No announcement yet.

Concept of Operation Brief - Discussion

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept of Operation Brief - Discussion

For those of you that are unaware of what I mean by a Concept of Operation Brief, or CONOP for short, let me lay down a quick lesson.

A CONOP is a brief given by the command element of an operation in order to disseminate easily and quickly the information regarding the operation to all applicable units. The CONOP usually contains information about the tasks, conditions, and the situation (both friendly and enemy) and is usually put forth via a deliberate and precise method, such as a power point presentation. In layman's terms, it's the "this is what is happening, and how" lesson the commander will give his units.

So, many of you may be saying; "That's cool, now... why hold a discussion?". The answer is simply that I noticed there wasn't much of this CONOP stuff going on, and I wanted to ask you guys why, and if nothing else, then the discussion should lead to HOW.

I'll start off:

I build CONOP's because it gives my sub-commanders and even grunt's a good idea of the mission. On top of this, I plan and conduct all of my missions in accordance with the 8 TLP's, and a CONOP is what I can consider my "Step 7". Ofcourse, I take into consideration here that every commander doesn't exactly do things like I do, or may not even have the time to issue a complete CONOP.

For those of you that are wondering how exactly to put together a CONOP, try using a template I threw together quickly. Just modify the information to fit your mission. LINK

Do you guys like reading CONOPS? Are they worth creating? How would you make them, if you could. Any changes you would make to my template? And lastly, what information would you want to see on the CONOP?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed