Fire Team Basics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Team Basics

Watching another TG AAR video I came across this gem about fire team formations from TG University. I've seen it before but I enjoyed it again just a few minutes ago. Great Vid Unk...this is crucial information for both leaders and those being led.

Thanks Again Unk !

sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Fire Team Basics

This is an awesome video, and very well done (explained well and in a 'user friendly' manner).
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

1:20 thank you so much of acknowledging this as a valid tactic. I've met so many people who shy away at putting AR in front in urban areas.
      Last edited by Hummel; 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
        1:20 thank you so much of acknowledging this as a valid tactic. I've met so many people who shy away at putting AR in front in urban areas.
        Gosh, who else is going to suppress 5 windows at once? You do risk getting your AR pinned down though. Many like to put the AR #2 so they can find an optimal shooting position from which to suppress from. It all depends on so many factors it's tricky to make the call sometimes.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Absolutely, very much situation dependent and having one of your fire support elements pinned down is far from ideal and could potentially reduce your ability to manoeuvre.

Again it is very situational but from a personal perspective I would always rather have any fire support elements prioritising getting into a position or place in the stack (as it were) that meant they can provide suppressing fire to facilitate the whole squads movement as opposed to going point and acting a 'room broom'. LMG's are terrible for clearing small areas as they rely in automatic fire and are unwieldy. If you're running point with an LMG, even something as relatively compact as a Para Saw you are by and large a hindrance in an urban environment. You are going to encounter small areas you will need to clear to proceed, even if it isn't your intent to occupy that position. Carrying a 100/200 round bullet hose whose primary strength is volume of fire and area suppression isn't going to instil any confidence in the no 2 man in your stack when he has to move past you in a 10m sq courtyard. He's probably praying the squad doesn't make contact so he isn't trapped in a bucket with his own body weight of brass flying about in all directions.

For me, particularly outside of urban terrain fire support/base of fire type elements need to be 'first in position and last to move' prior to and during contact. I also try and spread my LMG's out obviously so that when engaging another squad in say a parallel ambush the LMG's can bracket the first and last man and then work into the middle, whilst the riflemen switch to precision fire on entrenched targets that present a threat by virtue of aimed accurate fire.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely merit in being able to bring such a massive volume of fire to bear on a contact front (by running AR as point) but as stated it's situational and not without it's downsides.

Really great video.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X