Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGU Battle Drill - Formations & Reaction To Contact (announcement only)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] TGU Battle Drill - Formations & Reaction To Contact (announcement only)

Battle Drill will occur Sat Jan 18 at 7pm EST as per THIS THREAD
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: TGU Battle Drill - Formations & Reaction To Contact (announcement only)

If you have problems joining the server hit me up on ts.
    TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Awesome training, thank you Unkl . . . all good stuff and helps to "Tighten" up our formations. Practice, practice, practice will help get it flowing smoothly, but thank you Unkl for taking the time to give us the instruction.

Comment

Was this a sanctioned TGU event (will there be a pin for the participants)?
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

This was a TGU event and currently there is no pin for Battle Drill Participation but I will run that idea up the flag pole. Thanks Lp. It was a fast talking version of the basic infantry course which covers even more material but at the expense of much less time for actual practice. I will list the topics covered and then the topics missed from the TGU Basic Infantry Course.

Had a fun time on the server last night, was a great group. I've heard nothing but praise about the game play lately on the servers and what a great group to hang out and be tactical with. Thanks for the gaming evening gents.

TGU ArmA3 Battle Drill - Jan 18/2014 @7pm EST on Server 1
          Covered the following topics:

Fire Team Tactics
          Fire team member roles - Rifleman, Grenadier, Automatic Rifleman, Team Leader (other roles Asst Auto-Rifleman, Rifleman/AT)
          Fire team formations - Column, Ranger File, Wedge, Line, Diamond
          Buddy teams
          Controlling fire w/buddy teams

Movements in formations including:
          • communications
          • spacing
          • speed
          • sector coverage

Halts in formation including:
          • communications
          • sector coverage
          ...for the following conditions:
          • very short duration
          • short duration
          • long halts
          Transitioning from Halt to Movement

Target Recognition
          Calling out 3D's - Direction, Distance, Description
          Direction - methods for communication direction including the directional (left, right, half-left, front, rear), bearing, clock-ray method
          Distance - methods for judging distance including familiarity, referencing known objects by size, bracketing
          Description - the importance in putting the other two pieces of information before the decription
          Calling out Sighting vs Contact

Fire team Actions on Contact
          Getting the AR on contact or two rifleman if AR must move, getting on line and winning the firepower advantage

Squad Level Tactics
          Fire team roles (standard fire teams, base of fire teams or weapons teams, team with Squad or Section leader)
          Squad Formation (squad line, squad column)
          Squad leaders and Section Leaders (section leaders lead a fire team as well as the other team leaders in the section)
          Squad Movements including
          • Travelling
          • Travelling Overwatch

Squad Actions On Contact
          Find/Fix/Flank/Follow Through
          • Find the contact and communicate the position
          • Fix the contact with superior fire
          • Flank with another element including:
          • move to position to attack from 90 deg
          • announce preparing to attack
          • when closing the target call for shift or lift fire to the base of fire (BOF) element
          • Follow Through - attacking team clears the enemy contact and follows through 20m, hold position while the BOF element regroups, then Ammunition-Casualty-Equipment (ACE) reports and hold position 3 minutes quietly in case of counter attack

Items that were missing from the Basic Infantry Course:
          Fundamentals of Infantry - some theory items on the use, importance and advantages of infanty
          Individual Movement Techniques (IMT):
          crawl, low crawl, walk, run
          "I'm up, I'm seen, I'm down" method of moving in combat also known as the 5 second rule
          Cover vs Concealment
          Choosing routes
          Types of Fire
          Weapon Safety
          Stance, Stamina and Marksmanship
          Movement techiques: Bounding as fire team or as squad in two forms:
          Bounding Successive
          Bounding Alternating
          Last edited by Unkl; 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks Unkl - a very clear training session and good summary which made me break my promise to go to sleep "around midnight". I've done the basic course but this was a useful refresher. I enjoy the structured approach to the game although as Solo says it needs a lot of practice to keep from becoming a dog's breakfast.

I am also curious how different the drill should be for reaction to sightings compared to contacts - a lot of our engagements seem to result from us sighting first. Actually that's probably not a very straightforward question to answer given it relies on position, strengths, objectives etc!
            sigpic

Comment

I kinda regret not showing up to the drill, it sounds like it was really helpful, especially for me, since I don't know a lot of the basics ( am sure some of my fellow tactical gamers would agree)
              Do you think you will be offering it again Unkl?
              sigpic

Comment

TGU Battle Drills and courses will continue. My plan is to rewrite the Basic Infantry course and then start it up again. The drills I will shoot for just under 1 per week.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X