Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ArmA 3 - What do or don't you like about the game so far?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA 3 - What do or don't you like about the game so far?

Figured I would make this thread so we can just have a chitty chat about the game we all love, not to hate on it but just to talk about what we like/don't like so far.

I love everything about the infantry except for the sprinting speeds, it feels too fast to me.
    I love the helicopters, they fly nice and smooth, landings feel different from ArmA 2 but I can adjust.
    I think grenades take too long to blow up, and I don't like how we can't cook them, that'll probably be added in the beta or full game I hope.
    Love the graphics.
    Oh, and I love going into war with only a tee shirt and my undies.

And I have a question for you guys.
    BLUFOR or OPFOR?

Re: ArmA 3 - What do or don't you like about the game so far?

I am defiantly digging all the new stances, I just have to re-bind them on my G13 to something that is more useful. Not liking how you have to bind another key for walk, but again, will take a little getting used to.

I for one thing this is a hell of an alpha (I have limited game testing) and would really like to see them focus on the netcode, seems a little choppy like A2 did when it first came out.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I didn't bind any keys yet for A3. I probably should considering all the new controls, it'll finally put use to these 14 buttons I have on my mouse, gonna be working out my thumb soon =).

Comment

BLUFOR for everything but the underwater gun, OPFOR has a better underwater ops loadout.

My two Cents:

Hate:
        The AI - while I am not looking for AI that will line up and wave their gun in the air until I shoot them, right now the AI behave so erratically it is completely illogical. It reminds me less of a professionally programmed video game and more of that saying - if you put a hundred monkeys in a room with a hundred typerwriters eventually they will write out the complete works of William Shakespere. Similarly, in ARMA 3 there are a bunch of random AI enemies running around all over the place randomly shooting at things. Twice tonight I've had enemies run right in front of me and not stop to engage me. Once I had one of them continue to shoot through a door after I had exited the building IN his line of sight, and stand there shooting through the door after I had dropped two enemies next to him. I've seen three guys run into a zone together, one of them stop, and then reverse direction, and then the other two just split off and go do their own thing (sadly, most of the human tactics I have seen involve something similar). You would think that an enemy smart enough to shoot me while peering around a corner would be smart enough not to leave his buddies behind and run off by himself.

Bullet Penetration - So just as a test I shoot a friendly at base right next to me in the chest. It took half a clip to drop him that way. At point blank range. I have headshot or neck shot people before only to not have them go down until they take four or five more rounds. Maybe I'm crazy, but it should be easier to kill someone then this.

Equipment - Lack of a night scope makes night missions unplayable. The fact that I can't attach explosive charges or satchels to the bottom of a boat while underwater seems so incredibly short sighted. Why let you swim up underneath a boat if you're not going to be allowed to do anything to it? (Someone has posted this as a bug, we will see if it gets resolved or not. I have my doubts.) Give me a backpack and I can hoof it into town with 6 FAKs, 10 HE Grenades, 20 Rounds for my rifle, 10 HE Grenades, and a spare NLAW for my NLAW Rocket launcher. This is a bit over the top, even for an ARMA game.

Controls - Swapping the inventory key for the grenade key, but still calling it gear and not renaming it to inventory? Do they think these things through, or throw darts at a spinning board to decide what to change?

The Vehicles - No way to shoot out of them while a passenger, and also no way to kill someone riding around inside of one. Basically vehicles have become a ROCKet launcher -> paper -> scissors game - either you have a rocket launcher, or you get screwed by the vehicle every time.

Love:
        Controls - whatever idiot was responsible for making it so scrolling IN zoomed the map OUT in ARMA 2 should be fired. It's the exact opposite way EVERY OTHER SCROLL WHEEL BASED FUNCTION works. I'm amazed that they managed to fix this.

Equipment - the customization of the guns is a win win win here. Carrying things on my uniform, in my vest and in a backpack are all great. Decking myself out for underwater combat is cool. Sunglasses are a great option to add some uniqueness to the characters. I think all around the inventory system has been overhauled for the much much better.

Underwater - it's just cool, okay? Swapping clips to use the same gun above ground is pretty cool. A couple of times I've shot people out of the water from under the water, and you really have to time the shot right to avoid firing while you're in a wave, that's pretty neat. The wildlife floating around down there is pretty neat too (I haven't seen any rabbits yet, still waiting!). At first I thought it was too little but now it feels just about right.

Flight Dynamics - Helicopter flights were smooth, responsive, and much easier to control. Landings are easier, too. (I may reverse this opinion when I see how they inevitably botch the fixed wing aircraft.)

The Environment - Someone blew up the Communications Town at the Marina city place once on accident, and it really looked like they blew it up. Overall the environments here have massively improved both in detail, size, scope, and also their flexibility.

The Airbase - Unlike the airbase on the Takistan map that we call "Crossroads", this base feels alive (even when it's empty!). Fuel Tanks a gun range, an admin building with cubicles in it, four or five times as many buildings. If this is what we can expect out of the main map, then I'm really excited because this felt super realistic.

Lighting Effects - Some of the flashlights look really really awesome at night.

Things I would like to see/see changed:
        Tidal options - the Marina city has that great wash that the water comes up partially into at the beach - it would be great if they had variable height to the water to increase/decrease the distance the water crept up. IMO this would add a lot of depth to the underwater combat, because now when you're affecting a landing or undersea operation you may want to make sure to do it at high tide to get closer to shore before getting spotted.

Explorable Maps - What I mean here is the map needs to open up as you explore it. The UDT (prequels to the Navy Seals) were responsible for doing things like swimming in (under fire) to collect soil samples and scout beach landing areas in World War II. That would be a great mission, but there's no real provision for it because you can always see where the rocks and reefs are.

More Wrecked Ships/Wreckable Ships - I am sure I am not the only one who swam inside the wrecked ship you pass by on the underwater showcase. More of that would just be grand. I would love to sink an aircraft carrier...then swim around inside of it. I'm sure more of this will be coming - it would be nice if they marked the wrecks on the map (at least in the editor...maybe with ids on) so you can at least set underwater missions in or near interesting areas.

Comment

Plain and simple this is an Alpha. However so far I have been impressed with a few things.

-Server stability
          -Playability at lower FPS client side
          -More flexibility when moving as well as positioning when stationary
          -Actually loading gear into vests and other objects of tactical clothing
          -Underwater opportunities (since this is completely new it was bound to be buggy but the showcase is impressive)
          -Streamlined GUI that looks sharp and will continue looking sharp years down the road (ArmA 2:OA's GUI is butt ugly)

Somethings I dislike are:
          -Lack of mature AI functionality
          -Throwing grenades still is a turkey shoot well actually more if you have not re-binded "G"

Other than that the alpha is extremely impressive leap forward from current A2:OA standards. I cannot wait to get my hands on the final product and start running A3 Bravo and Delta operations.
          sigpic

Comment

I will save my comments for the finished product while I happily test the alpha and the beta.

Comment

@ASharpe

The placing satchels under boats will most likely be added in the beta or full game, not all the features of ArmA 3 are in the Alpha stage.
              The scroll wheeling on the maps kind of confuses me now, because I was used to it backwards lol.
              I do agree that we are able to carry tons of equipment, I once carried 150+ mags in a bag.
              I love the helicopters too.

And I love that Airbase too...only problem with it though is...WHERE DO THE SOLDIERS SLEEP!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Puerto View Post
                @ASharpe
                The placing satchels under boats will most likely be added in the beta or full game, not all the features of ArmA 3 are in the Alpha stage.
                I am not so sure about this. The underwater showcase has you sabotage a boat which they did through scripting somehow. Someone suggested placing a boat on land (because the explosives are all unavailable underwater), but this did not work either. I have looked through the default config options for the assault boat and the explosive charges extensively, and see how it could potentially be added, but it seems if they were going to put it into their showcase they would have put it into the Alpha, no?

I do agree that we are able to carry tons of equipment, I once carried 150+ mags in a bag.
                I think it's a little silly that I can carry a NLAW Launcher underwater, and fit a spare missile in my wetsuit. But then all the weapons seem to work just fine the second you pull them out of the water. I would like to see a knife though so you could cut someones airline underwater. I did references do an underwater/rebreather mine of some sort that it looks like does this somehow.

And I love that Airbase too...only problem with it though is...WHERE DO THE SOLDIERS SLEEP!?!
                [/QUOTE]

I'm assuming all those temporary buildings that have been erected everywhere are for soldiers to sleep in. There are no beds to be sure - but there are no radar control stations in the tower despite having a massive radome at one end of the runway. A better question would be, what are the massive bunkers built into the side of the hill used for?

Comment

All those things are there just to make you ponder .

Comment

I will save my comments for the finished product while I happily test the alpha and the beta.
                    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChiefBoatsRet again.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by ASharpe View Post

The Vehicles - No way to shoot out of them while a passenger, and also no way to kill someone riding around inside of one. Basically vehicles have become a ROCKet launcher -> paper -> scissors game - either you have a rocket launcher, or you get screwed by the vehicle every time.
                      This is not quite true, if you shoot out the tires of a vehicle the crew will bail. Thats been a part of ARMA for ever and works for all vehicles. Shoot out the tires on a vehicle they bail, disable the turret/tracks on armored vehicles and they will bail.

No need for a rocket launcher.
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

For me I'm 90% extremely pleased with everything I've seen thus far. The only thing I'm bummed about a bit is the AI..which seems fairly cut and paste from Arma 2. Some day we'll have an AI that will react very realistically, like scrambling for cover....etc.

Love the graphics, love the controll, love the interior environments being something that we can utilize..so much love...

Comment

I am very happy with the Alpha, it impresses me every time I boot it up.
                          Things I like:
                          -Stances are fantastic!
                          -The graphics are much improved, and only runs a little worse than Arma 2
                          -Animations are smoother (good and bad, see dislike)
                          -Smoke, and how it reacts to wind/helicopters
                          -Mouse movement is much improved!
                          -Collisions are much better

Dislike:
                          -Should be some sort of weapon mounting system, similar to ACE2
                          -Animations are a tad strange looking (that walking animation... O.o)
                          -Grenades are a bit too fast to throw
                          -Multiplayer seems to lag much, much more than Arma 2. This is, of course, and Alpha, and I was not expecting any kind of optimization (There is a lot more then expected)

These are just some of the things that stuck out. All and all a great Alpha, I can't wait for the final release.

Comment

Originally posted by King Chubbles View Post
                            I am very happy with the Alpha, it impresses me every time I boot it up.
                            -Smoke, and how it reacts to wind/helicopters
                            Oooooo I didn't notice this. Booting up Alpha right now...

Comment

Street Lamps - I miss shooting them out! lol :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X