Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ArmA3 keybnds..overwhelming mass of confusion...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA3 keybnds..overwhelming mass of confusion...

I'm trying to learn how to play (primarily for the time being move , shoot and change out inventory items) but even these "simple" tasks involve an ovewheming array of various keybinds.

I've tried a blank file and assign my own keys but evntually you seem to run out of logical assignments so I gave up on that and went back to the standard assignments.
    How did you learn?
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: ArmA3 keybnds..overwhelming mass of confusion...

Well for me i only changed a very few amount like sprint and that's it and from then it's all about usage and practice to start and remember what to do i still make simple mistakes but most keys make sense where they are M for map G for grenade N for night vision etc.... So for me it just took a bit of time but once you get used to them there not so bad. I know this wasn't some super guide or anything but it's what i did so recommend just play more and learn as you go. Also don't be afraid to ask questions in game like how do you walk? or how to you lower your weapon? this is by far the best way to learn just ask the guys in game and it can help a lot.

Comment

I guess it's just a case of "practice makes perfect" then.

Thanks.
      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

I pretty much stick with defaults as well. What key do you guys use for TS? I cant find one that wont cause me to key TS that doesnt conflict with something in Arma.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

windows key does work for TS in arma but often does not work in other games.
          TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
            I pretty much stick with defaults as well. What key do you guys use for TS? I cant find one that wont cause me to key TS that doesnt conflict with something in Arma.
            the button left of the number 1 can be used if you remove it from the commanding menu "select all members" from options.... I used to use that until I put PTT on my mouse side button instead
            - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Regarding TS: Being a huge nerd... I bought a Logitech keyboard with 6 macro keys down the left hand side. This are my Comms buttons. They are mapped to buttons Arma doesn't use - like [, ], }, etc. then I mapped those keys in Arma to Direct, Group, Vehicle, Command, Side, and TS. Never have to cycle channels. Works great for me.

As to learning keys... I'd suggest starting with defaults because it will make it much easier to ask what button does what when in a game. Once you've played a bit I'm sure you'll find keys you want to move (for me, putting throw grenade well clear of anything else was important).

Comment

Welcome aboard. Hope to see you in game soon.

Sticking with the default key bindings makes sense at least at first because there are so many everytime you remap you are likely to encounter another function you'll need. You'll just need to remap that one too. Over time you'll see some keys you never use can be deleted. The comms trick Novoya mentioned is good. I've mapped direct, group and command channel onto 1, 2 & 3 on my keyboard numpad so I don't have to cycle through the channels. In the heat of a firefight this really helps.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

TS = Right CNTL for me. Then I bound that to a button on my Corsair K95 Mouse - seemed to make the most sense for me and keeps my right hand on the mouse and my left hand trying to move, sprint, lay down or peak around the walls (still working on all that movement stuff - seems a never ending practice for me).

:-)

Solo

Comment

I have an Excel printout of all the default key assignments that will become my `bible` for a while I guess as well as a scratch pad as I change and modify key assignments. I think I`ll hop into the editor for a couple of days and run around trying all the basic`s and get TS up and working. Thanks again for the feed back.Might try and get onto the Vanilla server this week end if for no other reason than to see how the re-spawn system works.:D
                    [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

I use default key bindings with the exception of ingame VON being mouse button 4 and TS mouse button 5. Play around in the learning and single player areas of the game to get comfortable with the controls. They don't beat you too badly for for questions and mistakes in multiplayer here so just jump in there and before you know it you will be squad leading like a pro.

Comment

I have a Logitech G700 mouse which is fully customizable. So I bind all my 'weapon controls' to my mouse. It has 4 thumb buttons and you can also set keybinds to tilting the scroll wheel.

On the thumb buttons I have reload at the upper rear, right under my thumb, fire rate directly below it. Forward I have 'switch to secondary/pistol' and grenade below that. In most fps type games I will run some variation of that. I try to map things logically in a way that makes 'virtual' sense or in some way mimics controls on a weapon.

For example if I'm running attachments then I will have a forward thumb button set to toggle my flashlight on/off, somewhat mimicking where the pressure switch would be on the weapon. My reload and fire selector are on rear thumb buttons as they would be on the receiver in real life. Alternately, dependent on how many controls I need I might map my pistol to tilt scroll wheel left and primary to tilt right, which I manipulate with my 'trigger finger'. This is easy for me to remember and natural as I would obviously relinquish fire control off my primary to swap and I'm kinda reaching across to my pistol. Albeit across my mouse lol.

I appreciate this sounds frighteningly anal and obsessive but its help me with muscle memory over the years plus I am not taking my left hand off the movement keys at any point.

My next little experiment will be to map stance change to the scroll wheel as it has a solid click to it. Hopefully that will allow me to move through stances seamlessly whilst never taking my hand off the movement keys or weapon controls.

Comment

As the others have said, sticking with default to begin with is the way to go; as you become familiar with them you can start changing the little things, but the most used key bindings are already in good places I find.

The only change I have made is that I assigned "Next Channel" for radio comms to my keyboard. Yeah, I gotta cycle through all of the comms in order to get to what I want, but, honestly, it isn't all that bad.

I really need to get a keyboard & mouse with more buttons :(
                          "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I have learned the defaults and changed a few firing specific commands to my mouse.

Practice is the only way to get good at anything.

See you on the battlefield.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X