Why do I suck at flying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I suck at flying?

I have asked myself this multiple times, expecially while flying with Intelgamer. However, for xmas I purchased myself a joystick. Wow what a difference a joystick makes.

Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else was struggling with pilot skills, I knew it would help but it is night and day.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
    -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Re: Why do I suck at flying?

While some people prefer flying with the keyboard (who knows why), a good joystick makes a huge difference to me piloting in ArmA. Depending on which joystick you've got, take the time to really go through and map not just the basic flight controls, but also buttons for TS3, flares, mini map, landing gear (if needed), etc. Once you get everything setup... practice, practice, practice. All the buttons you mapped on the joystick should become second nature. If you want to take your flight to the next level, invest in a TrackIR kit. In fact it's one of the best things you can do if you enjoy flying. I've spent probably 60% of my arma playing days in the air. To me, it's the best part of the game! :D

Comment

I learned how to fly in Arma (and in every other game) with a keyboard, therefor anything else feels foreign and would require practice from me on my own time, when I don't have 16 guys counting on me NOT to dork up. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and I hate it. Way too stiff. Could I lower the sensitivity? Sure, but how would I look around? I already have a reputation for striking my aft rotor when landing the Huron. It would be worse if I couldn't make fine adjustments to my view angle while having my hands on some basic controls. I don't have the money to spend on Track IR technology.

In the end, I guess it's up to personal preference, although having a joystick can literally give you an advantage because of analogue movement.

Comment

I use a stick and a couple of weeks ago got around to binding the "fire" button on the stick too. Used to have to reach for the mouse to shoot which was the reason I only flew transport. I have a TrackIR but I really gotta get the headset for it so I can use the free look for landings. I turn on the TrackIR very seldom and usually turn it back off again because of the lighting in my room messes it up.

Anyone that can fly well on keyboard and mouse is doing great. Good on ya Hummel. Still haven't gotten much into the advanced flight model yet but thats just cause I'll never have time to practice that much. Still, sounds like a good excuse to fire the the Fly Boiz mission and take some hard knocks trying to fly with it.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I've I'm on my third Logitech 3Dpro so far. I love using them because their cheap and work decently. I used to play a lot of BF1942/BF2 and preferred the keyboard. However, in Arma, I really do prefer using a joystick. which brings me to the best pro tip ever: I discovered how to set the scroll menu to "7,9,11" on my joystick, which is fantastic. I also set the look option to my tophat, which is pretty helpful when landing.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
          "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

I have an old wingman, but I am just as comfortable with the keyboard as I am with the joystick.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Logitech 3dPro for me. I haven't spent time in the advanced flight model but want to.

I used to fly LOTS of transport back in the ARMA / ARMA 2 days but not so much anymore. We have so many good pilots now on a regular basis it's easy to let them do it.

Different but related....I bought FSX over the Christmas break and am having tremendous fun with that. Way more than I thought I would. Half the fun is in figuring out how to use the varying systems like GPS and NAV Radio and the procedures employed for commercial air flight.

But....keyboard is the way to go....
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                Different but related....I bought FSX over the Christmas break and am having tremendous fun with that. Way more than I thought I would. Half the fun is in figuring out how to use the varying systems like GPS and NAV Radio and the procedures employed for commercial air flight.

But....keyboard is the way to go....
                Oh man FSX is really fun. It has a nice balance between realism and hard core flight sim. I just don't have the time to configure and learn to fly in X-Plane. So FSX was perfect. Funny thing about that game. When it first game out in like, what... 2003, MS showed screen caps of it looking AWESOME. But no one could run it looking like that at better than like 4fps. lol But now days... crank up everything! Looks pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
                  I have asked myself this multiple times, expecially while flying with Intelgamer. However, for xmas I purchased myself a joystick. Wow what a difference a joystick makes.

Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else was struggling with pilot skills, I knew it would help but it is night and day.
                  When i first saw the title of this post, my first thought for a reply was, "Because you're not flapping your arms fast enough?" LOL

Comment

I've seen pilots who are awesome with joysticks and others who are awesome with keyboard and mouse. My checklist for good pilots include:
                    No use of auto hover
                    Able to control altitude with more then collective, hint, you can control altitude by pointing nose up and down to gain and bleed altitude.
                    Able to flair at LZ without popping, hint, bleed speed about 1-1.5KM out from LZ so you aren't trying to do it in last second
                    Able to determine good LZs with cover by checking maps
                    Able to determine good approach and exit vectors based on likely enemy locations

Comment

I usually stick to ground combat in ArmA, but when I do fly, I like to use a HOTAS with rudder pedals and a TrackIR. IMO the latter two are a must for precise maneuvers, but a joystick (regular or HOTAS) is a personal preference. I use it because it feels more immersive (I like all the buttons, switches and other little gizmos) but I don't think it gives any advantage over a mouse.

I do most of my flying in single player to practice low level flight and safe landing, although I crash quite a lot, so in an unlikely event that I do fly with other people I tend to use autohover if the LZ is safe. And if the LZ is hot and I crash I can always blame it on enemy fire :P

Originally posted by Unkl
                      I turn on the TrackIR very seldom and usually turn it back off again
                      I'm the complete opposite. I use TrackIR at all times, even on foot and in ground vehicles. Sometimes I start to turn my head while watching ArmA videos on YouTube before I realize I'm not playing :D

Comment

Keyboard pilot here since, OFP. If I used TrackIR. That will be all I need to be Maverick.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

What you need is practice man I use mouse and keyboard, I have a logitech 3D but couldnt get used to it the response with the mouse is faster

Comment

Keyboard for Helicopters, Joystick for Jets. Helicopters with a joystick feel wired to me

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shenanigan View Post
                              Sometimes I start to turn my head while watching ArmA videos on YouTube before I realize I'm not playing :D
                              Man, I really can't watch videos of flight sim or ArmA anymore because it makes me motion sick when I turn my head and the view doesn't change.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                              The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X