Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Idea: Cache Hunt TvT (Public's Opinion request)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Idea: Cache Hunt TvT (Public's Opinion request)

Hey guys, I'm working on trying to get back into mission making...and to get myself back on my feet I've decided to start work on an extreme project instead of something simple. :icon_roll:

Current plans are as follows:

Island - CLA_Clafghan

Server - Bravo (ACE/ACRE/TGMAPS)

Player Count - ~40-60 Max, ~20 Min at this point (TvT always works better with more players sadly)
    (~20 BLU/REDFOR(Faction still TBD), ~20-40 Insurgents/"Cause Supportive" Civi's)

Mission Type - Cache Hunt/Insurgency Team vs Team

Summary -
    The idea running in my head is to have BLU/REDFOR(CINS from now on) move into the valley of CLAfghan via either Air Transport or Ground or both. Give players some sort of option in how to move into the objective. Possibly add a Parameter to allow for different starting points for the CINS forces. Each base could possibly have different vehicles/support equipment for use.

Currently I am opting for Russian or CDF to be the CINS team, primarily due to their aircraft. As much as I know players would love to have an A-10 for use, I want to see if I can get this all to work with one of the stated factions first. Chances are I include air support (on delayed spawn & long respawn, possibly). CINS will have the ability to use the Su-25T (KH29 varient), and may have a chance to use a Hind (up for debate, if I were to implement this, I'd probably opt for the variant with the fixed 30mm cannon. Either that or give decent AAA capability for the INS team).

The Su-25T has the KH-29 missile. This missile is manually guided in by the pilot's on-board laser designator and is best used on static targets. It is also equipped with a 30mm Gun (250rds) and 80 S-8 Rockets. The airframe would be more than enough to provide ground troops support when they need it.

I'm giving Air Support to the CINS to try to have CINS forces not rush in all gung-ho, and rather try to stay back and win the fight with superior fire volume, suppressing the enemy and calling in Air Support to take down the INS. On the other hand, I'm hoping this encourages the INS team to be a little more aggressive and reckless. Opting for sneak attacks and hit-and-run tactics. The INS team can't let itself get bogged down or else risk getting planted into the ground by a 500lb missile.

Above I stated "Cause-Supportive Civilians" for playable units. My idea behind this is to offer a limited number of player controllable civilian roles. These units would have no respawn allowed. Their job is to make whatever of it, basically. They can recon, roleplay, or attack the CINS troops. I am thinking of maybe making them oblivious of INS troop positions and objectives. It is the role of the INS team to recruit these players into assisting them and not the CINS team. If they choose to be a suicide bomber, then so be it, but its at the cost of the player's game if they decide to blow themselves up to attack the CINS. I'm hoping that this puts those players in a state of mind that really makes them want to blend in and act their role.

To counter the Civilian team's inherent issues, I'm going to attempt to code a "Bean-Bag Shotgun". This is not going to be easy, I can already tell. The idea is that certain units on CINS will get a shotgun with slug ammunition. When that player shoots an enemy with it, it will only drop them to the ground instead of killing them, possibly knock them unconscious using ACE_Wounds.

My plans on respawn are still in development. I'm thinking of giving INS forces unlimited respawns, and possibly CINS forces a limited number of spawns. Again this is to encourage certain behavior from players. I want the CINS team to value their life and the INS team to believe they are giving their life for a just cause.

The way the mission will play out is, CINS will start away from the objective, only knowing a general area in which they will find the Weapons Cache. The CINS team will have to make their way there and search for it. It is best for the CINS team to observe and patrol.

This is the mission plan as it is right now, what I want from the community is their feedback, concerns, questions, and suggestions of the idea. I'm really excited about working on this and hope to have it complete and running in the near future. Would be a great event type mission.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Re: Project Idea: Cache Hunt TvT (Public's Opinion request)

Really cool idea. I like everything youve suggested. Maybe not Clafgan? Perhaps there is something else out there?
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
      Really cool idea. I like everything youve suggested. Maybe not Clafgan? Perhaps there is something else out there?
      The reason I was thinking CLAfghan was since it was the only map that has a dense enough cities as well as enterable buildings for player's to use.
      • Emita City, while nice, is mostly just cosmetic buildings and doesn't have much in the way of anything but the city (CINS has practically no travel time, nor do they 'safe' base where the INS can't just easily get to and camp.).
      • Fallujah is just a mess of non-enterable buildings.
      • Lingor is a little bit better, but still suffers from useless buildings.
      • Takistan isn't dense enough and Zargabad is also too small.
      • Tasmania's town's are way too small and spread out to be workable for this.
      • I haven't looked too much into Ovaron.
      • Celle would be great if the cities were a little larger and closer together.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

This sounds like it would be a slew of fun.

Comment

Alright, I have a question for everyone.

Would you rather a Middle-Eastern INS Team or a Resistance/Militia INS Team, or in other words, Desert Scenario or Woodland Scenario?
          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Hmm...for the map I think a Middle Eastern INS would be life like, something that would resemble the Taliban. Like the Takistan Militia faction.

If it were Lingor I would say a Resistance faction, like the Chernarus Guerrillas.

I really think the Russian faction would be awesome on this map. The Su-25 and Mi-24P (the version with the Gsh-30-2 cannon) would make great CAS assets. The Takistan Militia could be armed with 2-3 Stingers to counter the threat (make it seem more like a 1980s Soviet-Afghan War map).

Comment

Salivating...
              sigpic

Comment

I think I'm going to aim for a Chechen Militia-esque INS faction. Give them decent equipment, but still have them out-gunned by the Russians. I'll probably do two versions of this mission.

Version 1-
                Island: Celle 2
                CINS: Russian Forces
                INS: Militia
                Air Support: Su-25 Frogfoot, and maybe Mi-24P Hind

Version 2-
                Island: CLAfghan
                CINS: USMC
                INS: Takistan Militia
                Air Support: A-10A (Mk-82), and maybe a AH-1 Cobra

If anyone is able to find a way to create an object in a random location that is in a building within a certain radius of a marker/logic, that would be fantastic.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
                  I think I'm going to aim for a Chechen Militia-esque INS faction. Give them decent equipment, but still have them out-gunned by the Russians. I'll probably do two versions of this mission.

Version 1-
                  Island: Celle 2
                  CINS: Russian Forces
                  INS: Militia
                  Air Support: Su-25 Frogfoot, and maybe Mi-24P Hind

Version 2-
                  Island: CLAfghan
                  CINS: USMC
                  INS: Takistan Militia
                  Air Support: AV-8B (LGB), and maybe a AH-1 Cobra

If anyone is able to find a way to create an object in a random location that is in a building within a certain radius of a marker/logic, that would be fantastic.
                  Fixed it for you. ;)

I was wondering, why not one of the F/A-18 mods that are out there?
                  http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18278
                  http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14861

Comment

I would recommend Zargabad, and as air support hind or any fixed wing is good, with cas you cant go wrong, just give descent AA

Comment

I'm very interested.
                      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                      So that when they turn their backs on you,
                      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

@BP

You can group the objects with a marker and it will randomly spawn

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                          @BP

You can group the objects with a marker and it will randomly spawn
                          That I get, but its more so the issue of getting them inside buildings and in trickier areas, that way they aren't completely obvious for the CINS team.
                          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

How about you hand pick a lot of spots and then choose out of those pre-selected locations at random. Here is the script I use for placing objects while I'm editing. I just go to the location and use my scroll wheel addAction to find the actual x,y,z coordinate. Then alt-tab to my script and enter those into the last line which will move my target item to that location the next time I use the addAction. This way I can tweak the z coordinate so it works properly.

Code:
                            //getPlayerPos.sqf
                            //for editing to find the location at the players position

_unit = _this select 0;
                            _caller = _this select 1;
                            _id = _this select 2;

_currentPosition = getPos _unit;

_unit sideChat format ["Position is: %1", _currentPosition];

//sleep 5;
                            //documentsBox setPos [1942, 5703, .5];
                            //hint "moved";
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer
                            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                            189th Infantry Brigade Member
                            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Mission is coming along nicely so far. Currently have a working Cache system which places the Cache in a random area dependent on a Region Parameter at the start of the mission. Total number of cache locations is in excess of 200 (thank you Unkl for the location data again!).

Players start at different locations dependent on the region that the players select to play in. Currently working on an Intel System that narrows the C-INS forces' search for the cache. Got a working "Knock-Out Shotgun" but the moment I turn ACE Wounds on it breaks due to ACE overriding the damage-handling. Help with this would be much appreciated if we got any other script gurus out there.

That's all I've got so far. Hopefully be done with this in the next week or so so long as everything goes according to plan.
                              Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                              Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...