practice practice practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practice practice practice

So here I am all new to ARMA and I am starting to drag my BF buddies into it. Does anyone have a favorite mission for introducing new people to ARMA relatively gently without having their heads explode? I've pulled a bunch of missions off of the Workshop, but haven't found the right fit yet. I am hunting for basic vehicle intro, moderately docile bots, a wide range of weapons, and infantry basic stuff. I asked over at ARMAholics and they locked my thread and told me to use the search function :( Didn't seam like a very warm welcome to a new convert.
    "We the unwilling,
    lead by the unknowing,
    have done so much with so little for so long
    we can now do anything with nothing."

Re: practice practice practice

I use the editor to drop a few units to fight against.

Its quick and you can drop people right into what ever situation you want.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Yeah, trying to get some of my buddies interested in ARMA last time I was back in Oz I just made a few quick mission. For instance I dropped a few AI in a town and put us at the airfield with a helicopter - add some NVGs and turn the difficulty down a bit and it was a pretty decent ARMA beginners experience. Once we got into the swing of it I loaded up Domination and before we knew it daylight was breaking outside :) We were using the Arma 2 Free version so they didn't even have to spend any money.

By the way, if any of your friends don't have A2 just about the entire BI back catalogue is currently in a Humble Weekly sale for $6... https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
      sigpic

Comment

Howdy McKee,

When A3 first came out [MENTION=54443]woesterudolf[/MENTION] made an Armoury mission that was perfect. I added some AI here & there that you could choose to go hunt. You could try every vehicle, learn the weapons and do a little hunting. We should get an updated version up shortly. Also, there is a Battle Drill going on Saturday night (7pm EST) where getting in and doing some basics may be fun.

I'll reply here when the mission is available.
        Unk
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Hm... The editor huh? Scary, but I will look into it. I think I have the armory mission loaded.
          Not sure they all are ready for the more structured TG setting. They will come around once they see that run and gun really doesn't work that well. I may be able to join Saturday (family scene.allowing), and I will pass on the invite.

Also, thanks for being cool TG, and not locking the thread and leaving a super snarky comment about search functions.
          "We the unwilling,
          lead by the unknowing,
          have done so much with so little for so long
          we can now do anything with nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by McKee View Post
            They will come around once they see that run and gun really doesn't work that well.
            Great to see new faces and I'm glad you are bringing others. ARMA is my first love but I've been seduced by the flash of BF4 myself for the past 3 months or so.

You know already but tell the others the biggest difference is the pace of gameplay. ARMA offers amazing moments of combat and drama but it plays out at a real world pace unlike anything found in the Battlefield series. Understanding that going in makes it much easier to enjoy the ARMA experience.

Hope to see you on Altis soon. Look for me in the TG BF4 server as well. We are wringing as much tactical gameplay from Bf4 as possible.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The editor is a bit more work but once you get the hang of it is not all that scary. SCRIPTING on the other hand can be a nightmare, although with a few thousand litres of blood sweat and tears you can make just about any mission you want to play. It all depends how much time you want to spend making vs playing! If you go down the editor route there are a bunch of resources in the mission editing forum here that can get you started or search youtube for "really simple arma mission editor tutorial". I found these ones pretty useful: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-mi...s-pclipse.html when I first started editing.

Have fun!
              Last edited by woesterudolf; 01-17-2014, 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed the url
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X