Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of mod content do you think would add the most variety while we await Apex?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of mod content do you think would add the most variety while we await Apex?

We are eagerly awaiting the Apex release from Bohemia Interactive for ArmA 3. This is scheduled to come out in August of this year. They have also indicated that there will be no further updates likely until that release after the awesome additions we got last week. We also feel that an injection of some new content besides new missions would be a good idea to tide us over until the release from BIS. With the last bunch of updates to the game launcher included with ArmA 3 and more mod makers coming to utilize the Steam Workshop your admin team feels that the time is right to add some new toys or scenery into the mix.

We don't want to overhaul the entire experience and we don't want to load up so much content that the download size becomes huge. So we are asking you players what you think would be most useful.

On one side we are thinking that new areas to play on and the ALiVE mod would allow us to churn out new content at a fantastic rate. Using the CUP Core and CUP Terrains packs would give us a fully supported version of all previous ArmA terrains. Everyone knows how these terrains behave if you have been around for a few years in ArmA. Lower FPS, and fewer issues than going with new and untested terrains that are often unfinished alpha releases. This would have us up and running with fresh content very quickly. Still, the admin team might still look at alternative terrains.

On the other side we could add new assets like vehicles, weapons and units. This would not be so much a change of scenery but a change in the feel and capability in the field. There are so many options to choose from in this area but your admin team would be looking for something that is well polished and has a history of bug squashing. Some of the contenders are CUP Vehicles, CUP Weapons, CUP Units or perhaps the NIArms series of weapons being used in the upcoming Tactical Tuesday events.

We won't be able to do both a suite of terrains and new objects because the download size can easily approach 10 gig and this can become a burden. We also don't want to fundamentally change the experience. So, we have to choose.

We know that mods can scramble the emotions sometimes so please banter around a few ideas and we may explore a couple options together over the next couple weeks.
    Just weapons, units and vehicles please. I want toys!
    39.29%
    I'd prefer new terrains and more missions with ALiVE thanks!
    50.00%
    Give us a few smaller terrains and one of either weapons, units or vehicles. (post your reasoning).
    10.71%
    Don't want no change. Change sux!
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

|TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: What kind of mod content do you think would add the most variety while we await A

This is just my opinion, and I am not looking to start a multi-page sidebar, but in the sixth year of the second decade of the twenty first century, disc is cheap. Part of ARMA is the understanding that it is a game that was designed to be modified and with mods and extra game content comes the expectation of some amount of disc space. I understand optimization and the need for effeciency, but maybe a poll to see if people don't have at least an extra 10 gigs would be worth mentioning. This is not a plea to ask for giant updates to TG, but I find that to be an assumption. I've talked with plenty of TG'rs who have stated they don't mind the extra space. Yes, dl bandwidth is also an issue, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to find out if the community agrees with the assumption, also considering Steam is picking up the price for hosting the files. As always, I defer* to administration on this topic, but wanted to bring up the space issue.

Disc is cheap. -> http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...ve_Kit_0S03563

*This word was autocorrected on my iphone to "differ", which is what caused the misunderstanding :)
    Last edited by Dimitrius; 04-29-2016, 11:16 AM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Re: What kind of mod content do you think would add the most variety while we await A

I say we get CUP terrain, CUP weapons and CUP Units and CUP vehicles... All the CUP stuff... Once downloaded it adds crazy amount of content. So much stuff that we can develop missions for it with all different types of variety.

One download and then it is there.

Comment

To address Dimitius' original reply, there are many factors to consider when adding mod content.

Its not just disk space for users that limits large downloads. That really is not a concern anymore...you are right about that. There are costly usage fees for some users too. Although that is not really the big concern either.

From an admin standpoint, and as in any kind of system you run, the more variables you change at a time or introduce, the greater the troubleshooting is. The greater the conflicts, the greater the issues that will pop up as mod a updates and breaks mod b. We want a nice small introductory package that we will be able to add to if and as we need. It will run well, be easier to administrate, easier for users to grab quick....

It just makes sense even when if the Apex release is delayed....we still have room to add fresh content to the mix as time goes on.

The administrative decisions here are made with a larger degree of consideration than is often assumed. Still, appreciate the input as always, and lets not assume an us vs them kind of rhetoric as we move through this discussion. This poll is part of how we want you to help us make the right decisions.

*apparently spell check lead to a mis-understanding this am. Dimitrius will hopefully repost his original content
        Last edited by Unkl; 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

To echo @B 's suggestions. I would agree with CUP mods. One large package for our consumption & creativity.
          Oh, I hope the bzzzz is fixed by the developers too.
          Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I am so torn picking between terrains and units/factions.

As a Zues i always want more enemy factions. I love being able to throw the unexpected at the player base (I know that's probably a surprise, but I do!). And all the CUP factions are fully supports in MCC. Having some vehicles that aren't armored thermal death machines would be nice too!

Of course having fought across Altis for nearly 2 years (more many around here) - getting some new locations would be a welcome sight. And the CUP terrians bring in a wide array of maps. Granted some of very small, but they'd fill certain niches.

In the end, I think Units and Vehicles will provide more scenario variety than the CUP terrains pack.

Comment

I reposted my original post, with an explanation of the misunderstanding. Better to be transparent on my end too.

That aside, I like B's suggestion and that was where I was going with it.

If we learned anything from the Bravo Server days, it was that maintaining a multi modded environment, as with all version-dependant software, can be a rodeo. All it takes is for one thing in CBA to update and it takes down the whole modset, more or less.

It is important to recognize that modifications to the environment are different from maps(Which are not without their own issues.

Possibly more later, I'm busy today.
              Last edited by Dimitrius; 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I like the sound of CUP, think it would add the spice back to playing, i must admit i've gotten slightly bored of playing the same missions with the same gear over and over again.

However from my admin experience back in the ArmA2 days, when we (we as in the admin team) introduced mods it caused a whole heap of issues. Some of you may remember them!

We started off with one or two mods, then the list got bigger and bigger. Then before you know it we had our own "mod pack" Then daily requests to add new stuff, Daily requests to remove stuff, daily threads moaning about the addition of one mod and not the other etc etc

This all caused a huge division within the TG Arma community, that resulted a large group of people "leaving TG" and setting up their own server and group. There was also, iirc, Several Site wide bans made by Apophis

Now im not saying this will happen again. But i would err on the side of caution with the addition of mods.

That all being said, adding mods client side, is a whole heap easier than it was back in arma2 days! Praise be Gaben for steam workshop!!

TlDr: I like the idea of adding something new, but would err on the side of caution to not become overloaded with extra content.

Comment

Us neophytes to the inner workings behind the scenes part of gaming, want to turn the key and go with the least amount of work, highest amount of toys, joy and fps.... Give us all you got but make it as easy as possible for us get what is needed to start and keep updated. Because I don't know all that it takes for the proper balance on the server, I have blind faith that those that do will continue. Kudos to all the higher thinkers, tinkers, tacticians and just plain nerds that keep things going here at TG Arma. Just keep doing your magic and I will do my best to keep up.

Comment

I would like the CUP content on altis and stratis with Alive, MELB and carrier mod + customizable 1- and 2-seater F-18s since we all love Aircrafts so much (MELB Mission Enhanced Little Bird will add soo much to that giving even me the urge to copilot)... maybe all the latter is too many mods so I'll just say content. I want them humvees, m249s & stuff.
                    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Ok, somebody voted for option 3 but didn't say which type of content they are thinking of. Kind of a wasted vote [hint hint].
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I'll throw in my massive wall of text. TL;DR: Two things that makes gameplay new. Changes to mechanics of gameplays and new terrain to play on. Weapons and vehicles can add some variety but that quickly sputters out. 5.56 from F2000 (Arma3 AAF weapon) is pretty similar to round M4A1 puts out from RHS in damage and ballistic behavior. Remember, Arma3 changed ballistics to be function of round + gun so guns that use same rounds tend to be extremely similar.

Therefore, CUPS is not end all be all. CUPS weapons are hit and miss in quality department along with vehicles. In fact, I'd go so far to say that CUPS Units/Vehicles/Weapons are completely inferior to quality to RHS pack. CUPS has more variety, RHS has few variety but what is there is nice. Terrain is nice just because of large amount of terrain it adds. However, CUPS terrain has some tiny issues as well is not end all, be all for terrain.

IMO, the mods that really change you from vanilla new to game unit to I'm ready to play some serious Arma3 are mods you haven't even brought up. They are mods that are also tiny to download and work fine with vanilla.

Rabbit's Essential mods and my reasoning why

CBA - It's pre req for any mod

TFAR/ACRE2 - Because VON is awful and ability to build radio nets is beyond awesome. TFAR is easier to use from radio perspective. ACRE2 have much better local chat (when you talk without using your radio) but radio is much bigger hurdle. In any case, trying to squeeze combo of VON + Teamspeak instead of just going with flow is waste of everyone time. Only group I've seen somewhat pull it off is FolkArps and even there, it's pretty bad.

STUI - STUI adds critical information and situational awareness that you would have in real life but don't in game. Seriously, if you haven't played with it before, it's really worth checking out. It also prevents FTL from ripping their hair out because he can color coordinate people and they don't forget it. Also, map gestures make SL/FTL planning really quick and painless.

ACE3 - ACE3 just adds so much to gameplay. To group management system, handling of wounding, recoil, pointing (OMG, YES PLEASE POINTING), climbing, AI system, the list goes on. Some of it is little too serious business but it's easily fixable by deleting PBOs you don't want or disabling via modules/map config file.

That's it, my entire list is ~300MB big. You could host that in Swifty repo on Raspberry Pi.

Few extras I would seriously consider:

AI mod - I've used ASR AI before and it makes AI not sniping gods and more. There are others, it's mainly whatever admin is comfortable with.

ALIVE - ALIVE can make things much easier for mission makers and adds features for players like ammo drops, AI transport and such.

RHS pack - Good variety of content.

Leights OPFOR Pack - Adds a bunch of insurgent factions to play with. ALIVE/Zeus/MCC compatible.

Now to address few things I see in this thread that I want to comment on.

Originally posted by Unkl
                        Using the CUP Core and CUP Terrains packs would give us a fully supported version of all previous ArmA terrains. Everyone knows how these terrains behave if you have been around for a few years in ArmA. Lower FPS, and fewer issues than going with new and untested terrains that are often unfinished alpha releases.
                        CUPS stands for Community Upgrade Project. Keyword being Community. It's not supported any more then other terrains. It's less buggy then some other terrains but it's not end all of be all.

Originally posted by Unkl
                        Still, the admin team might still look at alternative terrains.
                        You should. There is some really good terrains out there from community like Isla Duala.

Originally posted by Dimi
                        it was that maintaining a multi modded environment, as with all version-dependant software, can be a rodeo. All it takes is for one thing in CBA to update and it takes down the whole modset, more or less.
                        It's alot less these days. Most mods are in holding pattern till Apex and even then, BI is getting better at communicating with major mod makers and giving everyone betas so they aren't surprised by updates. It's not 100% fool proof by any stretch of imagination but it's better then Arma2 days. Also Arma3 is starting to reach feature complete so after Apex, most mods will probably enter stage where updates are infrequent.

Originally posted by browna3
                        This all caused a huge division within the TG Arma community, that resulted a large group of people "leaving TG" and setting up their own server and group. There was also, iirc, Several Site wide bans made by Apophis
                        I think Bravo is souring people and causing attitudes that is holding TG back. Future is always messy but it's also filled with exciting possibilities. To quote XKCD as any good IT person does: https://xkcd.com/308/ (Warning language)

Originally posted by browna3
                        Praise be Gaben for steam workshop!!
                        Relying on Arma3 Workshop is bad idea. Two big reasons, first off, there are some great mods that will never get put on workshop for either legal reasons or they don't work with workshop. Second, letting workshop update mods is how you plan on big event, show up for big event and realize some update to mods has completely screwed everything up. Seriously, don't do it. Swifty is much much easier on everyone stress level.

Comment

I actually want to try out two solid teams of TG, on a VERY Small map, taking on each other in a team death-match style. I have tried to create one and I really just don't have the patience, to complete one. and since we are sticking to Von as of late it would make a very interesting game. I'm really happy with our content at the moment but new terrain is always a nice thing.

Comment

Tick me as in favour of both weapon/unit/vehicle content and terrain.

Voted for terrain + alive because I think that's a more important addition for the guys doing the work creating the missions, and the biggest change for players as well.

I'm totally fine with fighting with default units/weapons/vehicles on Chernarus, just get CSAT and NATO a woodland camo mod.

edit: That said, Tanoa will be out this summer (ie. relatively soon, , and will be better than any A2 map I'm sure. Maybe incorporating ACE, staying on altis, and adding a single content mod like RHS Russian Forces would be a better way to go. I don't evny Unkl or whomever is calling the shots.

Comment

I've been tinkering with ALiVE recently and I have awoken my desire to develop again.

There will be some new content from me real soon here if all of the stars align.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X