Server 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2

As we continue to progress with ArmA as a title, we are looking at possibilities for running a second server. No directional decision has been made as of yet, so I am looking for input from this community.

Here are some things on the table that I would like to discuss with everyone.

Shorter missions – 30 minute mission time frames for people to pop in and out a little bit easier when they don’t have that much time to commit for several hour missions.

TvT – Having rotational times set for PvP

Persistent – We have some in-house rockstars developing a persistent mission that is very unique to TG.

MODs - Yes, we can add MODs that add value to the above scenarios.

With all of that, I would like to change things up on a rotational basis for possibly each night. This server will also be passworded and be fed from the player base we get from server 1.

I ask each any everyone to offer ideas and plausible directional courses of actions. I will not make any promises that we will go in any specific direction as of this point...
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Server 2

Hey Big C,

here are my 2 cents.

Shorter mission : 30 minutes seems a little short, i would suggest 1 hours instead.

TvT: Absolutely!

Persistent: On what time frame are we talking about? Couple days in a row, weeks? MSO like missions (event)?

-Rat
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Short timer words

Shorter Missions – Awesome, from a development perspective I would love to see some short hard hitting (and not so hard hitting) missions that utilize teamwork elements. I still love the nature of the planning and prep for a good long mission though and would not want to see that excellence diminished as a result of a larger “short mission pool”.

TvT – Not sold on TVT just yet. IF there were a system to randomly pick the players for the squads and if that were used in the mission design or the player placement It might be a tick better (Been there done that with “loaded” teams) . . . might be fun for those who know the map, know the mission, have played it a million times and can easily react to any random spawn based on so many repetitions of play (ala Halo and other maps I have played etal), but I’m always open to a good idea and plan as it comes together.

Persistent – is this called “Domination” as well?? I believe some of my earliest ArmA play was in a few of these maps. While the actual “team” play wasn’t totally where I’d like it to be (tight TG player knowledge of my teammates), the design of the mission and the support of those on the map worked well with some taking the role of “support” moving player spawns to the front, and others taking the role of “lead” to move to the line and direct troops. I also like the nature of the “line” and knowing from time to time where we are starting and what has (to some extent) gone before. Nice Idea and if it is mixed with good open field contacts as well as urban street to street stuff, then it could be a winner IMHO.

MODs – My two cents – Radio / HUD / And the ability to “move” between FTs – nothing is worse than getting detached from your FT only to be assigned to a team . . . . . and you can’t see a single one of them on the map or talk to them OTHER than Direct or Side. I know there are ACRE’s of issues (pun) but I’m not totally jazzed on the Vanilla channels . . . I’m not so sure that “Direct” works so well in Vanilla anyhow (seems I can hear people pretty far off and some near team members not so well (could be player mic volume settings . . . .but that is whole OTHER thing).

Awesomeness abounds at TG and I love every moment (even when being reprimanded – yep, it happens) learning the ropes and the players along the way.

Thanks BigC for the open channel on the topic.

MadSoloSniper

<Contact Denver approach on 120.25 - frequency change approved>

Comment

I think the two tier servers was a great option for A2 and would also work great for A3. One server for vanilla only with seeder type missions to show how we play here at TG Arma and the other server is more advanced with mods and hard core missions. We still have a small group here that enjoy vanilla only Arma that will gladly play persistent type missions and show the TG way to new players and help "push" them along to the hard core server. Events can be scheduled for either server and I know our talented mission makers can provide great missions for both servers. We need to rebuild our player base with a lot more new faces and tactical teamwork based play on a vanilla server with a gentle "Look what else we have to offer over here", as we move them along to the more advanced play server. I don't think it will split the community as long as there isn't that superior attitude from the hard core server towards the vanilla hard working "cat herders" that started to happen with Arma CO.

Comment

Im up for helping, weather that be generating custom content for the server addons etc or just mission.

Comment

Here are a couple minor clarifications to some items posted above...

The shorter missions is two fold, one for mission makers to create single objective missions which is easier and the other was to allow for people who only have 30 minutes to pop on the server to join. Our missions on server 1 tend to last a long time (1 hour+), which is great, but not everyone has that kind of free time to dedicate each night. Also, the flexibility with JIP and respawn will be addressed so during that shorter window we can maximize fun time.

Persistent mission play will not include Domination. The Dev team is creating something new that is TG unique that continues in the tradition of team play. Throwing Domination up on the server really does not do much to further what we are trying to do as a collective. This will be a persistent database for Co-Op or TvT.

Server 1 will only be expanding. The vanilla server is attracting lots of new players to TG and introducing them to the way we play here. We will continue to press hard on developing new and fresh content that everyone seems to be enjoying.

As for times or schedules for doing any or all of the above, it is totally undecided. It may be something where each night is something different until we fine tune what people enjoy and what is being utilized.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Great ideas like them all. But if I had to choose I would say Persistent Mission, Could the Co-Op have a system like Insurgency where you could choose to play Opfor? that would short of address the TVT aspect also.

I haven't see many Mods that tickle my fancy other than Acre, ST Hud and Extended Grenades & Throw able items (armaholic.com/page.php?id=22214) which would be a vast improvement over the vanilla toss, at least till till the Ace boys come through.

Comment

+1 on this @BigC
                sigpic
                I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

I like having 30 minute missions, even if it limits the missions in a way it doesnt mean we cant use our imaginations, I wouldnt mind seeing whole campaigns of 30-minute episodes that has different objectives such as assaults, defenses, patrols and reconnisance objectives with a briefing that shows all progressions during the episodes. I have played all of the missions on A3 server and enjoy them all. Usually the missions have fitted the squads with equipment to go right into battle

I can't wait for mods and persistent missions to come in but I like how things have started out so far this early-stage

edit: one thing I'd like to take up is how TGU is gonna progress? I'd like to see classes bring fourth new SLs/FTLs/COs and other roles in people
                  Last edited by Xorilliz; 10-19-2013, 12:45 PM.
                  - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Its entirely feasible. We could work on missions that are separated by objectives in mini-mission. With custom "rdy to rock" load out it cuts the initial period by a lot. Also, i think we should have a special marker on mission names for that kind of mission. Letting people know that those are small and fast paced missions.

my two cents

-Rat
                    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

The intention for the shorter missions is exactly what you guys mentioned, pre-loaded players that waste no time and literally get to a single objective. Think of it as some of the way the older missions were, you start inside a flying helo and are inserted into a objective as the game loads. You go straight to the mission. Tactics will not be lost, simply we are trying to focus on a single objective in a more confined area. As for having units kitted out from the onset is something I actually enjoy that more because no time is wasted at the beginning of a mission. For some reason BI has done a bad job with the default loadouts to this point, they overload you with needless crap that weighs you down from the onset.

As for TGU classes, they are working diligently with the mission makers at the moment. Hopefully the CQB courses will be ready very soon so we can start to begin classes that are

Comment

I wouldn't say they overweigh the loadouts, 8 mags, few grenades with standard outfit, vest and helmet and as an addition the nightvision and chemlights for night ops... the only thing we need different is to remove the night stuff if we want to and/or change the amount of ammunition, which I already feel is perfect as it is

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xorilliz View Post
                          I wouldn't say they overweigh the loadouts, 8 mags, few grenades with standard outfit, vest and helmet and as an addition the nightvision and chemlights for night ops... the only thing we need different is to remove the night stuff if we want to and/or change the amount of ammunition, which I already feel is perfect as it is
                          That is the point. If I am only doing a 30 minute day mission, I don't need all the extra stuff. Plus carrying all those extra smoke grenades and 203 rounds are only useful in certain scenarios.

Comment

you're right. and I forgot to mention the P07 pistol, I have never used it once in a TG mission yet. I'd like that, night stuff and some of the ammunition gone... I kinda like the 203 rounds though, they weigh almost nothing and only 2 classes (FTL/Grenadier) has them for signaling, indirect fire and for use against enemy light vehicles, lately I like to rely on 203's and bullets instead of an overweighted launcher to take out vehicles

sigpic

Comment

I like the ideas in this thread.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X