Iron Sights - the underused non-thing to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Sights - the underused non-thing to use

THIS THREAD made me think, "Maybe there are others out there who like the iron sight missions still".

I like the m16 with no scope. I really love the m249 with no optics. I like the open space and situational awareness that a good set of iron sights lets you have. To be honest, I do get that unsettled feeling when a fire fight starts at a range greater than 200m without the optics. But then most of the time, and for what reason I don't understand why I feel that way, the targets drop with about as much speed as happens when I do have the optic. I think many times the optics are a security blanket. Eye candy that isn't as useful as we seem to presume.

Who else likes a good stripped down virtual gun slingin' game?
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Iron Sights - the underused non-thing to use

I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion. For the mid to close ranges, I've switched to iron sights, and noticed an increase in accuracy as well. All in all I'll gladly participate in an iron sights mission.
    Murray

Comment

At age 73, close range is ok. Distant targets, not so much. I love this game but picking up targets is getting to be a challenge, I do my best to keep up.

Comment

I am definitely interested. Would love to test my skills with at shooting with no optics.
        sigpic

Comment

I've found iron sights to not be too bad at all--definitely willing to try a mission out where we do not have 'em.

I like that you can zero the iron sights.
          "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Chief, I hear ya. There is no law being drafted about it lol. I think you and Zap have earned your TWS.

I got to really noticing it while playing Insurgency. Had to choose other attachments in that game that forced me back to the iron sights and I started doing the same in Arma now & then. I know, I rock the RCO most of the time because of the flexibility of the top sight but I can't stand not being able to zero those AR's. I never worry too much about hitting things as AR anyway. You can only miss so much.
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer
            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
            189th Infantry Brigade Member
            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I must be a special AR operator, cause I CAN miss that much. That said on AR especially I be come to prefer iron sites. scan with range finder, zero, engage. Works like a charm.

I started practicing with iron sites after running a mission as medic were optics were not available. It was quite fun! The MX rifles have great irons, and the Katiba is ok. The Mk20 on the other hand has the worst iron sites I could imagine.

Comment

Long live open top M16's.

With Arma's ability to zoom or focus or what ever, I don't feel like I need / want anything else.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

As I said in that thread, I enjoyed playing with them on occasion, and wouldn't mind doing the odd mission "old school".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X