An evening with Experiment626

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An evening with Experiment626

Just some ramblings on ArmA I thought I would throw out there. They don't really apply to a particular thread so, here you go...

40mm uselss in Bornholm, while dead, I personally observed hits amongst a group of 4, with a group spread of less than 10m, 3 rounds landed amongst them, no effect. 4th landed at MG feet he reacted by chucking smoke grenade, spouted a political epitaph, and cut down Noyava. Bornholm was not the first incident, only the most blatant wrong with the physics system. I have noticed this several times with insurgency and other mods we have played.

Smoke. I have seen no evidence in ANY game that it hampers the a.i. in ANY fashion. It does a bang up job of preventing us from returning effective fire! If you believe differently, prove it. Show me code, hard indisputable proof. This crap about them being less effective if you place smoke before moving, or them being degraded but able to shoot through smoke if they knew you were there....

I have documented three times were I have been one shot, through smoke. There is NO, difference in accuracy. I will no longer carry smoke for other than LZ purposes and would recommend medics do same. Save your weight, people.

Weight loads, the system is excellent! I cannot carry a combat load of AR 100rnd vest loadou, PCML and 2 rockets, grenades, NOD, etc... and not suck wind steping out of Hunter! I have since taken to standard combat load of 210 rnds, 2 rgn, 1 red 1 green smoke, fak. Strip the tacticool shades, NOD if not needed, light armor rig (not going to matter with their accuracy anyways), a assault pack, empty....yes EMPTY. This is so you can just swap for medic bag on battlefield and be done. No farting around with heavy medikit, dropping inventory items, sorting out yourself afterwards. "But I need the ammo, and UAV, and MRE, and three different scopes, and.... blah, blah, blah"
    1. Everybody dies, leaders most of all, AI senses it with their elite MLGPro mitichlorians, you will not live long enough to expend 210 plus rounds of rifle, 500 rnds AR/ LMG, 3 PCML rockets, etc....if you do, there is something wrong with your fire discipline. Maybe a case made for AR/ LMG, but that is what assistant AR is for!

2. You can haul a$$! You will pass every PT test and marathon you run in your career. Speed is life! Nike MK 1 for the win. Speed gets you into the fight fast, away from the fight fast, to that wounded soldier fast, to the AR screaming for more ammo, guess what, FAST! Clear cities, fast, cover distances between objectives (more trigger time, less marching time) fast. Performance in bed with your significant other...well, ok, you got me there. Nobody in a squad wants to be waiting on a slow member. There is more than enough Hurry Up and Wait in the game as is.

3. It is your leaders job to plan for the mission. You bounce a good size objective, better plan for resting and refueling afterwards. Die? Don't forget to top off loadout before TP by flagpole or riding quad out. Bringing a quad, hunter, air transport. There is default ammo loadout on Hunter and above. Throw some more if mission calls for it, again leader foresight, not squadie pack mules. I want Arabian Stalions, not 6 mules for sister Sarah.

Leadership, or how I learn to stop worrying about myself and care for others! To some, taking leadership; not fun, scary, too many details, boring, demanding, rewarding metaphysically speaking, [email protected]$$, etc... yes, to all above. Like anything else, it is what you make it. I do it because I hate waiting for someone to step up, let's role! Remember the hurry up and wait above? New guys to TG do not want to sit around and discuss logistics, wp, LZ, etc...they want some trigger time, they want some squad cohesion, some team work play. I say get them in, get them hooked and straighten them out later. We can determine pretty quick who will fit in TG, who needs a bit of work, and who is going to wind up on UNKLE or CONNER's ban docket.

Leadership style? Hmmm.. How do you do it Experiment626? How do I know what to order? How do I plan a route? What orders do I give? I got nothing. I'm ex military, private contractor, law enforcement, blah blah blah...Attended leadership courses, real world combat, been shot, been fragged, seen others die and did what needed doing. I know this is game, but stuff bleeds over. Best teacher, experience. The more you step up and try and lead, the better and easier it will get, like in all things. I try and bring some real world into sim, sometimes it works, sometimes (ok most of time, it don't) it doesn't. It is just a game and not IRL. Allowances must be made. This does hold true, even for games though...practice, practice, and more practice. In ArmA you get the luxury of respawn, IRL, not so much :( Take a risk, step up, take the mission!

Wall of text, I forgot all I was going to write. Save it for another Evening with XP...cue theme music, fade to black.

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Re: An evening with Experiment626

Great post, cleaning coffee of my shirt now thanks. Thumbs up!

Comment

Smoke works. http://youtu.be/elgkUBcanAw

Load up Zues in the editor and try it yourself! The thing people forget though is that smoke isn't: 1. Bullet proof
      2. 100% coverage from ALL angles.

It's the same with plants and trees :)

Comment

Good read,

Leadership

I don't lead on the Squad level often enough. I love the easy management of the 3 or 4 person fire team. We have such good leaders stepping up most times I think this limits volunteers. People like being led by you guys and as long as you aren't reticent to take the reigns I think players we'll continue to be gratefully led. I don't think a single one of us feels anyone is overly bossy or arrogant in any way. Quite the opposite in fact. That's one of the great facets of those who lead the most. Thank you for that.

Maybe for some of our Tactical Tuesdays we could focus on developing new leaders by the way we mange the event. In the write up emphasize a plan that asks for players who need or want leadership development to step up or take turns during the evening. We could support this effort by tasking those with leadership experience to act as 2IC and solid FT leaders. Good NCO's and a solid 2IC will ensure a good experience. Taking the concept a little bit further we could also provide a plan for the mission instead of tasking the new leader to devise it himself. In other words a bit of a template and we slide the new leader into the top spot while the rest of the machine performs in the usual TG manner. The player count should be high enough to ensure a full and complete squad. This might generate interest in a TGU event devoted to ARMA Squad or Platoon leadership I'm betting we have content on that already.

Supply and gear Issues

I think AT and AR still need to hump gear based on their roles. But your point on speed is well taken and can be mitigated by orders to the squad to carry one box of MG ammo or one rocket. Make it a squad priority rather than an individual soldier priority.. The loads then are spread out evenly and less likely to greatly affect overall squad speed or stamina.

Your comment about loading gear into vehicles is right on. In Enemy Assault I've been loading up empty trucks with all kinds of gear including a base tent, uav bags, mortar set up, autonomous gmg and hmg and assorted magazines and MG boxes. The idea is to have a FOB capable of supporting that whole lighter is better approach. (I've since learned to empty the truck and cache the ammo so it wont disappear when the truck respawns).

Looking forward to the next post.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

And to strengten the argument which I like the most here...

Light - 20%
          Heavy - 84%
          Both these would die from one shot to the head by a 5.56 at even up to 800m away

I also agree partially on the 40mm. 40mm's are normally almost too effective but in bornholm something was just off with the CSAT modification or whatever made it different

Edit: An ideal loadout according to me in a rifle squad
          Medium - 36%
          +4% for helmet, -5% for unarmored chest rig
          Last edited by Xorilliz; 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM.
          - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Leadership: You will rarely get people stepping up and trying out leadership roles when the admins and other TG members of the server let other players, who did not step up, criticize every last thing a SL and FTL does.

"We are going to go to point A using these assets" - New leader
            "How about I fly a gunship!" "I dont think we should do that" "This is a bad plan" "We should do this instead"- Peanut gallery of PUGs and TG members-> This issue has gotten terrible here at TG. We can make tons of examples like this because I know everyone who posts on this server has seen it.

I am all about constructive criticism but hold it until the end... not when your ftl gets wiped out and you are frustrated on the ground while blue forces just run by you and let your timer run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
              Leadership: You will rarely get people stepping up and trying out leadership roles when the admins and other TG members of the server let other players, who did not step up, criticize every last thing a SL and FTL does.

"How about I fly a gunship!" "I dont think we should do that" "This is a bad plan" "We should do this instead"- Peanut gallery of PUGs and TG members-> This issue has gotten terrible here at TG. We can make tons of examples like this because I know everyone who posts on this server has seen it.

I am all about constructive criticism but hold it until the end... not when your ftl gets wiped out and you are frustrated on the ground while blue forces just run by you and let your timer run out.
              Can you expand on this a little bit. I'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at. TG guys letting newcomers criticize when the plan fails or existing TG ers doing the same for new guys leading.

I've seen debrief sessions where we talk about what went wrong but these fall far short of criticism, unless I'm missing something.

My mantra is let the leaders lead and this is what I say when I hear my own ft members or other squad members chirping away about how x is a better plan than y...
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Watched and that is NOT how our server is set up! Something is different. Especially from the last half of the video on. They never cease fire just because they lost contact behind a smoke screen. You sit behind a smokescreen on our server for that length of time, you will be nailed. Is the ACTUAL and FIELD OF FIRE (RED) lines part of Zeus? Admittedly, not familiar with Zeus. Can we in turn use it on Insurgency server and test same situations? The probabilities (if that is what they are) way off. I can run statistics and their mean average is far higher on our server based on just "one shots" I have noticed. I cannot be the only one who has noticed this?!?!! If I am, I will shut up.

*forgot reply with quote button* :)

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post

Please provide examples! Call us out if we do it. You are right, that when an order is given, we need to follow it. There will probably be some good nature ribbing about new lieutenants not knowing what the hell they are doing, but I have never seen a TG guy knit pick an order like I think you are inferring. I have witnessed Trace, non native English speaker step up, give it a go, not get very far and have someone step in and ASK if they want them to take over. At least he gave it a try, but the group got large very quickly, and I felt he was intimidated. I personally would have liked to seen him stick with it, kind of sink or swim mentality there I guess. He would have learned a lot! Maybe I do not understand your post quite right though, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by experiment626 View Post
                    Watched and that is NOT how our server is set up! Something is different. Especially from the last half of the video on. They never cease fire just because they lost contact behind a smoke screen. You sit behind a smokescreen on our server for that length of time, you will be nailed. Is the ACTUAL and FIELD OF FIRE (RED) lines part of Zeus? Admittedly, not familiar with Zeus. Can we in turn use it on Insurgency server and test same situations? The probabilities (if that is what they are) way off. I can run statistics and their mean average is far higher on our server based on just "one shots" I have noticed. I cannot be the only one who has noticed this?!?!! If I am, I will shut up.

*forgot reply with quote button* :)
                    The guy in the video is using some mod(s) to make fields of vision, AI "awareness" markers (actual, predicted) and rounds fired trace lines visible. That's not native to Zues. What you can do in Zues is drop a smoke field then put AI on the other side and see them NOT react to you until the smoke clears. Wind factors do make a HUGE difference, and it's been awhile since i played on insurgency server - it might be set to high wind.

As to the "one shot" through smoke/grass/trees/walls/teammates/etc phenomenon - I believe confirmation bias is the culprit. You don't care about or notice the rounds that DON'T kill you, only the one that hits. It's like how your car keys are *always* in the last place you look (cause only a moron would keep looking....). On the mission Tuesday there was some severe variance of skill levels in the AI that MCCs automated system populated the map with. There were times where I was able to engage 2 enemy while standing in the open and I had time to hit each one the required 4-5 times before they managed to hit me. Then there was the dreaded "marksman in the garage " who killed 7 of us with 7 rounds fired.

Comment

Originally posted by experiment626 View Post
                      Please provide examples! Call us out if we do it. You are right, that when an order is given, we need to follow it. There will probably be some good nature ribbing about new lieutenants not knowing what the hell they are doing, but I have never seen a TG guy knit pick an order like I think you are inferring. I have witnessed Trace, non native English speaker step up, give it a go, not get very far and have someone step in and ASK if they want them to take over. At least he gave it a try, but the group got large very quickly, and I felt he was intimidated. I personally would have liked to seen him stick with it, kind of sink or swim mentality there I guess. He would have learned a lot! Maybe I do not understand your post quite right though, sorry.
                      That was exactly what happened that day, the group got large quite quickly and I did not had the confidence to lead, but as far as the leaders giving me the chance to lead and also giving me advice how to make a plan, I can do nothing but thank them for their patience. And when I froze up, B was more than polite and only offered to take the lead back.
                      All I can say is that the experience encouraged me to practice leading more, but with a smaller group.
                      Last edited by MPL TRACE; 09-17-2015, 08:41 PM.
                      |MPL TRACE|

Comment

Well it looks like there was a known bug affecting AI behavior in relation to Smoke when running a Dedicated Server. The new 1.52 update that just went to release candidate status inlcudes a fixed described as:

Fixed: AI versus smoke versus Dedicated Servers

(https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/18.../#entry2910797)

If the bug was only affecting dedicated servers - than all my test scenarios, which were run on my local machine, would have been invalid. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go throw more smoke grenades at things...

Comment

Not going to say it.....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed