Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TG ArmA - How can we support our games together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG ArmA - How can we support our games together?

To our TG ArmA community,

We have some tough decisions to make here at the admin level. It appears at first glance that we have more resources being used for ArmA than we have been able to generate supporting funds for. Now, exact numbers are difficult to come by because so many of us love Tactical Gamer for the various gaming meals we can enjoy throughout a players week. So many games to choose from within a community bound together by friendship in a community where respect wins out ...and yes it's on the internet. However, my point is that it's difficult to know how to judge appropriately what we should allocate our current resources towards.

I don't know at the moment what exact choices we will have in front of us in the new year and so I'm asking you to give us your feedback to a few select questions. These will help the admin team decide which narrows we should navigate through so to speak.

Before looking at that kind of problem too closely it serves to have a better understanding of the parameters. How many titles do you enjoy here or are you a die hard Arma fan and will never look back. Hey, it takes all sorts :) But it does have an impact that is the admin team's job to manage our resources within our means and this little bit of info will help steer our choices in the next few weeks.

The answers will be considered private even though they are not of a personal nature. We don't mean to pry and as always if you have something you'd like to share a little more privately the Contact An Admin thread is there for you. Posts you write there can only be read by ArmA Admins and Site Administrators.
    I am a supporting member.
    46.67%
    I support primarily for TG ArmA (no offense meant to other great TG games!!)
    26.67%
    I support by creating events, missions, witty posts, Facebook likes, and quality leadership.
    26.67%
    I don't support. I intend to leave. I keep saying that but just can't help myself.
    0.00%
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: TG ArmA - How can we support our games together?

Oh I forgot to mention....multiple answers are fine. You can check more than one answer where appropriate.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

"I support by creating events, missions, witty posts, Facebook likes, and quality leadership."

Can I check this if only some of these things are true? I never like things on facebook, and my leadership in game can't really be called "quality"...

Comment

Yes Noyava. The idea here is that there is also essential non-monetary support as well.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I used to be the old guy in the Arma forums shouting and shaking his fist, tilting against the windmills in my mind and now mostly just shaking... but still supporting TG.

Comment

I've been with TacticalGamer since 2005 when BF2 was the next big thing. I've been an admin for three different titles and have called TG servers home for titles like BF2, POE, PR, COD, COD2, COD4, ARMA and Squad. I'd say 75% of my time here has been as a supporting member. All good stuff and all will continue on my end as long as TG remains. I let my membership lapsed recently but have just renewed based on Apo's call to action. I won't let it lapse again. I can't stomach the thought of TG not being home base in the future. I've met so many awesome peeps, both men and women and from all over the world. Lets keep it going. If you are reading this and play on the ARMA servers please step up to the plate and throw some support to run the servers and make it all work.

ARMA is a little different than other titles here. We've never needed reserved slots because our player base is so much smaller than other titles like BF4 and Planetside and some others. But it's pretty telling to look at the server expense and to see that the cost of ARMA servers is far higher than say, BF4. We have fewer players and it costs more. That's not a good recipe so...If you've been on the fence--do it. If you've been enjoying the community and you feel like you've found an internet home...AND you are not a supporting member...DO IT...please.

So...How much does it cost to run the TWO ARMA servers? Would we realize a big enough cost savings if we cut it down to one instance. With one of the smallest player bases it seems cutting the second server from the equation is a reasonable choice. Not what I want as I love the flexibility but if it means a significant step towards keeping the doors open and the electricity flowing we should really think about that.

Great Post Unk. Thanks for being such a good Game Officer.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well after 2 full days of having this poll up the results are sitting at:
              • 12 SM
              • 7 primarily for Arma
              • 6 for essential non-monetary community building supports

The first two numbers give us a good idea of what we will be able to support next month and tel me something awesome about our players.

Firstly we will only have one instance of ArmA running very shortly. We do not want to shut down either the Custom Coop Missions instance and neither the Pandora: The Insurgency instance. So we are thinking and brainstorming as a team on how we can integrate the two. The Insurgency has been a massive boon to the community here because of many reasons but primarily the fact that it is instantly good for seeding with just a player or two and good up to 30 players easily. Players simply choose to attack small outposts or big towns. It has the flexibility built in for a wide variety of approaches. The Custom Coop Missions has sooo much great custom content from amazing small timed missions to larger combined ops missions. So much great and challenging content for players to really bite into. I'll get back to you when we test out some ideas on how integrating these into a single instance may work.

Secondly, the amount of Supporting Members who play other titles within the TG community is pretty great. We have a solid core of support for our game and yet a fantastic balance of players who love the variety that exists within this community. A split in these numbers is a healthy indicator in my books.

My last thought is that for those who are unable to find their way to support the financial foundation of providing these services...we need your help in many more ways. Community building takes forum content, events, good leadership, providing an example to new players on following leadership...there are a multitude of ways in which you support the efforts that you may not recognize. For all of that, I thank you for your efforts and participation as well.

The poll is not closed and there will be much more to come. I'll get back after some tests as to what a single instance will look like for the near future.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                My last thought is that for those who are unable to find their way to support the financial foundation of providing these services...we need your help in many more ways. Community building takes forum content, events, good leadership, providing an example to new players on following leadership...there are a multitude of ways in which you support the efforts that you may not recognize. For all of that, I thank you for your efforts and participation as well.
                Great post Unk. I highly encourage everyone to post more on the TG forums. Everywhere, consider TG the community, not just the ArmA sub-forum. I know a lot of you guys and the great work, gameplay and contributions you make. I would love to see that filter into the general TG forums more and of course into other games.

Think of this as an opportunity to rebuild the entire community, and for you all to help influence it. We are working hard to make Squad a success - we have a great admin team already, we have a full server every night. People are already talking about our server outside of these forums and the devs love us. New people are joining TG every day. Lets all be welcoming and open to everyone and invite them along to the community - I know how awesome you guys can be.

Comment

Thanks Jeepo. (FYI for the newer folks, Jeepo was GO of ArmA when I first arrived)

I should add to that previous post that we are not out of the woods yet. We really have just secured an existence here for an A3 instance. We really could use the ability to have two instances running and a really great box to be able to run the dedicated client as well (3 instances of A3). But, we at least have a game server for the immediate future.

For those that don't know, the dedicated client is also called a headless client. It is an instance of A3 that currently runs on the Insurgency server that processes all the bots or AI so that the main server instance isn't bogged down handling all network traffic and generating all AI behavior. It makes Insurgency run as smooth as it does. We will be losing that most likely.
                  |TG-189th| Unkl
                  ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

to be honest i was tempted last night to run my own A3 server and offering you guys use of it but still paid for by me but ill have to speak with unkl and see what funds i have id hate to see arma tg to die but that would be a futer project after i get to NZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkFrodo View Post
                      to be honest i was tempted last night to run my own A3 server and offering you guys use of it but still paid for by me but ill have to speak with unkl and see what funds i have id hate to see arma tg to die but that would be a futer project after i get to NZ
                      Appreciate the thought Frodo. However, there are a host of issues that makes this unworkable. TG assets for ArmA will be hosted from TG funds. It's a matter of ultimate control of the process and reputation...I don't want to write a book about it but could. Even with the best of intentions such a deal can go into difficult waters.

ArmA is not in danger of going away. We just will only have one instance until the recent upswing in players results in more Supporting Memberships. This is looking possible and perhaps likely. Just don't want that to result in our players thinking that it's ok cuz someone else will pay for the services we are using. That will no longer continue.
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

i think one thing ( atleast in my opinion) is how supporting memberships are done reacureing costs are a scarey thing for people with lower income and can more often then not turn people away from it
                        sigpic

Comment

I see your point Frodo, I think that was the idea behind the one time donation option where you can enterm any amount. That was also why I originally held off with membership, and was going to do the yearly, once my bonus came in march. I see how that option caused accounting issues and why is was taken away. As I thought about it however, I realized that for me hanging out with this group was worth a few less gas station coffee's each month.
                          May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
                          -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

oh yeah a totaly agree worth every penny just overdraft fees should it take money when you dont have it can be scary
                            sigpic

Comment

I was squad lead (I know scary thought) of about 12-14, 2 fire teams, alot of new to me faces, tonight on our server playing insurgency. we were clearing the town of Panchori. The whole time I am waiting for my favorite mission to crash since it no longer has a dedicated server. Anywho, it got me thinking, I feel that we should take every opportunity to invite new faces to join our forums and hey maybe if you like our style become a supporting member. The way I did it was once the town was clear we gathered an grabbed a knee, and I simply asked them to join the forum!! Crazy Thought Right!!!

I am fairly new here and I will agree we are a very welcoming community, But I was never asked to join the forums, Never asked to support the community (until the recent outcry for help).

My business is to sell tires and auto/truck service, and in all the sales seminars ect. that I have been to the simplest yet most overlooked thing to increase sales is to simply ASK FOR THE SALE! I think this is an area we can grow on in this community, ask them to join the forums the first time you see them in-game.
                              May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
                              -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...