• open source track IR

Anyone looked into this?
    Home
    "We the unwilling,
    lead by the unknowing,
    have done so much with so little for so long
    we can now do anything with nothing."

Re: open source track IR

I have this. I'm not sure if it's me, my settings, or just the way the software works, but I've had very little success with this. It tracks well enough... actually better than I'd thought, but the way it translates into the game is a bit wonky, and I have it go from too little translation to too much. It's free so it's worth at shot at least. I used it a couple times while flying and when it works, it works great... but I don't think that it would be even comparable to TrackIR.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
    "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Some of you may be interested in this
      Welcome to the FreeTrack website - FreeTrack optical head tracking software

Comment

OK, so with some fiddling (maybe an hour) it is about 70% funtional. Getting the curves set right is a real pain, and you can't be back lit. So far so good. I want to tweak the curves a bit more and then set up a toggle "on/off key", and a "center" key I can actually reach. Then I have to get used to it. Rigth now its ok, I am terrible with it.
        "We the unwilling,
        lead by the unknowing,

Comment

First time I used Track IR (I know we're talking about a "OpenSourceTrack") I was all over the place . . .looking here, moving there, looking ALL over and "over correcting" when I did look . . . don't blame the system too much at the start, once I got use to it I realized that the default settings (in Track IR) were pretty spot on. It takes time to get accustomed to the fact that moving forward and looking either way is just that "looking, not moving". I learned that I can just keep my finger on the "W" key and have amazing situational awareness with my scan and keep moving in perfect column (or whatever formation) with the rest of team.

Once you get use to it though . . . . you'll never want to be without it . . .so be warned, it's addictive.

I drop in to test missions, games, and just to check on things now and then and don't turn mine on . . . real pain to move your head one way or the other . . . . . . . and nothing.

LOL . . . ENJOY . . sounds like you're on your way.

Comment

I am already getting there. BF4 (what I play most of the time with RL friends) is weirdly frustrating now, and basically because I can't look left and right. I have no idea how it will work out in play, but in practice now that I have my input curves dialed WAY down, its awesome. Next up adjusting for looking over/around cover.
            "We the unwilling,
            lead by the unknowing,

Comment

I Did as well.
              I bough the recommended hardware but were not able to get it running properly.
              A lot of users report that it is working for them just fine ater a lot of tweaking but I gave up after a week.

Comment

I can walk you through what I did if you like. It was about 2 hours of tweaking to get to the where I am now. Just guessing but I'd say I am about 85% correctly calibrated for infantry combat, and maybe 65% of the way there for flying. I haven't done multiplayer yet. The three biggest elements for me were; not being back lit (I had to close the shades completely), glasses off to get rid of the lens reflection, and dialing the input curves WAY down. Also figuring out how to set "center screen".
                "We the unwilling,
                lead by the unknowing,

Comment

Thats not the walk through... Google hangout os SKype or some such would be better.
                  "We the unwilling,
                  lead by the unknowing,

Comment

I was pretty darn sucessful with the FaceTrackNoIR, but I could only get it to be stable at night. So I am now using the TrackClipPro with point tracker, and its better. It doesn't loose tracking hardly at all. I thought about building the clip on rig, but I just don't have time. Anyway let me know if you need help with any of it.
                    "We the unwilling,
                    lead by the unknowing,

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed