Classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classes

something i feel needs to be adressed is class loadouts i understand team/section leaders pilots medics ect have some wiggle room as to what guns they choose but i feel that to many AR/Grenadirs are takeing things that really dosent help the team like an ar soldier with a semi 7.6 rifle and to many times it causes problems for everyone else just feellike this needs to be adressed
    sigpic

Re: Classes

I take an AR , as much ammo as I can carry, a big scope and no grenades (cuz I just blow myself up more than anything else). Hopefully I am an asset to my team. I have not played much in the last few months but have not noticed AR gunners carrying anything but an AR except for the one that wanted to carry a heavy MG by himself the other day.

Comment

AR SHOULD have an MG, an a grenadier SHOULD have a GL. The only people with "wiggle" room are the rifles. Even then, I thought it was customary to consult Lead before taking something like a DMR or sniper...

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

....Then what's the problem?

Comment

the problem is when i look down at my squad list and see that i have AR i want to be able to say ok guys i need the AR's to surpress that building while the medic works on the wounded and then it gets surpressed but instead i get people playing AR with a 7.62 semi and without burning through all your ammo very quickly you carnt surpress with thoose dont get me wrong i like some long range action myself and i can put people with the mgs on overwatch with thermals or something so they can have it to but when your clearing towns its no good and its happening more and more this week im not trying to be that guy that nitpicks everything but it would take a load of my mind if i know people are useing guns to there class and experiment the reason i say medics aswell as leaders haveing wiggle room is a medic dosent get much trigger time unfortunetly and atleast while there in my squad i want what little time they get to be with a wepon they enjoy
          sigpic

Comment

Commas.

And if you are a fire team leader or a squad lead it is your job to make sure your men are properly armed. If you happen to recruit someone who states they are an AR but are carrying a rifle then it is also your job to assist them in acquiring the right gear.

I get what you are saying, you are venting your frustrations.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Respectfully disagree on medics carrying standoff weapons. Allow me to elaborate. Now this is tricky in small squads but there is a tactical issue with separating your medics from your core infantry sometimes.

Basically if your medic/s are x distance from your wounded they then have x distance to cross to reach the wounded, with less covering fire/fire support because....wounded squad mates.

Effectively you've created a 'run the gauntlet' scenario for the medic which often leads to them going down as well. Then you really have problems.

Weapon selection/squad make up is a discipline thing and it ultimately falls on the sl to drive that.

In public play as the server is filling up that can be difficult as your numbers change. Hard to build a functioning squad when you have 4 then suddenly you have 12 and discipline/organisation is what you need.

I would suggest simply hitting the reset button squad wise once you reach sufficient numbers to make it workable. Rtb and assign kits and weapons and define roles, actions on contact etc. Then you know who and what you've got and every one is on the same page.

One default behaviour/rule of thumb I've always trie to abide by is to join a squad, announce myself and ask the SL what he needs.

Comment

Lately on the Insurgency mission I've been rolling as a medic kitted out with a 3GL grenade launcher. My approach to combat is dependent on the number of medics actually in the squad. If I'm the only medic I'll go with more smoke rather than more HE. If I'm the only medic I'll typically be 10-40 meters behind the front line troops, keep my head low and maintain fire discipline in order to focus on healing the troops. Generally I'll try to be close to the SL in case he or she goes down

If there is a medic slotted in already I'll go heavy on the HE rounds and fight more aggressively but still with an eye towards maintaining squad health, especially if medic one goes down or we have a mass casualty.

Generally though, and I think this should be the rule of thumb...if you slot in as an auto rifleman, Anti Tank or Anti Air, the player should stick close to the default load out.

Wicks suggestion of resetting the squad when it expands is perfect and in the end it's the SL's job to police weapon selection in the squad. Making a habit of resetting the squad is a good habit to be in.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

When I play Insurgency as squad leader I've generally been lax about loadouts. It seems more sandbox-ish and less of a structured mission, so I don't get after people to carry the exact weapon their Role Selection suggests. Why else do we have all the DMRs, Sniper Rifles,and MMG's available when we DON'T have those roles listed in the selection screen? You want to try out that MK200 and you're willing to be the medic, go for it!

On the topic of medic load outs, what I've been running when I'm medic lately is Carrier Rig Lite (Or Chest Rig if i'm feeling reckless adventurous), Light Combat Helmet, an Assault Pack, Rangefinder, MXC, 6+1 Mags, and all the smoke grenades I fit. That keeps me pretty light and with the smoke I can cover any open ground to get to casualties I need to. I was carrying the Mk20C, which is slightly lighter than the MXC and amazing in close quarters against the unarmored insurgents but then I couldn't share magazines with the team. The Sting and Vermin provide other light weapon options, and are good choices if you know the operation will be in a town. They suffer at long ranges.

Comment

Agreed Noyava, please don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating strict roles or anything like that. Merely highlighting that if that's what you want as SL then you have to work to make it happen. Playing for a bit and then RTB'ng to base to refit would allow for some experimentation with kits for most and then perhaps as SL you could gauge the mood and willingness of the squad to play in a more structured/defined way, if you desire.

As with most things it's about cooperation so making it a suggestion rather than an order can sometimes get your more buy in from your squad in this specific scenario.

Comment

Another work around. Use 556 calibre weapons, instead of the 6.5 of arma. Lighter, faster, and longer.
                      Perhaps we can add more of these into the arsenal?

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

In vanilla arma there are two 5.56 rifle families. The TRG-20, 21 and the MK20s. The MK20s are in the Arsenal on Insirgency. I prefer the TRG, mostly because the iron sites are vastly superior, but that's the primary rifle of the insurgents. I assume that's why that family is absent. The insurgent "marksmen" carry MK20s though.

Comment

The reason the Arsenal has the variety it does is to allow for variation in tactics. If anyone as a leader wants to allow more personal choice in loadouts that is their choice. The idea was to be able to try different approaches. Also wanted to allow for grabbing ammunition for transport to the field.

If you have players who don't know the importance of picking weapons in the service of the team then a restricted role doesn't teach them why it's important. Seemed to me that its players knowing that team balance is important is our goal here. There is a time and a place for restrictions indeed. But engineered controls do not address the behavior or know-how issues. They may kinda mask those issues instead of letting them manifest and then at that point leadership address it.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer
                          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                          189th Infantry Brigade Member
                          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Unkl again.

WTF, I want to spread more Reputation so I can give it away...So fellas post stuff that I can rep you on that is on target.
                            Thank you very much. :)

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                              In vanilla arma there are two 5.56 rifle families. The TRG-20, 21 and the MK20s. The MK20s are in the Arsenal on Insirgency. I prefer the TRG, mostly because the iron sites are vastly superior, but that's the primary rifle of the insurgents. I assume that's why that family is absent. The insurgent "marksmen" carry MK20s though.
                              Next time I get an chance to squad lead, that is what we will carry. Plus some more OCD C2, TDAs.
                              Thanks [MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION], I'll have a look see.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X