Tips and Tricks thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and Tricks thread

This is a simple tips and tricks thread, nothing like full blown building breaching procedures or complete strategy on how to conquer Madagascar in 3 easy steps. Small things, that can be useful in-combat or not. Small things that can make big differences. Whether it's a new a perspective on use of equipment or an idea on a tactic.

I'll start;

Smoke Grenades. It's a tool of signal and concealment. When you use them for movement or covering they should be thrown where they are closer towards the enemy then you. That way it covers more of their vision yet still allows you good vision on surrounding areas and gives you more leeway on what way you can move under it's concealment factor.

Re: Tips and Tricks thread

Nice tip. Hadn't thought of that one.

Crossing someone's line of fire. Announce that your crossing. WAIT FOR THE ANSWER! Saying crossing during a firefight doesn't mean your buddy heard you. Simple one but harder to do when your under fire and your chasing the shot. Team first.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Occasional compass kick. Jumping off the Heilo or out of a vehicle when setting up 360 I'll pop the compass, find a good landmark at a given direction (N,S,E,W) and mark it in my mind. that way if something happens I'm at least ready for rough directions without hesitation. Also, when moving (leading or not) I'll pop the compass while walking even to make sure I have good orientation (In real life I never NOT know which way I'm facing . . in the game . . . I suck) so maintaining which way I'm facing and moving helps me with quick call outs (even direction changes) without the normal hesitation (moments are critical sometimes as we know).

Two cents.

Solo

Comment

Don't walk in front of people engaging, be aware of your surroundings. If you need to move, do so behind your buddy, not in front. Sounds really obvious on paper doesn't it, right, now think back to the last time you played.

Comment

Dont mess up the ability to range that AR by putting an optic on it. Your job as automatic rifleman is to suppress first. You get them stopped and pinned. The riflemen knock em down. When your watching a far ridge line get a range to it. Press page up or down to range your AR for that distance. You can adjust from there as needed.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

this is more applicable to real life, but I find the AI react fairly well to this. It's called: Stepping off the X. if you take contact, odds are, the enemy has already stopped and got a bead on you, So logically the first thing to do is: get out of the line of fire. Most times you won't have time to get all the way to cover, but "stepping of the X", before turning to engage can save your digital life.

Although the compass bearing is great when calling out sightings, if there's a direction of travel and you come upon an enemy, don't forget that you can call out simple direction too (right, front, etc.), and it's usually much quicker than pulling out a compass.

at night, using a glow-stick and smoke makes a very visible marker, for choppers to find an LZ.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
            "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Doubletap keybindings can make the key "sticky"
              For example, quickly pressing ctrl + A to sidestep and then releasing ctrl and then pressing W to move forward. The game will interpet is as you are pressing ctrl + A, followed by ctrl + W and you will adjust your stance twice. The game thinks you are still holding down ctrl way after you released it. This has something to do with the game checking to see if you tap ctrl twice (lower weapon)
              After rebinding my "lower weapon" key, my "stance adjustment" key no longer is "sticky" and i have better control over my character. It also feels more responsive when lowering the weapon.
              One other example of this phenomenon is the "numlock zoom" key. Unbind the doubletap toggle and you will notice it is more responsive

I recently noticed it is possible to assemble static weapons with one piece in an inventory of a nearby vehicle and one on your back. So if properly set up the deployment happens in only two steps: get out, deploy.
              Makes for really quick deploying of the weapon linked to fast movement from the vehicle which could create some interesting tactics...

The kill radius of the APERS bounding mine is HUGE, 25+ meters i would guesstimate. It also has the largest trigger zone of the AP mines with about 4 meter radius and weighs the same. It is almost as concealed as the standard AP mine. The go to AP mine i'd say, although we never really use those.

Helmets actually protect you, mainly from shrapnel. Keep safe and wear it no matter how much cooler that bandana with flames is.

Comment

Thanks for the keybind tip. With ARMA 3 key complexity these tips are welcome for me...

Comment

I like the double tap key issues you raised Potatonator. Thanks for that! I generally stick with a helmet as I sure wouldn't get rid of it if RL but the only exception is when there is a need to be recognizable as the leader.

As it stands you have to remove your backpack that has the static MG and put the one that has the tripod in it right next to it. You then get the option to set up the static MG. So if you put your backpack down on the ground you can bypass having to set up the second backpack close? I'd say that may be an exploit to pull the tripod right out of the vehicle without accessing the backpack it is supposed to be in inside the vehicle. Not the worse one I've ever heard of but if I saw that done in TvT I'd be crying foul. So, that one gets a frown. I guess you could say you'd put that backpack last in near the door but I can't help but feel you should have to pull it out of the vehicle as you put your hands on it regardless.
                  |TG-189th| Unkl
                  ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                    I generally stick with a helmet as I sure wouldn't get rid of it if RL but the only exception is when there is a need to be recognizable as the leader.

I do the same both as a FTL and as medic so people will recognize where they need to be right away.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Ok, sorry but this made me think and then laugh (at myself). I too keep the helmet most times (I do like the Boonie though), but it begs the question then. . . .

If I'm wearing a helmet that provides protection does that then mean that the EI are getting 300 yard "into my eye" headshots with a single round the first time I poke my head around the corner . . .with iron sights . . . . and a 5.6 . . or even a 6.5 round?? . . . . . seems legit. . . . . LOL

Oh BI how we love to diss you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                        As it stands you have to remove your backpack that has the static MG and put the one that has the tripod in it right next to it. You then get the option to set up the static MG. So if you put your backpack down on the ground you can bypass having to set up the second backpack close? I'd say that may be an exploit to pull the tripod right out of the vehicle without accessing the backpack it is supposed to be in inside the vehicle. Not the worse one I've ever heard of but if I saw that done in TvT I'd be crying foul. So, that one gets a frown. I guess you could say you'd put that backpack last in near the door but I can't help but feel you should have to pull it out of the vehicle as you put your hands on it regardless.
                        Not sure if i understand you correctly but you seem to believe that (without vehicles) both backpacks need to be on the ground for them to be assembled. This is not the case as if you have one piece close on the ground and the other on your back you get the option to deploy.

I did not consider that this may be an exploit. Now that i have i've got a theory on how it works: With one piece on back and also being within range to "take other piece" you instead get option to assemble, i think. You can "take other piece" from vehicles. Add the two together and this quick assembly thing is possible. With that in mind i would say it is an exploit.
                        Last edited by Potatonator; 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X