Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arma III - Close Quarter Battle Guide (WIP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Arma III - Close Quarter Battle Guide (WIP)

Thought I would share a CQB guide for Arma 3 I am currently writing to see if I could get some feedback and hopefully provide some talking points.

Urban Operations

Never move faster than you can effectively engage.

Do not sprint recklessly from cover to cover. That is the kind of behaviour that should be reserved for desperate situations, perhaps under fire, where you have effectively already lost the tactical initiative, i.e. you have been decisively engaged by your opponent.

High likelihood of hard contact in close to medium proximity? Walk, yup, walk. Nobody killed anybody because they were moving in a hurried, reckless, tactically unsound manner. A helluva of lot of people have died because of it though.

Walking pace, weapon shouldered or Aiming Down Sight (ADS) provides the following immediate benefits;

- Stable weapons platform

- Reduced audio and visual signature (human eye tracks movement, the slower the movement, the longer it takes the human eye (and the brain) to discern the shape, recognise it and evaluate the threat potential

- Facilitates movement discipline. If you are moving slowly, in a measured and controlled manner, you are less likely to stray into a squad mates firing lane. If you do so there is a greater window of opportunity for you to correct that and for your squadmate to exercise (life saving) fire control.

- Facilitates muzzle discipline. You are moving in a controlled manner, as are your squad mates. You are following your firing lanes and controlling the pace at which you interact with your environment. The deliberate pace at which you are moving means you have far greater muzzle awareness, you are far less likely to accidentally track across a squadmate in this scenario.

- A steady advance on your targets allow you to bring far more accurate fire to bear, quicker. Dependent on the situation it can be tactically advantageous to 'press' your opponent, rather than stop, once engaged, at the first hard cover available. That kind of 'move, stop, shoot' assault method can be appropriate, however in some situations, say after creating the initiative with a dynamic breach, it can effectively surrender the initiative, close the window of opportunity, you have worked hard to create.

- Enhanced general visual acuity and target acquisition. The environment is unfolding in front of you in a controlled manner, rather than flashing past you in a blur as you tear from hard cover to hard cover. This will enable you to to see things more clearly and process the subsequent information much more rapidly. Instead of your brain having to process everything all at once as you spin and dodge around, head bobbing from the speed it will receive a steady stream of controlled, relevant information. You will scan the potential threat areas in an effective way, because that is where you will be looking. As a threat appears you will identify it quickly because you actually 'saw it earlier'. Your brain will process that information faster because it is not overloaded with the kaleidoscope of images you would see if your head was spinning all over the place. As threats present themselves you will see, acquire, aim and execute in a process that is much quicker in total than if you had been 'rushing'.

There are a couple of common phrases floating about that sum up this last, critical point, somewhat succintly.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

"Speed is fine, accuracy is final".

Those adages are spot on, absolutely bang on target. Test it yourself. Set up a close range target course, doesn't need to be complicated, merely a series of targets laid out in front of you in a semi linear fashion that you must advance on to clear a compound for example.

Now run that course at normal, jogging speed. Dependent on experience, level of practice etc, you will probably notice having to expend more rounds to hit your targets. You will get fliers (rounds way off target). You will notice the muzzle sway and decreased muzzle discipline. You may also notice, when compared to walking ADS, that your time with 'target acquired' (i.e. target spotted, weapon brought to bear) is increased as you struggle to bring your weapon 'in'.

Now 'walk' that course with either the weapon at the shoulder or better yet, sights up. Think about how quickly you acquire the targets, how quickly you can traverse between targets and how effective your rounds are and then ask yourself which is actually 'quicker' overall. Which is more effective? Which get's the job done. Think about the amount of time you spend scope locked on your current target as you wait to regain composure and control of your weapon. Now, consider this scenario with multiple moving squadmates and perhaps a hostage or non-combatant.

Another benefit of being able to advance in a controlled manner, whilst putting effective lead down range, is how it changes the environment for your opponent.

Firstly having assaulters moving towards you unrelentingly, in a controlled fashion, whilst putting very effective, lethal fire on target is well...disconcerting if not downright terminal. It is a psychological game changer.

Secondly it is game changing in a tactical environment sense as well. When engaged in this manner most people will 'go firm' behind the first available hard cover that immediately faces the threat, then, begin attempting to return fire. Now if you are charging about in uncontrolled manner you probably aren't putting accurate fire on to your target. As such you will most likely be receiving accurate fire in return as a result. This will at best see you potentially pinned at the first available cover you reach, or at worst, taking casualties almost immediately. Both scenarios stall the assault and set the 'failure clock' ticking.

If you advance in a controlled, aggressive manner, you a) are able to put effective lead downrange and b) begin changing the tactical landscape for your opponent. The angles of cover and threat begin changing, rapidly and unrelentingly.

More to follow..

Addendum - related to 'general fire and maneuver'

Call your reloads, all the time.

When moving and shooting in pairs or fireteams, always 'ask' for permission to move. By that we mean clear your movement with the team/individual that is going to facilitate your movement with fire. Let him/them know of your intent to move so they can put a fresh mag in before you break cover. You do not want to be in the open and hear a dead mans click from your teammate nor the frantic call of "reloading" when you are in the middle of open ground with another 20m to go to the nearest hard cover.

So the order of business is as follows:

Alpha "Ready to move"
    Bravo "Reloading.....ok, go"
    Alpha "Moving"

Upon reaching your destination

Alpha "Set, engaging"
    Bravo "Ready to move" and repeat......

To be continued

I have more to follow on the second section and will be looking to expand into full on fireteam operations in both Urban and non-Urban.

If you took the time to read it, thank you. I hope you found it interesting and informative, at the very least I hope it provided some food for thought.

Cheers

Re: Arma III - Close Quarter Battle Guide (WIP)

Great stuff Wicks. Spot on--especially the comms between FT members when moving.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Secondly it is game changing in a tactical environment sense as well. When engaged in this manner most people will 'go firm' behind the first available hard cover that immediately faces the threat, then, begin attempting to return fire. Now if you are charging about in uncontrolled manner you probably aren't putting accurate fire on to your target. As such you will most likely be receiving accurate fire in return as a result. This will at best see you potentially pinned at the first available cover you reach, or at worst, taking casualties almost immediately. Both scenarios stall the assault and set the 'failure clock' ticking.

If you advance in a controlled, aggressive manner, you a) are able to put effective lead downrange and b) begin changing the tactical landscape for your opponent. The angles of cover and threat begin changing, rapidly and unrelentingly.
      This is such an important aspect. I hear & see many players who think they need to "do it my way" or "do what I'm good at"...while this attitude is seldom spoken, I am paraphrasing behaviors.

Wicks, is what you have described here the act of using formation & lanes of fire in a slow paced and super controlled way in effect making your own "hard cover". I mean, it's not actual cover but that your team's rounds down range are so disciplined and effective that you might as well be behind cover but without the cover there to obstruct your view. This seems entirely attainable when you are meeting a force that is equal or undisciplined. If that balance is tipped you may need to adjust strategy.

I love this post. You have been hinting at it for a while now....I think it could be a game changing guide for many around here. I've certainly pick up a few tips and more effective tactics from this first post. More I say, more!
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Maybe in the next post you can mention the different way to breach, and please slice the pie

Comment

Great guide for CQB.

One point I would bring up is this.

"- Reduced audio and visual signature (human eye tracks movement, the slower the movement, the longer it takes the human eye (and the brain) to discern the shape, recognise it and evaluate the threat potential"
          You are assuming player vrs player.
          In coop taking cover is a better option.
          Then, using a basic bounding with a 3-5 second cover to cover rule should yield better results.
          As an AI does not have problems spotting slow moving targets. (unless something was updated in arma3)
          You may say yes but doing it vrs AI will help practice for PVP, untrue you will be getting false positives from the AI.

That being said walking in Urban environments in Arma is most defiantly more productive than run and gun.

And your guide is Cool :)
          The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. Yup breaching is on my list and will include plenty of pie! :-)

Comment

Very good points BL1P, thamk you.

Agreed the guide is somewhat leaning to pvp in that humans present a more varied yet not necessarily more challenging threat.

The AI are likely to be much less responsive to suppression, or at least will react very differently to humans. However I do believe in CQB this approach will still yield significant results simply through efficiency of movement, action and ability to engage targets faster and with greater accuracy. You lose the psychological benefits when engaging AI so it then becomes a question of maximizing the speed, accuracy and lethality aspects.

If you breach and engage targets quickly and accyrately, clear the 'fatal funnel' so squad mates can get on target etc and sweep the area smoothly whilst moving it can be done, against anyone or anything.

If the engagement ranges become extended against ai then yes I think moving to cover and bounding is going to be key, particularly in view of tge ai's often unerring accuracy. A larger space means longer acquisition times and as a result your opponent has longer too. Hence this is very much a cqb focused portion of the guide and proximity dependent. For this approach to be successful you have to move smoothly with control and hit your targets fast. It definitely requires a little practice but the results show very quickly. I test it a lot against AI.

Going to start putting the guide into pdf format I think and get some diagrams, screenshots and illustrations, maybe short videos done. Then finish my CQB course map in the editor.

Comment

I keep toying with the Idea of making an Urban MAP for arma3 when the tools are released.

2x2 map with lots of buildings etc :)
                The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Thanks Wicks, very helpful to me. Waiting for more.

Comment

I'm toying around with the idea of re-vamping some of the TGU infantry material specifically for ArmA 3. If I may, I would like to use this material for an Urban/CQC training section.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention a technique to consider adding to the room clearing portion, or any portion for that matter (when you do), Stepping of the "X". i.e. when you come into contact, immediately changing your location (even just stepping to the side) can have a dramatic effect on your survival.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                    "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Thanks guys, Shoomfie, hold fire with the Copyright skulduggery lol as it's not finished. Look for me on TS over the weekend or whenever you can and we will work something out.

Comment

Blip I would love a map were you have to clear an apartment complex think of the tactics and the dangers of the multiple rooms

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X