Grunt AFK time being....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grunt AFK time being....

I experienced an unsolvable BSOD yesterday. I think it's a failed vid card. I've got an RMA out for my EVGA GTX970 but I may go out today and try a replacement. I don't have an alternate card to test my theory. If its not the card then I guess I'll score a new ssd and one by one install apps and games. I was playing COH2, recently purchased through steam. I experienced a single BSOD once while in game the first play session. I reset cpu overclock to derault falues and restarted and it was fine. The next day I played same mission but experienced multiple crashes. One one of the reboots I got a bsod before the windows loading screen could finish. The card had lost two dvi's in the last couple of months and I switched to HDMI so I was going to rma it anyways.

Anyways...I'm on the side for an indeterminate time but probably less than two weeks.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Grunt AFK time being....

Poopy.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

researching deals...pretty excited.

I7 4790 @ Microcenter (Cambridge MA) for $250 USD
      Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB @ Microcenter $69 USE
      8GB Corsair Dominaotor Platinum $90 USD Amazon
      AS Rock Z97 Extreme 6 LGA 1150 Motherboard @ Newegg $109 (after $30 rebate)

I have Win 7 pro and a very nice corsair modular 750 W power supply. With a successful RMA from EVGA this will get me on the curve for at least a little while. Not what I wanted to do but for about $500 it's like a complete new build as long as EVGA takes care of my rma.

The first two are a buy in store only which means about 45 minutes by car up to the big city but those are outstanding deals. I've seen that 4790 for a $100 more in a number of places and the MOBo is listed at amazon for $40 more. Will update as I go but getting antsy even after only a day.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
        The first two are a buy in store only which means about 45 minutes by car up to the big city but those are outstanding deals. I've seen that 4790 for a $100 more in a number of places and the MOBo is listed at amazon for $40 more. Will update as I go but getting antsy even after only a day.
        That is an awesome deal! I grabbed my 4790k last year around this time for $250 from Microcenter. I just got assigned here and there was a store about an hour away and I went without any intent on buying anything. But I couldn't pass up that deal! :)
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DesmoLocke
        Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/desmolocke/profile

Comment

Did it!...

The AS Rock Z97 Extreme 6 was out of stock but I went with the AS Rock Z97 Extreme 4 instead. Only difference is 3.1 USB capability.

Tore down the old rig last night, disassembled the Cooler Master Cosmos, mobo, Corsair modular power supply and assorted hard drives. Disassembled and cleaned all fans and filters and polished every cm inside and out. It'll be a while with MS updates and I decided to redownload all games fresh from steam onto the new HD. It'll take more time but it is worth it in the long run. After the rig is set up I can reinstall the other HD's and configure them for storage, etc.

Using my MS product key was a bitch. I installed, entered key and no go from there. I was on with MS support for an hour. They tried to charge me $40 for a new key but I held my ground as it was only the second time I installed the OS.

So far so good. Blazing fast boot up, like on button push fast. I had SSD's before but the controller wasn't maximized on the ASUS MOBO. No issues like that now with the AS Rock MB and Samsung SSD. The real test lies with GPU and CPU intensive gaming but, knock on wood, all systems go as I type. I hope to be on TG ARMA tomorrow.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

All Systems go with GPU...I'm back on board.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well that was quick :)

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Woot, Grunt is back.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer
                Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                189th Infantry Brigade Member
                SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

ya....i probably should've spent more time trying to diagnose the existing problem instead of building a new rig. Turns out it wasn't the vid card. It had been five years since a cpu mobo upgrade though so I was due.

Now I think it was a windows file that was corrupted by Company of Heroes 2. I was getting BSOD's from the get go with this title. I assumed it was a hardware issue but last night i fired it up on the new rig and bsods started immediately. Really bummed as I really loved the first iteration of that series. Researching now and I see many many posts out there about users experiencing BSOD's with this title. I requested a refund from Steam last night and already got it in my steam account today.

Anyone else have experience with tech issues with COH 2?
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

woah. You can do refunds on Steam? I played Company of Heroes 2 quite a bit until I reached a stage which was difficult enough. The BSOD issue must have been introduced later with a patch. The fact that it persists with a new build convinces me so it is the game. COH2 played fine on my old rig.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X