about it because we are still in the first week, but going forward, I think Jack is right, we need to use proper communications.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

10-4?

Comment

Patience from those that know how to communicate in this game and how to lead by example will benefit the newer and inexperienced members far better then focusing on their lack of experience or skill. The both of you are good teachers and I have learned at lot from you by just watching and listening to you young fellas on the field.

Comment

We talking about people use Side or TS, or not going "1-1 Delta-Niner?"

Comment

I think it's because there is no acre, and a lot of people didn't play Bravo in ArmA 2, not saying that's bad, but I heard that ArmA 2 vanilla, they weren't as strict as in Bravo. I thought of something though for ArmA 3 Vanilla, that could fix coms.

We could have two teamspeak channels. One as Command Channel, one as Player/Soldier channel.
            The Command channel would have all the people who would ever need to talk to command like CO,XO,SL,Pilot etc.
            The Player channel would have all the players not needing to talk to command.

The command teamspeak channel would be used as the radio. The player soldier channel wouldnt be used as much, its just a place to sit in as you play.
            Now obviously each squad needs their radio, which would be the group channel, and then the direct chat von is for everyone to use freely =)

Could this happen??

Comment

It is something we can look into, however currently I see no issue with using in game VON and the TS alpha A3 channel. Squad leads can use TS for higher command and group chat for squad use. This will give everyone situational awareness in TS with command and allow everyone to talk in group.

This only works if people understand the system and abide by it. "only talk when spoken to or relaying important information up and down the chain".

If you wish to talk with your buddy, do it in direct, because he should always be in earshot.

Don't let this deter communication but if its required.
              As my recruit instructor used to scream at me, the only dumb question is the question not asked. And yes, I asked a lot of dumb questions.
              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former ARMA TGU instructor
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob
              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I still haven't jumped back onboard with TG ArmA because of how bloated and clunky ArmA 2 became with the multitude of "essential" mods the TG servers eventually required. I'm watching the development of the new game experience carefully. ArmA 3 has a much more refined feel... I'm hoping that experience won't be ruined with well-intentioned-but-obtuse mods.

I remember that Armed Assault and the early months of ArmA 2 got along just fine without ACE, ACRE, the desert maps, and all the other crap that Six Updater or whatever it was tried to download onto my computer the last time I tried to come back to TG.

I'm aware that the game strives to be a simulation, but complexity for the sake of complexity is sometimes asinine.

I've probably faded into obscurity around here. I used to go by Ray Gillespie, and I spent quite a few months as an admin here.

Comment

oh yea, it is so annoying to answer on a different channel, takes like 3 seconds full concentration to find the correct one. where is acre? buhuuuu
                  what's the value of so called "tactics" and "teamwork", when I am better and faster alone?

Comment

@bolagnaise

I just find that when people we use Side chat for our radio, it gets confusing, you won't be able to hear people next to you on direct because the side chat von is louder than the direct chat one. And if we all sit in the same Teamspeak channel same problem occurs. Also, people who don't need to hear the orders hear them, and follow them without waiting for their leader (SL or FTL).

It might just be that I'm used to acre.

Comment

Just bind your VON channels to keys like so and you will have no problem quickly changing channels to speak.

We will be staying with the in-game VON and will have to get used to it yet to be truly effective. It has everything to do with discipline and our Alpha regulars know it well. If the leaders can't use command channel because of in-game death or disconnection then there is the TS channel option. Just have all leadership jump down to the Blufor channel and you should be good to go.

Basically all in-game leadership should be using Command Channel like many are used to using the long range radio previously with ACRE. If this is not working for the situation then there is the extra channels right there for use in TS.
                      Attached Files
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer
                      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                      189th Infantry Brigade Member
                      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I put that down to poor discipline.

Side chat shouldn't be used for command. Command channel should be used instead.

Acre is a great tool, however its still an alpha release ATM, let's see where things go. No need to rush into things, everyone is finding their feet.
                        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                        Former ARMA Admin
                        Former ARMA TGU instructor
                        Former TGU Headmaster
                        Current Noob
                        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

It boils down to actual "comms discipline" and you as a player realizing that no, not everything that comes as a thought in your head is useful. I'm coming over from Planetside 2. In that game much like this one we have Proximity(Direct), Squad chat(Group), and Platoon(side). Those guys run full 48 man platoons nightly, many of them non TG people without a problem. Surely you more "Tactical and Hardcore" people can do the same.

Comment

I have two keys bound for VON...Just like I have two keys bound in ACRE, it is really not that hard. One of my keys is set for direct always, no different than my PTT for ACRE, my "radio" button is same button for ACRE, only difference than presssing a three button combo to change radios, you use two, the < >

As far as the communications go, we have to realize that sometimes, a reply might take a second to get. The SL is sometimes herding his squad into a good position when the CO wants an update....patience is key in this game. Slow is fast and fast usually means your dead. This game takes a team effort from the grunt on up to the CO. We we all just try to make one part of the game better for ourselves, that means all of those parts your working to improve will trickle down onto your other community members which then enables them to have a better gaming session.

This thread is supposed to be an informer on the standards that we all are striving to attain. We do not always need military esque coms, what we do need is pertinent communications on the in game situations that are occurring which are critical to the survival of your squad and and your team. Always keep that in mind when on the "radio"

I think we are all doing a great job, our teamwork is there, the comms need the love now :) lets all keep up the great work!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

We played this way loooong before there was an acre and we can use von and teamspeak just fine to communicate. last night we tested a Yink mission where we split into 3 squads , each with its own channel , we communicated fine and completed the missions successfully with tactics and teamwork .Adapt and make use of what we have and leave A3A alone and vanilla until the final testing is done and the game officer deems what addons can be used. There is always the Arma CO Bravo server that has everything your heart desires if you are not happy with A3A.
                              P.S. With like minded players A3a vanilla is awesome!!!
                              Last edited by ChiefBoatsRet; 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X