Enemy Weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enemy Weapons

In general terms a soldier is reluctant to pick up enemy weapons. There are many reasons for this and some of those are:
    1. The sound of firing an enemy weapon can get you shot by friendlies.
    2. Your resupply for that weapon is limited.
    3. Your not covering you sector when hunting for bodies to scavenge from.
    4. YOU DARN WELL BETTER RETURN THE WITH THE RIFLE THAT WAS ISSUED YOU

Now Arma is a big game and there is no limit to scenarios that can be conceived. The mission may require such actions in the case of a poorly equipped force (sounds like fun). However, in general there are reasons and roles for players to have particular weapons in a fire team.

Now to the flip side of the message. This is a gentle reminder to us all that in most of our missions a player who has looted an enemy body for their fav sniper weapon or for other such loot has misunderstood something about the way we approach our games.

Yesterday while creating missions as Zues I warned many players about picking up enemy weapons without the order coming from their leader & most often it had nothing to do with being short on ammunition. Eventually these players found themselves flying a kite with a key attached....in other words...ZUES ZAPPED! I kind of like it, a soft kick of sorts. The offending player has to respawn instead of being kicked.

The reason for this message is simple. I hope we can spread the word around and by our leadership and example have less need for bad weather on the server. You guys can set the tone and help players understand what "realism in tactics" means.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Enemy Weapons

I have never even thought about that 4th point there haha, good reminder I like it. I'd also like to remind that same goes for enemy clothing - backpacks seems okay for some people but for me it sure does not; if no backpack was issued then you were meant to have the things you were given or you're just supposed to be lightweight plain and simple; but the one thing that really makes me itch is when players pick up enemy vests and helmets. I see no point for this in any case. During the mission yesterday I noticed CSAT players carrying AAF (enemy) backpacks, helmets and all variants of weapons and even other equipment (MRCO scopes being looted)

As a zeus myself I like to give ammunition only and no scopes, binoculars, weapons or other equipment inside base boxes - if anyone has any good opinions in what to switch up in the boxes, let me know
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Expanding on what Unkl has mentioned, another reason to not pick up weapons unless instructed is audio sign. Each forces weapons have distinct sounds so you know what type of weapon is being fired near you as opposed to at you. You hear an Opfor weapon you know you have enemy close. Start mixing and matching and you have to start ignoring that early indicator, which obviously can lead to disaster.

Comment

Nice reminder Unkl. Yeah I'll put my hand up and say I was a bit lax at first when some non-TG guys were running the show. I cleaned up my act I think once Zeus started with the smiting. From memory a couple of the smitees had a giggle about it afterwards so it provided both a lesson and a laugh... A+ :)
        sigpic

Comment

except the very first smite which had a very good laugh :) I'll remember, dont smite next to structures!
          - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

I picked up a dead friendlies scoped weapon and waited for the smite but was shot instead so the end result was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
              You guys can set the tone and help players understand what "realism in tactics" means.
              Hello here!
              In Arma3 weapons haven't jams like real. When u will be alone in cover in 50m away from ur dead fireteam with broken weapon by enemy bullet what u will do? Around enemy ammunition, nuclear bomb. But stop, its enemy! Better give up and let ur country send 100 soldiers to death for saving u than use this weapon? In my country in real life in WW2 not each soldier has weapons, it takes a time and resourses to build tank or aircraft (same in Europe), so they use enemy weapons. There wasnt Zeus where u can paradrop aircarrier whereever u want. Some take weapon coz they havent, some coz they found better (with enemy MG he could kill more enemies than with his own pistol or knife).
              Another side, u shooting on sound? Heh, so if enemy will take ur weapon and will shoot at u, u will not react on it? IMHO good organization between teams give more chances to win, nevermind what weapon they use.
              Sry my Engl.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                I picked up a dead friendlies scoped weapon and waited for the smite but was shot instead so the end result was the same.
                Well Chief I assure you you were not shot by Zues. LOL. No, really. It wasn't me.

Edit....well i could have been until the Zues remote control bugged out. You guys shot me several times when I was controlling an AI & couldn't move or fire or relinquish controls. Mission was on hold until you found me & shot me ;)
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer
                "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I don't know, can't let a good optic go to waste. Especially when the mission expects you constantly fighting at 500+m with a crappy rifle.

Comment

That I understand Axis. It is like the RCO should be standard issue. If your leader agrees you're golden. Im thinking more of those who grab the weapons not suited for their class or faction. One day this ai accuracy will be fixed. Waiting for a good suppresion server side mod if bis doesnt get there.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

If you are a friendly with a scope and you die, I will tear it from your still warm twitching fingers, in a heartbeat. The idea of getting struck by lightning for a better enemy weapon is not unlike a shock collar x 1000. Certainly works faster than "don't do that"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                        That I understand Axis. It is like the RCO should be standard issue. If your leader agrees you're golden.
                        A squad leader who doesn't agree with it is a masochist. It's the future, not 1968.

Comment

Come on in and join a game. Then if you have a masochistic squad leader, send me a pm. There mayvbe a good reason dependant on the scenario.
                          Last edited by Unkl; 04-23-2014, 07:57 AM.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X