Callsigns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callsigns

I've been making a list of callsigns I've used on the server before. This is just for fun, but it's also easier for me to do this than to sit around for a few minutes thinking of a tacticool squad name when I'm leading. Feel free to add to it, let's see how long we can make it. This is what I have:

Infantry
    -Archer
    -Crusader
    -Foxhound
    -Hunter
    -Knight
    -Lion
    -Mongol
    -Rabbit
    -Scorpion (SPECOPS ONLY)
    -Spartan
    -Viking
    -Walker
    -Whisper (Sniper & Forward Recon)
    -Wolf

Air
    -Angel
    -Dragon
    -Dusty
    -Eagle
    -Falcon
    -Hawk
    -Helios
    -Lucky
    -Nemesis (AH64 Apache family)
    -Observer (UAV)
    -Odin
    -Overseer (UAV)
    -Pagasus
    -Paveway
    -Raven
    -Reaper
    -Scorcher
    -Sneaker (UAV)
    -Spirit
    -Valkyrie
    -War Hammer
    -Zeus (CO)

Armor
    -Anvil
    -Avenger
    -Badger
    -Broadsword
    -Bronco
    -Digger
    -Grizzly
    -Hammer (CO)
    -Heavy (Artillery)
    -House
    -Lancer
    -Longsword
    -Pathfinder (Recon roles)
    -Pathmaker
    -Punisher
    -Rhino
    -Striker
    -Warhorse
    Last edited by Hummel; 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: Alphabetized

Re: Callsigns

This is a fun time killing exercise. I'll bite. To add...

What I'd like to see is the usage of it without too many different callsigns within an infantry platoon/squads.
    However, we barely exceed in an over strength squad in numbers (usually a full squad plus fire team element/could get up to 6 or 7, one or two pilot(s) for air, medics attached to CO/HQ group, engineer, radio guy, etc.

Why not, attach the medics, engineers into a squad. Then allow the slots that were filled by them, to be shifted to reinforce that extra 'fire team'. Instead of having a fireteam element with 6-7 players?
    It's not like the Plt. Leader is expecting contact reports, to recon reports, via his squad leaders. Then Plt. Leader having to adjust his plan accordingly, as the changes of the battle unfolds.
    Or have i missed something of late?

Let's simplify...(or for some over complicate)
    It's better to stick to one callsign (Foxhound), followed by a number to denote the squad designator, and a colour for fire team. Foxhound-1-Red = Foxhound, first squad, red fireteam
    Foxhound-2-Blue-2 = Foxhound, second squad, Blue fire team, 2nd in charge.

To me, this is simple. It allows the receiver to know who he is getting that call from precisely. The CO/Sqd Leader can figure out quickly, why the Fireteam leader himself didn't key up. (usually, incapacitated/dead).

Air:
    Callsign with a number i.e. Alpha-1, (leader of Alpha) Alpha-2, etc
    Unless, its two different vehicle types. Then it should be different, not following the above example.
    Alpha-1 (Fixed wing), Romeo-1 (rotary wing).

Armour:
    same as air.

As for the fun of actual naming...well. I think the mission makers should be given the freedom to express their creative side, but in keeping with what works. NOT over complicating it.

In the spirit of this post.
    For me, Infantry would be Foxhound, Air would be Pegasus, Armour would be House (only the brits will figure this out).

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I should have added a disclaimer. This is not a list in which I try to use every callsign on it in every game I play. When I lead, I pick a callsign (if necessary) and structure the squad according to the situation.

If I were a CO and made more than one squad, and each squad had a specific task/MO, I would either use callsigns or designate Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Echo/etc.

As for this:
      Foxhound-2-Blue-2 = Foxhound, second squad, Blue fire team, 2nd in charge.
      I'm used to (Callsign)-(squad)-(fireteam) layout. For example, "This is Mongol 1-1 (SL) to Odin 1, (message), over." If necessary, a fire team member other than FTL would specify during his/her transmission that he/she is not the FTL and the reason why the FTL did not pick up

Comment

For Infantry I use Hunter, Walker, Archer, and Scorpion.

For air, Helios, Nemesis(AH64D), Valkyrie, Spirit, and Dusty.

For UAV work I use:Observer and Sneaker

For Sniper and Forward Recon I use: Whisper.

Armor I use Bronco and Warhorse.

Edited to add additional names. May be more to come.
        Last edited by Dimitrius; 07-25-2016, 12:12 PM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I like Dusty.

Comment

hmmm i agree dusty and nemesis for air is good

a few ive used is

air

pave way, war hammer, lucky, angel, reaper, grizzly, hawk, eagle, dragon, Valkyrie,

infantry

Wolf, scorpion, archer, rabbit, lion,

armor

warhorse, anvil, badger, heavy(arty tanks), rhino, path maker,

just a few cant really remember them all but i like this a good little exercise to do
            sigpic

Comment

Let me be clear... Scorpion is Mine. Obviously I cannot enforce that and I don't really mean to claim it, but it comes from the Scorpion Ops missions. If you use the call sign, please remember they're supposed to be a bunch of recon, black ops bad ass dudes(and dudettes) so conduct them as so :)

Also Nemesis should only be used as the name for the AH64D and it's kin. Any other use of the name is uncivilized (monacle adjustment)

These are just my thoughts on the subject =)

Hummel, Dusty works well with hoppers(little bird, bumblebee, etc,) but it doesn't sound so good for the heavies. At least to me it doesn't.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Also, to continue the "Dimitrius says" topics, I also enjoy using the name "Jolly Green" for the Chinook.

The CH47 has a history in TG, there have been more than a few hot extractions in the Jolly Green and anyone who has flown it properly knows it is not an easy beast to tame.

If she had a memory, she would remember those extractions with a smile, and we would experience a mutual respect for one another.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Updated and alphabetized.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                    Hummel, Dusty works well with hoppers(little bird, bumblebee, etc,) but it doesn't sound so good for the heavies. At least to me it doesn't.
                    Dusty makes more sense to me for heavier helicopters, seeing as they're usually larger and have both a larger surface area and props which kick up a lot more dirt than something like a Littlebird.

Comment

Hummel, "Dusty" actually makes sense for small birds because all they kick up is dust. If you work with something big, like a CH-53, it quite literally throws rocks at you.

As a side note: please do not get carried away with those call signs. Some of them may sound cool and sexy but could also be confusing. So, for example, if we are playing vanilla Arma I would not use "Scorcher" as a callsign, because it is a name of a specific vehicle. Even if "Scorcher" is a Scorcher battery, you don't want to use that callsign because you may have more units equipped with the same type of vehicle. Also, anything that has a broad meaning, such as "Observer" for UAV, may cause confusion on radio, especially during joint ops.

tl;dr - avoid ambiguity

Comment

Along the same lines at Lord Shenanigan's advise, try to pick callsigns that are short and easy to pronounce (preferably even for non-native english speakers). This all that keeps me from naming teams and objectives things like Pauldron, Brigandine, Pernach, etc. I might have a nerdy affinity for medieval weapons and armor terminology...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shenanigan View Post
                          please do not get carried away with those call signs. Some of them may sound cool and sexy but could also be confusing. So, for example, if we are playing vanilla Arma I would not use "Scorcher" as a callsign, because it is a name of a specific vehicle. Even if "Scorcher" is a Scorcher battery, you don't want to use that callsign because you may have more units equipped with the same type of vehicle. Also, anything that has a broad meaning, such as "Observer" for UAV, may cause confusion on radio, especially during joint ops.
                          I don't think it's that big a deal. Mainly this is just for fun. However, the only people who need to know the callsigns are team leaders. Confusion is supposed to be dealt with before a mission, not during. If someone is confused by anything, be it a new SOP or a contradicting callsign, it's brought up in the briefing.

In regards to the point you made, Noyava, I don't feel that any of these are hard to pronounce, nor do I think they take long to say. But I could be wrong, and, like I said, this is just for fun.

In most cases we don't even need callsigns because we all are part of the same rifle squad, so we go with whatever's default. As far as any member is concerned, including the SL, the squad might as well be nameless.

It's not like this is a proposal for mandatory callsigns. I was just curious what people used when they lead.

Comment

I wasn't criticizing anyone's choices or trying to squash the fun... I have a multi page document of names I pulled together when I started zuesing. I was just adding what I've learned about picking call signs and code names playing the game :)

Comment

I like to use "Chosen" for sniper/spotter teams. Just cause it sounds cool when you call up "Chosen 1" :) I also like to use "Bayonet" because it was my old units callsign

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X