Crewman practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crewman practice

I'm not looking to train everyone using tanks, I'd never do that. I'm looking for people who enjoys being a crewman, not someone who volunteers

What I am looking for is some or someone to jump into the server at any point during the day. This is to get to know each other and practice our personal efficiency in a tank but also talking about ways how we would complement this by working with other units to move around the battlefield safely. Infantry will always rely on the crewmen to know what to do to keep everyone alive, not the other way around
    I think this role requires a lot of trust in each other and that we have to know what each of us thinks so we have a common goal on how to survive. Survival usually goes before supporting other units because if we just roll out there to kill the enemy and assist, we will have our eyes on an AT round coming our way soon enough.
    I would be willing to teach what I know and go from there which would include hull/turret down, what to think about when we are inside and outside of urban areas, where to locate when lacking specific orders from a commander, target priorities, etc.

who's up for this? just add me on Steam and maybe we can try enemy assault with just a main battle tank and/or AAA vehicle, or an APC as we improve and play with more people. Gunner and Commander will always need a microphone for this but I can make an exception on the driver seat. As for myself, personal preference has and always will be Gunner but can do Commander and Driver too if needed. My personal experience consists of around say 500 hours in tanks and APC's in ArmA 2 & 3 and I can tell that we can make it work if we want to learn it, but we can't hope to good at it the first time, or the second or the third...

Looking forward to your answers but am not expecting to see anyone who wants to do this ;)
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Re: Crewman practice

I'd be down for this. Love playing as a good crew. It's such a challenge to maintain discipline, good hull down positioning. I've always wanted to set up a mission where you just have an insane amount of enemy AI with AT at the ready. The objective would be just to learn to last longer than 30mins in that environment. Not by just using distance from an AO but by learning how to effectively use terrain and obstacles to mask your movements and position. How to use line of sight to divide and defeat the enemy. How to get into a rhythm with a 3 man team to effectively communicate and move. How to coordinate peek and shoot maneuvers so you get effective fire on enemy positions.

It's not easy at all. I'm surprised there are no takers on this challenge yet. I'd be in anytime I can game and am not leading.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Here is a list of theoretical parts I would go through if a pre-session practice were to happen, which should take less than an hour with little practical practice:

Factions/Vehicles:
      Five types: MBT, Cannon/ATGM APC/IFV, Small RCWS APC, AAA, Artillery
      Faction differences

Preparation:
      Weapon systems
      Smoke launchers
      Turret locations
      Turret elevations
      Hatches

OOB (Out Of Battle):
      Map localization/navigation
      Hull/Turret down
      Jockey left/right
      Cover and Concealment
      Area of effectiveness
      Scanning priorities
      Peek and Shoot/Pie the Corner

In Battle:
      Target priorities
      Scanning priorities
      Orders/Comms

Remember that you're not signing up permanently, feel free to try this out and see what it's like, then you can continue or quit when ever you feel like it, I will even accept short 15 minute introductions both when the server is and is not in a session
      Last edited by Xorilliz; 09-22-2015, 12:05 AM. Reason: added Peek

sigpic

Comment

I'm all for this. I just saw the thread now. One of the things that make ARMA great is the crew served weapons. It's easy enough to jump in and roar off singly as driver/gunner/commander but crewing a vehicle with all three roles is the right way to go.

I've been playing with the Scorchor in game a bit and I love the idea of laser guided munitions. Pair this up with an effective UAV operator and what a combo that is.

I never mind drivng, gunning is hella fun but I'd like to play and learn the commander role more as we move into this area.

I'll look for you tonight.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
          I'll look for you tonight.
          Tonight it is! if we end up being online at the same time that is... you know my terrible european time zone, I might get on just after 0030Z or 2030 EDT if I manage to wake up early.

in-session we'll go with one full crew so we don't skip things... maybe two crews if someone else would be TC (Tank Commander) but I doubt we'll get that many anyway.
          out of session with just crewman practice I'll take any numbers

sigpic

Comment

Plan to see me as well. I had a lot of fun last night in the marshal with iantron (I believe I spelled his name correctly) as my gunner. Although I was just the driver, I still enjoyed calling out targets that were front side as well as having to position the vehicle so that my gunner could get a clear shot. Sadly, everyone started to leave and there were only four of us left with you, Xorilliz, being afk. I felt bad disconnecting and leaving you hanging, but we took a 3rd rpg round which knocked the marshal out of commission forcing us to bail out into which we were mowed down by small arms fire. I am not too familiar with the ground vehicles in arma 3, but I know the basics and am a fast learner. I'm looking forward to learning from your vast knowledge.
            sigpic
            Pro Deo et Patria
            (For God and Country)

Comment

Originally posted by MrCherubim View Post
              I'm looking forward to learning from your vast knowledge.
              Ha, hardly... I have game experience maybe but not much knowledge, I bet we'll see someone more knowledged in this. I'm only taking the initiative to get this role into our missions, after all... Practice beats Knowledge.

Looking forward to seeing you on the field if the number of slots permits.

if anyone jumps on early and decides enemy assault is the way to go... make it NATO version please, that or especially AAF would be easiest to crew with. CSAT tanks are by far different...

sigpic

Comment

I should be around during that time frame and have always had a liking for Tanks and getting a solid crew going so I should be out there with you guys looking forward to it.

Comment

Count me in too Xor. My time is a bit more flexible than most even thought I am GMT-8 (Pacific Time).
                  sigpic

Canadjun, eh?

Comment

I did my first one-hour walkthrough tonight mostly in theory, I bet you will make excellent crewmen [MENTION=134134]MrCherubim[/MENTION] and Zera! there were also one or two more who were with us in the very beginning going through the different vehicles. I hope it was useful, I of course can't tell myself if it was. Happy tank hunting out there.

something that stuck out: we had some in depth practice on the AAA vehicle in particular taking down that jet, now we won't have to worry about jets destroying our base again! ;) thanks again for attending and I'd love to hear input
                    Last edited by Xorilliz; 09-21-2015, 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling

sigpic

Comment

I certainly enjoyed it. Ever since I started playing with TG I thought it would be nice to have a little training session to get on the same page with everyone. With a game that can be a bit complex such as arma, I'm glad you took the time teach us about the crewman role and using ground vehicles efficiently. Thanks again [mention]Xorilliz for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.
                      sigpic
                      Pro Deo et Patria
                      (For God and Country)

Comment

Ahhh...I crapped out early last night. I saw you come on but I was dead tired and had an early meeting at work today. Sorry I missed it.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                          Ahhh...I crapped out early last night. I saw you come on but I was dead tired and had an early meeting at work today. Sorry I missed it.
                          no worries, there will be more times for this... plus, this was my first time, I missed a lot of things and had a bad introduction so material will change, that's a good thing.

I might get another one going at friday and/or saturday at 2000Z / 1600 EDT, until then anyone can ask ingame for me.

sigpic

Comment

I would love to participate in this.

I personally prefer to command, drive, and then gun, in that order.

maybe some combined arms practices would be nice, too.
                            "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X