No announcement yet.

What is your first impression of Apex?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your first impression of Apex?

How has Apex struck you on the first day?

I'm over the moon. It really has exceeded my expectations thus far. What great locations and challenging terrain. Can really sink the gaming teeth into this!
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: What is your first impression of Apex?

My first impression is Tanoa belongs to Noyfor, everyone else is just visiting :)

Seriously though, i am loving the new terrain and equipment. LSVs are, in mind, a huge improvement over MRAPs - fast, multi crew, and loads of fun to drive. Definitely fills a gap that pre-Apex Arma 3 had.

I also was really enjoying the sounds the new weapons make, and watching spent casing fly out of the m249 variant (forget the arma canonical name at the moment) - forgot how much fun that is to watch :)

Comment

Love the jungle sounds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

As usual, I got lost in the woods...for a bit.

Comment

speaking of noyfor want to thank trace and his team for the last mission of the night i was zeus and decided to make it a challenge ( a frodo challenge is pretty hard)

not only did they eliminate the 5 man special forces team in dense jungle they took out 6 full squads of csat with about 6 people what a way to end an amazing night great leading great missions great map great dlc im very happy with it
          sigpic

Comment

love how the denseness of the jungle, and the much larger and more compact town make everything more CQC

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkFrodo View Post
              speaking of noyfor want to thank trace and his team for the last mission of the night i was zeus and decided to make it a challenge ( a frodo challenge is pretty hard)

not only did they eliminate the 5 man special forces team in dense jungle they took out 6 full squads of csat with about 6 people what a way to end an amazing night great leading great missions great map great dlc im very happy with it
              We had a great time yesterday, many thanks to Frodo for Zeus duties even though it was really late over there.
              I haven't had the chance to test the new vehicles, but the the weapons, the jungle, the sounds, it's all brilliant. I can't wait for the new missions.
              I'll see you all on the server ;)
              |MPL TRACE|

Comment

I will give my honest opinion.

From the get go I received a bad taste in my mouth after checking out the urban and coastal areas. So much detail and so many buildings that are unenterable.

The environment is outstanding and the ambience is noticeable. There is a lot of opportunity on this map and I am sure it will only be improved as time goes on.

Tanoa has yet to impress me beyond the jungle and its sounds, but we are still getting to know each other.

I will reserve my judgement until after I have play tested a few missions, but so far, I am not that impressed.

As always, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I am really glad to hear others are enjoying it.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I only played one night, with Frodo running Zeus (thanks, good job). I am thrilled with the map and the weapons (M249). Lots of options for challenging missions given the terrain and cool locations from my limited perspective (only a few hours playing in the AO). I am most impressed with the jungle environment. I have spent a month or so in the jungles of Panama as an infantryman (1996 JOTC Ft. Sherman). I think the Devs did a good job in capturing the jungle environment (minus trench foot, crotch rot, rain, humidity, black palm, unavoidable falls, wild life that can put a hurting on you, etc.). The sights and sounds are very cool, I think I even heard a Howler Monkey. I think I broke a sweat the other night.

The terrain is challenging and provides some real world comparisons. Movement and maintaining situational awareness will be a different challenge from Stratis and Altis. Tighter spacing and column/stag formations may have to be considered over line, wedge and gaggle (soup sandwich formations) when traveling. I noticed the other night that you could easily get lost or out of formation given the dense jungle. If using a GPS or trying to follow player names to stay on track, you can easily get distracted with keeping up and then stumble upon a close ambush situation where you will have little to no time to figure out where the fire is coming from before the respawn timer appears.

I think slower movement to OBJ's, more time spent reconnoitering the obj, maintaining 360 security during movements and halts may be a necessary consideration to protect elements from close ambush, attacks from rear and flanks with little to no advance warnings (NOYFOR). A lone wolf or 'track star' will easily be separated, and if hit, a medic might have a hard time getting to him before the rest of the squad can figure out where they are taking fire from and how to protect the medic attending to the casualty.

I'm rambling, sorry. I'm in! The DLC content is spectacular, and I really look forward to the longevity the map provides for some totally awesome missions from the TG group. See ya!

Comment

I am so impessed with this DLC. It has become the game Ive always looked for. This jungle is so difficult to traverse.

The sounds are astounding. Really top notch work on this front. Ive worked for years with audio and I keep thinking I actally have the wind whistling in my ears. The rain on tin roofs. So many great details.

This terrain really is difficult to set up staging areas that have good protection. Makes me think we need CapS's oil rig to stage from.

The visuals are top drawer and fighting a well concieved insugent para military force is finally back.

The models are so well thought out. Absolutley the pinacle of ArmA thus far!
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer
                    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                    189th Infantry Brigade Member
                    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Indeed, Syndikat (insurgent/bandits/paramilitary) is the best add on to the game. Wish the police force faction was more developed/diverse - it's a little disappointing.

Comment

I like it. Enterable buildings are a difference of opinion. It's got enough buildings/structures you can enter, and use as a visual obstacle.
                        I suppose the devs had to think about performance. If all buildings were enterable, with the jungle theme. We would all need a super machine.
                        Enough buildings to search, and fight into and out of. Enough terrain for many scenarios. We just have to get creative. :)

Just realised that my jungle boots are rotting...

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I still have mine, with the anti pungi stick soles and canvas sides. Time to dig them out and sport my brown water River Rat beret.

Comment

After some additional play testing, my opinion seems to be on par with the rest of you now. I do enjoy the enviornment, which at first was a bit distracting. Unkl mentioned how difficult it will be to setup protected areas and I came to the same conclusion pretty quiickly.

I may have missed a thread, but an Oil Rig would be the Perfect addition to this map. After all, it doesn't give me the feel of "full on assault mode". This map makes me think of lawlessness and uprising. Inusrgency and opportunism.

I will always be turned off by unenterable buildings. Processing or not. It seeps some of the immersion for me, but that is only about 1% of my judgement.

Look forward to seeing you all on the server. I may be on today.

We would benefit from an aquatic launching platform in the manifestation of an amphibious assault ship or an oil rig.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Yes, I agree with you. Just jump in and let's tighten up the ranks and form a range file, and make like bobble heads. I need you to keep these guys all squared away. :)

Jungles aren't forgiving, it sucks the life out of you literally. ;)

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X