Arma3 storage use on your disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma3 storage use on your disk

While checking my SSD where Arma is installed (Arma only), I noticed that it was now taking up 85 gigs of space.. Holy crap!!!, its only got 100 gb. Here's what i found, when you subscribe mods from Steam workshop it leaves two copies on your disk so in our case it's 44gb instead of 22. Here is how it works;Your game is in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 which is in SSD.
    There is a XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder which is in the same disk with your game folder.
    There is a XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads folder too.
    If the default folder for storing MOD subscribed from steam workshop is your game folder, XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3, THEN:
    1. You subscribe 22G MODs
    2. It downloads 22G in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads folder.
    3. It copies the contents and paste to Arma 3 game folder and 107410 folder.
    4. it Deletes the original contents in downloads folder.
    5. Your SSD disk now has taken 44G space.

I have moved the 107410 folder to my 1tb storage drive for safe keeping instead of deleting it. The mods are all there in my game and the game loads and runs fine, it's a Steam workshop thing that only really affects the amount of disk space used. If you are on a smaller SSD it means a lot and who really wants to waste 22gb of space. BIS says they have no answer for this but are checking into it.

Re: Arma3 storage use on your disk

Good find Chief. I just checked my 256 SSD and you are right..

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I discovered that too. I wouldn't count on it being fixed.

I moved the XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder to a HDD and created a symlink (or directory junction or whatever it's called on windoze) at the original location. Seems to work just fine.

*edit, short instructions here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/18...ace/?p=2966714

Comment

I guess it's just as easy for me to check it once and awhile and dump the trash when needed, just like one of the things I am best known for at home.

Comment

Yep, known issue with Workshop.

Comment

Hey, what do you know. It looks like they have fixed it on the dev-branch

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/14...log/?p=3019839

Comment

Building on what Brewski posted, this was added to the SitRep from BIS today:

One of the Launcher team champions, Jiří Polášek, has reported on a significant upgrade that has been staged to Dev-Branch recently. Its 1.5 version brings great new improvements to the Server Browser, such as more robust handling of various types of required (server) mods and DLC detection. It even sports partial support for non-Workshop mods. A list of the specific changes is available here. There is one particular thing to highlight, since it will appease many of you. Until now, due to technical limitations in how Steam handles Workshop content, you'd often have duplicates of mods on your harddrives. The Launcher team has now found a way to utilize mods directly from the Workshop cache. That means the Launcher will also delete the copies it had created in the Arma 3 install folder (those are no longer needed). Jiří adds a warning for advanced users who tried to work around the issue themselves by deleting or otherwise manipulating the cache: "If you had developed the habit of deleting the Workshop cache files, please stop doing so. After this update, you would be effectively be removing the actual mod files. Only the first time Launcher 1.5 is started, it will attempt to restore the Workshop cache with files from the Arma 3 folder. Afterwards, this fix will not be possible without a re-download (verifying integrity of game cache)."
              (Source: https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00155 )

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X