Stealth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth

Does the enemy automatically know your a threat? Could I essentially steal one of their uniforms and go behind the lines? I was watching a video earlier from Frodo where he and Xor took a long trip, to the lighthouse and was wondering if you could do that being dressed up like them and then getting a sneak attack in per say.

Re: Stealth

No, you can't pretend to be the enemy by using their uniforms. Of course stealing enemy uniforms can fool your friends into shooting you by mistake!

Comment

Arma should fix that. Would be realistic to fool enemy at least until gunfire. Dreams dreams
      May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
      -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

If it's for particular mission, you could script it using setcaptive or something.

BI probably won't be fixing it either. Designing checks around AI checking a uniform unless that unit has fired is coding nightmare. Also, it's a warcrime under Hague Convention of 1907, Convention 4, Article 23:

Art. 23. In addition to the prohibitions provided by special Conventions, it is especially forbidden:
        <snip>
        (f) To make improper use of a flag of truce, of the national flag or of the military insignia and uniform of the enemy, as well as the distinctive badges of the Geneva Convention;
        https://www.icrc.org/ihl/385ec082b50...6?OpenDocument

Comment

Well you can do so with scripting indeed. You simply join the group of an enemy unit and you become from their side. You could easily script a chance that you are detected if you are exposed for a period of time using knowsAbout. That should work quite nicely but you would have to test and learn how it actually functions.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

ArmA maxim #57:
            Smaller, ninja elements = lesser exposure to being seen.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
              ArmA maxim #57:
              Smaller, ninja elements = lesser exposure to being seen.
              in a game where someone with a ghillie suit being completely prone and still under a bush will be spotted by AI from 50-100m+? :)

Or, 50 guys prone next to each other as close as possible with that same spot range... ugh nope
              - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Example.
                Perfect ambush during insurgency game.
                We set up perfectly, waited for the AI patrol to get within our kill zone. Bam, game over.
                Ask Our newly joined "Mr.Tracking". He will tell you. ;)

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I know that ambushes obviously works very well because you know where the enemy is and because you are usually in ideal terrain. But what about when you move through rough or hilly terrain and you have AI moving in much closer distances?

I found this quote somewhere that I definitely have to try out (The role matters, NOT the clothing itself):

"B_Soldier_F" or your standard NATO rifleman has a camouflage value of 1.4 whereas the Sniper with half ghillie (I guess) or "B_sniper_F" has a camouflage value of 0.6 and finally the new ghillies in the marksman DLC equipped by Sniper (arid) or "B_ghillie_ard_F" has a value of 0.4. (Higher value being dictating a more visible soldier)"

sigpic

Comment

Time to bust out the editor to test camouflage in the live game I guess...

Comment

I particularly remember wearing a soviet uniform a couple of times when on active deployments. wonder if you can use collateral uniforms in said case then?

I never asked questions back then, just shut up and move.
                      Originally posted by TheRabbit View Post
                      If it's for particular mission, you could script it using setcaptive or something.

BI probably won't be fixing it either. Designing checks around AI checking a uniform unless that unit has fired is coding nightmare. Also, it's a warcrime under Hague Convention of 1907, Convention 4, Article 23:

https://www.icrc.org/ihl/385ec082b50...6?OpenDocument

Comment

I'm not an international lawyer but my guess is not a warcrime unless you are trading gunfire with said party. Unless you were doing secret squirrel stuff, I doubt you were trading gunfire with russians.

Comment

International laws are a tough issue because they are more of an agreement, and, for the most part, countries can get away with a lot of stuff unless they lose the war :) Additionally, there are non-state actors (insurgents, rebels, private military contractors etc.) who are not part of that agreement. They can be tried for war crimes if they get caught, but they don't have a government oversight (PMCs do to some extent, but not nearly as much as regular military) so a lot of evidence might just "disappear".

So, in the game, you could use enemy uniforms if you were "the bad guys" or "sort of good guys with a big paycheck".

Comment

seemed to be getting varying results on the ghillie thing but the results are clear anyway (in Safe and Aware mode on the AI):

Last edited by Xorilliz; 01-18-2016, 04:57 AM. Reason: youtube embed

sigpic

Comment

There are many variables which contributes to the AIs behaviours.
                              Their "Modes", Careless, safe, aware, combat.
                              Their skill levels: Zero to max
                              Their rank: private to colonel
                              Their type: soldier, crew, etc.
                              If not implemented, their uniforms, etc.

Best method to not being detected is to use the
                              Terrain, distance, objects (cover not concealment), your stance, speed, blind spots, and at night.

Wearing an OPFOR uniform will get you killed when spotted by an AI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X