Trying to build a Gaming PC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to build a Gaming PC!

I'm posting on this forum because I want my fellow tactical gamers' opinion on the new rig I want to build.
    I have been saving for quite a while (you've probably heard me complain about my frames before), and I have set a budget of $1000 for this new build (this is my first time attempting to build a gaming rig)

I've been doing some research for the past month, and have come up with the follow components;
    -Intel Core i7-4770K
    -Asus Z87 PRO
    -Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750
    -Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (tower)
    -Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8gb)
    -Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive
    -WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
    -Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
    -HD radeon 7990 GPU (I already have this card, so am planning on using it with the new build)
    -I have not been looking for a monitor, but might consider buying one in the near future. Any recommendations?

The total comes to 1009.99 w/out taxes, and they are all from Amazon (I compared prices with Newegg.com, overall, Amazon was cheaper. I have dealt with amazon, and amazon customer service before, so am a little bit more comfortable with them.)

Any comment of remark would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the RAM and the PSU (I want to overclock in the future, and would like to have enough power to do so.)
    sigpic

Re: Trying to build a Gaming PC!

You may get a series of opinions from fans of each side of amd vs intel and different SSD's but from what I see on your list you have it pretty well covered. Depending on the mission on our server and things going on, you should be good for 20 to 60 frames, up and down the whole time. Never expect to get a constant 60+ frame rate with Arma 3 and you won't be disappointed. Be content with how the game looks and feels to you while playing instead of chasing the frames with fists full of dollars.

Comment

Ramna,

What you have is awesome. Like the liquid cooled Corsair 100i (I have it and I will never look back)j. SSD is key as I think it's a big performance boost (not to mention that the rig will fire up in like 10 seconds). Make sure you have good case fan circulation and the rig you have selected should perform well.

I got a number of "not if you're not going to over clock" statements, and I have to say I'm happy with my rig and it will run A3 at Ultra across the board WITHOUT any overclock.

Looking forward to seeing you in game at better than 5 FPS . . . .lol . . . kidding.

Solo

Comment

thanks for the reply guys.
        Solo, do you recommend any case? I choose this one for two reason, the first, it was cheap ($40), the 2nd, it can take up to 5 fans (comes with 1 only).
        sigpic

Comment

I bought a large case

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

$169.00

from NewEgg.com for a number of reasons

1) so I could get my big hands in there to put it together
          2) for future upgrades
          3) because it came with case fans and a place for the radiator (Corsair 100i)
          4) for case airflow ease
          5) because it's HUGE (lol)
          6) because it came with a bunch of ports built in
          7) it came with a good quantity of fans (two 230mm fans - boy do they run quiet and two 140mm fans - the whole thing has amazing airflow), some lit fans (cool-ness factor even though I'm the only one to see it)
          8) good name and all steel
          9) good cable management keeps them out of the way and the airflow unrestricted (but with the huge case that isn't much of a factor)
          10) because I didn't know any better to buy anything smaller . . . . .and I love the case.

In the end I looked at a bunch of cases and I like all that this one came with and the facts above. Many of the people I talked to had good experiences with CoolMaster (me too!!!!) and between the price and the size and the fans it already came with it was the pick for me. My next case will be the Corsair 900D (even huge-er) but that is going to be for a full liquid cooled multi-GPU multi-radiator system (and a ways off at this juncture). I like big cases what can I say. The build was super easy and there is plenty of room to grow.

let me know if that helps.

Comment

I am happy with the Corsair Vengence C70 in military green. lots of room for up to 10 fans and large Gpu, easy to build in. So easy a 70 something guy can do it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Or you could make your own case :)

sigpic

Comment

Funny how it looks like an ammo box Chief.

I paid more for a case that had multiple fans. I think it's necessary but if you buy the extra fans and install them yourself you should be good. But...you'll run into issues about where to plug them in and how to control them. Not terribly complex to solve but as a first time builder it might make sense to go with the higher end case. Remember--this is going to last you 3-5 years so extra money on a better case is a good investment.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If you want to OC your cpu you prob want to go for amd fx 8350 or intel 3770k instead of the 4770k. The 4770k gets hot quickly due to it's structure.
                  TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Mech if that is your case . . . . good on you my friend . . . . makes me want to build one as well (but where to put the fans??? . . . lol).

Chief I love the look of that box. Complete with carrying handles . . . .awesome!

Good stuff. I've seen micro formats put in everything from books to cereal boxes, but that is a PC box "I" would want.

I agree with Grunt on the case comment. Big part of mine (first build as well) was the fact that all the fans were there and already wired. Getting them power turned out to be an easy task (Corsair 850HX - but that was for future expansion as well) and I only had to switch one from "in" to "out" because of the radiator setup.

Comment

I wish Solo :) although I do want to make my own case next time I build a PC. I like yours Chief, definitely in the ARMA theme :)

Only advice re fans is don't go cheap and nasty unless you want to end up sitting next to a jet engine noise generator.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have the 3570 cpu and the gtx760 which both run nice and cool. With the C -70 case there is room for water cooling on the top and the bottom but I am on all air. I bought (almost) silent fans, (it comes with three) I have two in front pulling, two on top and one in the rear pushing. The whole bottom of the case is vented,(with bottom filters) also the side window so plenty of air movement. This was my fourth build and the one I have been most content with.

Comment

All great advice, thanks fellas.
                          Solo, I looked at your case, and it looks awesome, but am not sure it will fit in my room...
                          Rudolf, I have read about the CPU problems with heating, but OC is something I might/might not experiment with, thanks for the heads up though. Grunt, I like your idea, do you have a particular case in mind?
                          sigpic

Comment

What do you guys think about this one? the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver High Airflow ATX Cube Case
                            sigpic

Comment

WARNING: CORSAIR H100i

As a big warning, please do not buy an H100i or H80i while using windows 8.1. You will have issues for the program that runs the water cooler. Have not seen a new update for the software, so be careful.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X