Quick Tactical Tips for Insurgency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Tactical Tips for Insurgency

The idea for this thread is to post quick, singular, Tactical Tips for the Insurgency server. Post your tip, if you have more, create a new post.

1) The military has uniforms for a reason. Pick the same appearance/cosmetic loadout as your squad/team mates. Don't select the natty boonie hat "because it's just so dreamy". You endanger yourself and your team mates by complicating a shoot/no shoot scenario. Looks the same don't shoot, looks different... Light it up.

Play smart, play dress up on your own time.

Re: Quick Tactical Tips for Insurgency

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
    The idea for this thread is to post quick, singular, Tactical Tips for the Insurgency server. Post your tip, if you have more, create a new post.

1) The military has uniforms for a reason. Pick the same appearance/cosmetic loadout as your squad/team mates. Don't select the natty boonie hat "because it's just so dreamy". You endanger yourself and your team mates by complicating a shoot/no shoot scenario. Looks the same don't shoot, looks different... Light it up.

Play smart, play dress up on your own time.
    By my understanding, the Insurgency server is a place for newer players to adapt to realism play style. I think it's more important to teach FNGs to PID their targets before pulling the trigger. Part of this is learning how to analyze -- Is this person behaving like an AI or a player? Is he facing me i.e. an immediate threat? What is this person wearing?

Also, I would argue that matching dresses is more dress up than what goes on currently.

As for my advice: For ARs, when you want to establish or regain fire superiority in a fight, obviously it's ideal to switch to long bursts. The most efficient way to do this (as I was taught) is to say "Die, fuzzy bunny, die" in your head during the burst.

P.S. If you have a squad automatic weapon and you're not returning fire when your teammates are getting shot at, you're wrong. Just wrong. It doesn't matter if you can't see, or the grass is in your face, or you're on your period. You're there to be the intimidation factor in a fight. You'd better be going nuts with suppressing fire so your teammates can establish the direction of fire and retaliate. I'm so sick of seeing ARs cowering in defilade when they're often the last chance for a fire team to survive in a fight. Put in your tampons and

start.

shooting.

Comment

Unfortunately youve missed the point. Picking something other than default is dress up and a vanity choice by nature.

The deliberate choice of something that makes you look more like an enemy than an ally is poor and puts other players at risk in close quarters situations. The enemy ai knows your enemy instantly, a friendly has to PID each target. That friendly shouldnt have his job made harder because someone just has to wear a baseball cap that makes them look different. That extra split second pause gets people killed repeatedly.

That's dress up, that's poor decision making.

The Insurgency server, like all TG servers, is also about teaching people to play smart and in a teamwork focused way.

Comment

When fighting the insurgents, everyone wearing a combat helm does, unquestionable, speed up Friend or Foe decisions. Especially at night.

That said, there are none vanity reasons to use different hats/helmets. I've found a variety of helmets and hats to benefit me knowing where my fire team is in a larger squad (I'm following a guy with a cap, or the medic has a boonie hat on, etc). I routinely wear the Military Cap when acting as SL so I can be easily ID'd by friendlies on the battlefield. The difference of course most those fights were against CSAT and AAF forces, who have the decency to wear distinct helmets of their own - which changes the issue dramatically.

Comment

"Which changes the issue dramatically" ergo it's not relevant to this scenario.

Its ok when fighting a conventional force with a distinguishable uniform to select headgear as a means to identify within the Squad. It's a problem when its purely a fashion choice and makes it harder to distinguish friend or foe. That's the point, one that I didn't expect to be hard to grasp lol.

Comment

+ Maintain a 360* perimeter at all times; the AI is in the habit of finding your blindside and exploiting the hell out of it.
            "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I only got to play a little bit last night but did take too long in identifying targets as being friend or foe. It was a night mission and the enemy were coming in on a rear flank. I know there are some of our medics that are used to fighting CSAT and then wearing a boonie hat to make them distinguishable on the battlefield. However, it's a pretty solid point that fighting insurgents requires a change in response. Great tip Wicks.

Now how about another tip? Your squad lead can pull more than one Hunter from the MHQ. As long as each vehicle never gets further than 2km from the squad lead that pulled it, it will not be deleted. As long as someone is in the vehicle it will not be deleted. Use these vehicles to keep your MHQ far back from any engagement areas. If you are over 2km away from your leader (why unless your leader was forced to respawn) do not get out as the vehicle will be deleted as soon as you do. It's a minor nuisance that keeps object clutter down on the server and FPS up!

As a general rule, I choose to keep the MHQ at least 700m from any contested grid.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Good points on the Boonie hat, especially in light of the appearance of the insurgents. The boonie hat for me was never a fashion choice but a means of distinguishing myself to my squad mates. Sometimes I'm leading either a fire team or a small squad. I would always steer clear of the bandana and belaclava just to avoid being shot by friendlies. I didn't see that the Boonie hat fell into that category but now I'm hearing that it does.

Anyways...after Wicks brought it up I I went in and changed my load out to include a combat helmet and am forgoing the boonie hat going forward...

One thing I'd like to see more of is coordinated attacks on a target from different fire teams/squads from different vectors. We do see a lot of fire team action but I like the idea two forces coming in from two different directions. Squad A attack from the North Squad B attack from the West. We'll meet at the intersection at the MSR...etc.

One thing that has worked very well when the server is more populated is breaking up the squads into their own group channels with an overall command element communicating on command channel. This does a tremendous job keeping the comms clear and really enhances the overall experience. Of course having this many on is a good problem to have anyways.

Make sure squad members are kitted out commensurate with their role. I know I've been guilty of this in the past...Medic carrying AT or a LMG etc...I've been as guilty as anyone at times for carrying weapons not suited for say the role of the medic, or the squad leader. The other day I saw Experiment in combat with a pistol. He was platoon command and I just thought this was a great fit for the role.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                  Unfortunately youve missed the point. Picking something other than default is dress up and a vanity choice by nature.

The deliberate choice of something that makes you look more like an enemy than an ally is poor and puts other players at risk in close quarters situations. The enemy ai knows your enemy instantly, a friendly has to PID each target. That friendly shouldnt have his job made harder because someone just has to wear a baseball cap that makes them look different. That extra split second pause gets people killed repeatedly.

That's dress up, that's poor decision making.

The Insurgency server, like all TG servers, is also about teaching people to play smart and in a teamwork focused way.
                  If it's an issue of differing combat helmets, I really, seriously doubt there's an issue. Even if someone chooses to wear a baseball cap / boonie hat -- there are other visual queues that are blatantly obvious. For example, the default uniform we all enter with. All four of them are easily distinguishable from enemy insurgents (and AAF/CSAT if we were playing against them).

The only way I'd understand this is if there were people wearing civvy clothes and turbans and carrying around non-reg weapons, which I thankfully haven't seen.

P.S. On that note, I think it'd be pretty cool if you could kill an AI, take their clothes, and blend into their ranks i.e. they don't shoot at you because they assume you're friendly. Not sure how useful that'd be, but hey, it'd make you feel like a SEAL operative
                  Last edited by Hummel; 07-21-2015, 11:53 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

I've got one,

I see this happen a lot and it tends to end with a lot of people getting TK'ed, on the insurgency server a lot of people tend to run with the thermal scopes as well as a lot of hunter HMG being used, what i tend to see is a lot of people only looking in the thermal and then just firing at the target without switching back to standard scope this tends to result in a lot of blue on blue, so i find it good practice to look in thermal but before shooting double check in standard to Identify your target.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| Connor View Post
                      I've got one,

I see this happen a lot and it tends to end with a lot of people getting TK'ed, on the insurgency server a lot of people tend to run with the thermal scopes as well as a lot of hunter HMG being used, what i tend to see is a lot of people only looking in the thermal and then just firing at the target without switching back to standard scope this tends to result in a lot of blue on blue, so i find it good practice to look in thermal but before shooting double check in standard to Identify your target.

Thanks,
                      I feel this is heavily directed at me. I'll have you know, sir, that I always PID my targets when gunning unless SOMEONE yells into my ear "ENEMIES A 065 ZOMG KILL IT" which tends to make me think they're high priority and need to die lest an RPG violates us.
                      Last edited by Hummel; 07-21-2015, 01:46 PM. Reason: disrespect

Comment

Hummel, sorry you can't see it, doesn't make it any less of an issue. Anything you select uniform wise that causes a delay in PID is a poor choice, a selfish choice, as it only affects the people around not the individual who just has to look different.

2 of the 4 S's for you, shape and silhouette. If one squad member rounds a corner in a low light/nvg scenario and runs into Mr Individual dresser who has decided to go with shirt sleeves and a basebal cap as opposed to the same gear as everyone else in the squad. A set up fairly similar to the Insurgent outfit then the squad member has to pause and extend his PID period. The next Insurgent he runs into won't have that hindrance. It's that simple, end of.

Comment

k

Comment

Hummel you owe the thread a tip now:row__523:

I'm sure you have some SOP you use regularly or knowledge you could share that would be of benefit.

A few short ones from me.

Don't forget your 'lazors' on lowlight ops. Great for pointing out targets, firing from the low ready and also id'ing yourself as friendly.

Don't forget a suppressor for lowlight ops either! Great for not blinding yourself with muzzle flash when wearing NVG's.

Want the boom of a grenade but can't afford the extra weight? Always wanted to sling a grenade like a major league pitcher? The RGN grenade is your friend. Half the weight of it's fatty brother the RGO, the RGN is the grenade that fits in your pocket and can be thrown clear over a row of houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Myself
                              As for my advice: For ARs, when you want to establish or regain fire superiority in a fight, obviously it's ideal to switch to long bursts. The most efficient way to do this (as I was taught) is to say "Die, fuzzy bunny, die" in your head during the burst.
                              I added more directly under that, but oh well

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X