Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Down until 7/2

Hey guys,

Started working on my new Rig with what parts I had on hand, but the rest of what I need isn't showing up until next week, so I'll be done until around 7/2 Sometime, but then I should be back up and running and able to get something better then 20 FPS in Arma 3 when playing online. I hope.

Thanks,

Sharpe

Re: New Build - Down until 7/2

Pics or it didn't happen.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
    "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

When everything here, pics. Until then:

Intel i5 @ 3.4 GhZ w/ 32 GB of RAM
      2 x ATI HD 7870 (Crossfired)
      200 GB SSD for Gaming
      60 GB SSD for Operating System
      Brand New 1000W Power Supply (Yink, I have a spare!)

I want Arma 3 5760x1080 with 50+ FPS on Max Settings!

Comment

7/26 ... *cough*
        sigpic
        I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Blah, actually Ryker I meant 8/2. Some of my parts won't be here until next weekish sometime.

On that note, I will never ship anything using FedEx again. UPS managed to get something from my door less than eight hours after it left Los Angeles (I live in Michigan, just outside Detroit). Fedex shipped something to me on Wednesday and the only tracking information available for it is that it left Los Angeles, on Wednesday. It does not inspire confidence that it will be here on time.

On that note, I installed the motherboard and processor last night, and am now considering adding two case fans to my case to increase airflow (currently it has none). One of the SSDs came, of course it is NOT the one for the OS, so I got that hooked up too. I'm happy to see my motherboard supports 8 Sata Ports, my old one only had five. On that note, the changes in hardware have thrashed my Windows installation, so I will have to do a clean install, which is fine because I was planning that anyway.

Power supply and OS SSD are waiting at home, now it's just a matter of that second graphics card and the second batch of RAM...

I am going to try to get up and running on ARMA tonight, though, at least 2 if I can't get 3 running (who wants to bet Steam makes me re-download?!).

Comment

Stupid work proxy. Double Post.
            Last edited by ASharpe; 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

You can't go wrong with extra case fans. I have 4 and my PC acts like an air conditioner. ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I find it unusual for people to try and save HDD's when installing a new OS, especially with software installed on it. I usually just formatted everything at once and started over, avoiding the hassle of the OS and software not being hooked properly.

Either way, good luck! Remember to remind us how well it all runs!

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

I use Acronis with auto backup, a copy of all three of my SSD drives is kept on my regular HHD. I can erase, recover or move a working copy of any of my drives with the use of Acronis on a usb stick drive. It saves me a lot of time and headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
                    I find it unusual for people to try and save HDD's when installing a new OS, especially with software installed on it. I usually just formatted everything at once and started over, avoiding the hassle of the OS and software not being hooked properly.

Either way, good luck! Remember to remind us how well it all runs!
                    In my case, I am an application Developer, and I have three drives with nothing on them but programmed applications, and legacy code, so it's somewhat understandable why I want to keep these.

Comment

@Chief, that's an awesome tool. I am going to have to look into that.

@Sharpe, I understand. In that case, there is no reason to format. I was assuming you had software installed based on your comment about how steam would make you reinstall arma.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

@Chief, that's an awesome tool. I am going to have to look into that.

@Sharpe, I understand. In that case, there is no reason to format. I was assuming you had software installed based on your comment about how steam would make you reinstall arma.
                        Well my Steam has been installed on my N:\ with my OS on my C:\ and the new drive took over C and N became O and then I added D which is the new SSD. So I ran Steam and it reinstalled, and I tried to use Steam Mover to move the games to D:\ but it broke the snot out of everything, so I deleted local content, setup a new Steam Library on D:\ and now everything is still downloading all over again (Arma 2 is almost done).

On the other hand the second GPU is here now - I have a post about some troubles I had with it over in the tech support forums. So everything is installed in the system. Now I have a new problem - apparently Windows Home only supports 16 GB of RAM so now I am thinking about upgrading to pro.

My Benchmarks on the 3D Mark software on Steam doubled from my old system to the new, and then again from one card to two, so I am hoping to see some serious performance gains in Arma 3 when all is said and done.

Comment

Have you always used AMD GPU's? I've always been an NVidia guy, but was considering switching over.

Comment

Have you always used AMD GPU's? I've always been an NVidia guy, but was considering switching over.
                            Well, this is an interesting point. Traditionally I have been an nVidia guy. Personally, I consider their cards to be a better product, both in manufacturing and in terms of capabilites with games. I'll put some more notes below on the choices I've made and why I feel the way I do and you can read them if they interest you. Bottom line, I would rather have nVidia, but it really depends on what you want to do.

The case for ATI:
                            That being said - I am mostly a flight simulator guy. I run five monitors currently, and the AMD Card is the only one that allows me to run 6 monitors on one card. This is why I am running the Eyefinity 6 instead of say, Dual 7890's. This is in fact that best Crossfire setup that will allow you to run six monitors on just one card. I have tried running multiple monitors on multiple GPUs and it just doesn't work out. For me this is the only setup that makes sense. If you want to run three monitors for a single video game, AMD cards are better for this then nVidia cards because of their capability of merging monitors into monitor groups. This forces the computer - and any number of software applications installed on it to recognize three monitors as a single monitor. Under this concept, ANY game that detects the windows resolution and supports whatever your native desktop is will be capable of widescreen game. This is actually a staggeringly large amount of games. No software hacks or gimmicks, no Direct3d hacks, just triple screen gaming. Very few have camera setups that can handle it, but still, it's much easier to do multi monitor gaming with ATI then nVidia, and that is my primary goal.

The case for nVidia:
                            On the other hand if I didn't care about these things - I would buy nVidia. I have only ever seen a GPU chip explode on an ATI - and I don't mean it overheated, I don't mean it burnt out. I mean there was a crack from the computer and when we opened it up the ATI card had a hole through it and the chip was singed and sitting on the other side inside the CPU case. After seeing that, I stopped buying ATI cards. Later that year we had another one let go the same way, just inexcusable from a quality control standpoint. These cards were both less then six months old when they let go like that. You would think we were overclocking or something else ridiculous, but these were being used office computers that did nothing but process Excel documents all day on two monitors. All of that being said, if you look at 3D Marks video game ratings and benchmarks, the top 11 cards are all nVidia cards - all single, nVidia cards. Most ATI rigs that come close to those numbers are of course, Crossfire rigs. So you can certainly get more bang for your buck with an nVidia.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X