Testing Alive MOD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Alive MOD

We have Server 2 up running the Alive MOD if anyone is interested. We are trying to put it through its paces for feasibility for the future.

208.43.76.154:2343

You need to create a shortcut from you Steam directory with a launch string similar to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" [email protected]_a3;@alive;

Download the following MODs and place in your Steam ArmA3 directory.
    Alive MOD: Alive
    CBA MOD: Community Base Addons
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Testing Alive MOD

Hey, thanks for putting this on - it seemed like quite an interesting idea although I did notice a few weird things. Not sure if you want the feedback but here you go anyway:

1) Googol, Biggs and I started as OPFOR but weren't getting any objectives. Not sure if this is the way its meant to be? Googol and I may have jumped into the server too early perhaps?
    2) Biggs and I later changed to FIA, but when we respawned (I chose AR) I still had all my OPFOR sniper equipment and we respawned at the OPFOR base. Clicking the respawn button returned us to the FIA base but I only had default gearboxes with no AR weapons.
    3) I also noticed I had 20 watches in my inventory, not sure if this happened at the start or on respawn
    4) FIA choppers appeared to be wrecked with dead pilots in them - not sure if this was a result of enemy action before Biggs and I spawned in
    5) Objective squares seemed to randomly appear and disappear (for instance at one point the whole North Eastern part of Altis was red then suddenly it was all clear about a minute later.

Seems like an interesting concept with a little way to go... before the mission started I was getting about 25 frames (I normally sit around 25-30) then for a while I was getting 8 frames. Later it seemed to revert to about 25 with the occasional desync - not sure how much of that is on my end given my terrible internets.
    sigpic

Comment

We totally want feedback from everyone on how it is. This is a Alpha version, but any input can be passed to the developers.

I experienced a couple glitches myself.
      The respawn was dorked up, even after crashing to desktop, I cam back and respawned with same exact gear even though I changed roles.
      Someone respawned in a vehicle I was driving, then warped to the base to finish spawning. Even after they got out of the vehicle.
      The objectives does take a couple minutes to populate, it took about 10 minutes for all 3 sides to finally get objectives.
      FIA does not start with a attack helicopter like the other 2 factions (maybe designed that way)

I was trying to monitor the server when the game was in full action. There is a huge load on the server, but it was able to hang tough even with tons of AI all over the map. I will tweak some settings and see how everyone and the server are affected.

Post up what you all experience, that is why we are evaluating this for future use...
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I spent the whole mission (at least the time I was boots on the ground) by myself . . .

Fast comments then long narrative

Spawned in as FIA initially – no joy, no chopper (well one over head . . but I’ll address that below)

Later completely disconnected and spawned in again as another faction . . . and the game dumped me right back in where I was . . . as my chosen faction just on the other side of the map from my cohorts . . . no help there.

There was NO ONE on the radios . . . . not sure what that was about unless Rudolf was AFK while standing still at the FIA spawn point.

Longer versions

Spawned is a FIA with Rudolph . . . who was just standing at our spawn point . . . I can only assume doing “server” stuff . . . so I was alone

Chopper overhead showed as “green” . . .took a pot shot at in anyhow as it wouldn’t come in and pick me up nor would it go away . . . . got the “cease fire” from the game AI . . . guess it IS ours . . . just can’t use it . . . . ever

Grabbed some gear (sniper rifle and some rounds (not many rounds in our kit boxes even though there were a ton of load out boxes) . . . no backpacks of any kind I might add . . . none . . . and headed out in a pickup truck with a MG on the back (by myself) . . . drove forever checking the map on the way to see where I could actually engage something (all red boxes were like half way across the map) finally got close to a red box showing enemy infantry . . . so I snuck to the top of the hill, got in good position for taking out some EI from about 500M away . . .was doing pretty well (4+) . . .then I guess the AI thought I was more of a threat and spawned in two (TWO) armor elements . . . I was able to duck them for a while, but with a single shot from a completely different nest at one EI . . . . the ever present perfect shot AI took me out with a single GL. . . . . with no interest in driving across the WHOLE map again . . . . I bailed and was going to come back in and help other people who were ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME . . . lol.

Spawned back in to help the other teams . . . and the game put me in as that element . . . .just at my last spawn point with Rudolf (still just standing there) . . . and I was on the other side of the map from my team . . . . well that was not going to be a fun drive (and still no chopper) . . . . so I bailed again . . . and called it a day.

Solo

PS - reading below I too noticed that the squares would randomly (it seemed) go from red to clear, to blue back to red . . . sat and watched the map for a while just keep updating . . . waiting for something that was at least near me stay lit for a while . . . . also the system would "Cancel" my missions (like I was going to be able to blow up a comms tower by myself) . . . and then make a new mission for me . . . and then just as quickly cancel that one as well . . . . . seemed very random . . . . lol
        Last edited by MadSoloSniper; 12-08-2013, 08:44 PM. Reason: Added the PS . . . . :-)

Comment

Remember this is but one showcase mission. I think the test of how it works is in the hands of mission makers just as any mod. The showcase mission may very well be set up to run with a second dedicated client taking the AI load from the main server (Headless Client). I really wouldn't doubt that is the case. So, perhaps it's best for some mission makers to get into the ALiVE tutorials and bring some sanity to what currently is a fully populated Altis (even if it is cached).

Now, how does it play if everyone goes the same team and thus the server isn't populating the entire map at once? That can be tested with the Showcase mission.

I did notice that lag on respawn. I would respawn and a few minutes later (I mean minutes) then I would get the option to choose my respawn point from one of my alive team members. Hmmm, but by then I was already moving on some other course of action. That is a game breaker and wonder if that can be resolved by getting into the parameters of the mission. Anyway, the mission and mod are two different things to be evaluated.

I think the mod has fantastic possibilities to help great content get out quickly. Mission makers, please take the time to check out the tutorials and try to make something while we test this!
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Re mission and respawn lag / choice of location - as OPFOR Googol and I never got any of these options, not sure about Biggs who was on our team. One reason may be that Googol and I were in the game hanging about the gearboxes about 5 mins before TheBigC "started" the server, so not sure if that was the cause. Also with OPFOR I never got a cutscene intro like I got when I switched to FIA.

What are the chances of doing a similar test with Patrol Ops for a comparison? Is this too much work, or does Patrol Ops even need this kind of test? (B was setting mental notes in one of his blogs to fix up some aspects of Patrol Ops so not sure where this sits on his priority list)

Unkl - I would definitely be up for trying with everybody on the same team to see if that changes the performance or experience.
            sigpic

Comment

I have read in other places (not that you haven't already thought of this) where it can be used to populate OPFOR AND BLUFOR . . . . so you are part of the mega battle . . . just not the whole battle. . . . I think it might LOOK cool . . . not sure how good it would be for gameplay, but as you say, In the hands of the awesomeness of our Mission designers . . . . can't wait to try it.

Comment

PO is ready. More to come within the day.

Comment

PO . . . you mean Poo . . . . . already done with that . . . . now on to email and morning cup of tea . . . .LOL

Can't wait . . . . . :-D

Comment

So me and rudolf have been working on something all day... It is truly epic. Rudolf made me a believer in Alive and during the development and testing I am gonna say that this initial mission is gonna be awesome. What I hoped PO to be is actually in house developed. Tonight we test... Tomorrow we play.

Comment

Ok, what i am playing right now that Rudoplh put up is pretty good. It is definitely the direction that will help. And whomever built in a proper tank to that mission, you get +rep from me!!

As a note on this, this booted right up with no lag in module creations for objectives. It is way ahead of the stock Alive mission we tried out yesterday.

Comment

It's still taking 5-10 minutes to spawn in all the locations but you won't notice with everyone loading up etc. Me and B are planning on some friday nigth ops. So if something is broken/ wrong let us know so we can fix it.
                        TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

There is the issue of losing your backpack and helmet that happened the first time everyone entered a vehicle for the first time. Not necessarily a mission making bug though..

Played well and solid for hours last night. The server did not take any real load even after we drove around everywhere and tons of AI spawned.

Comment

Sounds great - do we get to play it tonight?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                              There is the issue of losing your backpack and helmet that happened the first time everyone entered a vehicle for the first time. Not necessarily a mission making bug though..

Played well and solid for hours last night. The server did not take any real load even after we drove around everywhere and tons of AI spawned.
                              So figured out this bug with gear. It will be fixed in v2. Also gonna introduce role restricted asset utilization. Inf squads will not be able to bring tanks and IFVs everywhere and crewmen and pilots will actually have purpose.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X