TvT - Ideas requested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TvT - Ideas requested

So our event last month for Glory & Consequence was very well attended. Even a test last night was pretty well populated for only real time notice.

I think we have a pretty good base to build some TvT events from and I'd like to hear from you guys how we could best build attendance and coordination. Do we need pre-event planning and team selections? How can we facilitate pre-event planning? Should we set up a TvT instance on particular nights? What should we do about mission development that would really help out and not let things get stale?

Sound off and pipe up! Ears are on.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: TvT - Ideas requested

I'll probably have more thoughts later, but for now let's start slow until we strike the right balance. Monthly? That alone will help keep attendance up and overhead low.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think we could bump it up to bi-weekly. Maybe replace every other Tactical Tuesday with TvT Tuesday. As for mission development, I suggested a Squad (game) like mission that would work well in Arma III but it was shot down. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but if you need a refresher on my opinions, look back to my post:

Theoretically, would it be possible to create a mission that mimics Squad? For example, a TvT mission where:

-squad leaders carry a FOB (camp backpack) that all squad members can respawn at
      -each team gets a limited number of tickets
      -controling a sector drains tickets from enemy team
      -each team can destroy the enemies FOB
      -every soldier gets bandages (first aid kits), but only medics can fully heal and revive
      -buildable defenses
      -A way to earn ammo caches with limited resources (no arsenal, no advanced optics, no dress-up time)

etc?

I bought Squad, but I can hardly play it due to poor optimization. I'm sure the developers are going to fix that eventually, but as it is now, I can't play it for long periods of time or else my CPU overheats and my computer crashes. And this is AFTER looking up every guide to manually optimize the game through visual settings and editing txt files.

Just a conversation piece. I have neither the mission making experience nor the patience and dedication to bring this to life, but maybe our more talented members can make it work...? Food for thought.

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION] - Check here - I sure wasn't me that fired a shot across your idea's bow!

A really good, vanilla friendly TvT framework that lends itself to simple mission creation is sorely needed. This is something I hope our ArmA Projects Team will eventually collaborate on. There are options out there, and they are great ones indeed. I'm just not sold on requiring RHS & CUP Terrains & TFR (with single channel only) ect...that comes with modders who are also creating their own community around their mod.

Something simple that would allow more flavours and be easy for communities to adopt to their own specs is just not something that is going to fall at our doorstep. So, your basic idea is actually quite simple to put together. It's the issues of balance, longevity and such that can get tricky.

One fellow, Harold, suggested that respawn can be done in waves where all respawns are held back up to a half hour. This provides the requirement of taking a game life seriously but doesn't rule out all hope of playing before the round is over. I suppose you would have players reconnecting to get around it. Anywho, I'm game for starting this project and seeing what we can do in house.

I wouldn't make a direct reference to Squad because there is the ability to have a greater variety in objectives within ArmA and we would want to use that as a way of differentiating the game. I still need to play more Squad soon!
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I don't believe there would be any issues with balance in regards to respawn. As far as FOB mobility goes, rename it a sleeping bag if you feel carrying a FOB on your back is too overpowered. The idea is that you need somewhere to respawn from, unless you're going hardcore. You're on patrol, which means you can't drive a Hunter back to where you were every time you die -- You'd run out of assets pretty darn quick. Instead we pretend that with every respawn, you're playing as "reinforcements"... aka, you didn't magically come back to life and teleport to a safe area to select another loadout.

Engagements would be random objectives at random places on the map. One team defends an area and the other does a foot patrol to recon/assault. So, maybe instead of carrying an FOB with you, you spawn from a FOB assembly made in Eden. Then you do your patrol and decide where to lay a sleeping bag with a limited number of uses or at time intervals (like you mentioned).

Of course, in this mode you'd try to limit HUD/UI as much as possible. That means no "Hummel was killed by NOYFOR". Instead of showing a ticket counter somewhere on the screen, have HQ radio your squad leader at time intervals to let you know how good/bad you're doing, and impression a sense of urgency when needed.

No magic revives. Once you're dead, you're dead, and you have to start over. Seems reasonable enough.

Only medic can heal, everybody else can only partially treat themselves.

If somebody finds your sleeping bag, they can destroy it, and you have to start again at your FOB.

If a team is in a valuable position (a village, radio tower, airfield, high ground, etc.), your tickets will drain at a boosted rate with every casualty, or at time intervals. For example every 5 seconds you lose X number of tickets based on X variables. Otherwise just put a time limit on the mission, or else it potentially goes on forever.

respawn can be done in waves where all respawns are held back up to a half hour. This provides the requirement of taking a game life seriously but doesn't rule out all hope of playing before the round is over.
          One thing to note here: If revive is eliminated, you can use a ticket system and people will still take their virtual lives seriously even with an instant respawn (no delay, no waves). Having to walk a long distance through enemy territory is not a pleasant experience (especially with NOYFOR around)...

Also, in regards to loadouts:
          I think in a TvT like this, optics should be restricted to those who need them. Squad leaders, fire team leaders, marksmen, and maybe automatic riflemen. Everyone else should have ACO/Holographics/irons if for no other reason than to encourage teamwork. If you have a threat 600m away pinning down your squad, it would be a vested interest of everyone without magnified optics to suppress that target.

Anyways, those are some ideas about balance that I had off the top of my head. I'm open to discussion.

Comment

Another one of the things a portable forward deployment gives you is the ability to simulate a larger force when player counts are lower. There was this ability in PR:ArmA where the bigger your force on your side was the less respawns you would have available for every group respawn point. I'm sure I also remembering that change over time but I remember that working quite well in this way.
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

One thing, avoid mods at all cost for PvP. Virtually every single Arma PvP mode I've played with mods has been crippled by said mods complete lack of optimization. Our last attempt here cut my fps by two thirds after a couple of minutes on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                One thing, avoid mods at all cost for PvP. Virtually every single Arma PvP mode I've played with mods has been crippled by said mods complete lack of optimization. Our last attempt here cut my fps by two thirds after a couple of minutes on the server.
                Probably lots of revive and kit scripts.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                  Probably lots of revive and kit scripts.
                  Quite possibly old chap but many of the actual faction mods will massively drop performance even when testing on your own. Try loading up 50 modded troops (RHS Russians or something) and then do the same with Vanilla. You should see a noticeable difference in FPS.

Comment

HVT Extraction
                    BLUFOR (US/UK) vs OPFOR (Guerilla/Indy) & 1 HVT
                    Timer
                    No tickets, No Respawn, Spectating mode (crucial if no respawn)
                    Playable area marked and not to be crossed.

BLUFOR, Parachutes into the area. Defenders, well fortify their defences.
                    Extraction of HVT from enemy village/base/tent.
                    Attackers have night vision. Defenders don't, but have numbers in their favour and their knowledge of their immediate areas.
                    HVT must be alive, and extracted; if killed the Assault team loses. If HVT dies within the enemy zone, the Defenders lose.

Pilot Down - Rescue
                    BLUFOR (US/UK) vs OPFOR (Guerilla/Indy) & 1-2 Pilots.
                    Timer
                    No tickets, No Respawn, Spectating mode (crucial if no respawn)
                    Playable area marked and not to be crossed.

Blufor, have rotary assets to extract the downed pilot safely.
                    Opfor have ground vehicles with non-thermal/scoped MGs/.50s to capture the downed pilot.
                    Downed pilots have no long range radio, No map at start, only compass, watch, smokeshells, MP5s, Sidearm.
                    Blufor and Opfor have maps, and radios (for TFAR), Knows the downed pilots location, but doesn't know where opposing sides start from.

Capture & Hold
                    Opposing sides only have ironsights and equal in firepower & number of players.
                    Three different Capture points to hold for X amount of time to win.
                    Tickets
                    Timer
                    Limited & forced viewdistance 800m
                    Three capture areas must be within 500m (max) range from each other.

Enemy Base/Building Raid
                    Opposing sides to infiltrate or fight into an urban area & destroy an ammo cache (scripted by scroll wheel?)
                    Tickets
                    Timer
                    Opposing sides only have ironsights and equal in firepower & number of players.
                    No Explosives/AP mines.
                    Limited/forced viewdistance of 500m.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I'm working on setting up a TvT on Saturday Sept 10. I think we will run MORA RECOVERY. Just need to create an event post yet. We have some of us working on missions and the content. What I'm really wanting from this thread is an idea of how best to set it up. How much time for promotion should we do. Do you want more pre-event planning? Right now the only way to do this is via PM or the IHS/or Supporting Member channels in TS. I'd like to see teams come up with plans and such prior the events.

In House Squads could battle it out in game?
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I don't know how much pre-event planning is required. I would think giving briefing intel to a single commander per side, who can then share by whatever means to his squad leaders, would be most efficient.

Do we have two IHS that play ArmA? I generally only see the 189th in game.

Comment

I don't Believe Dimitrius will be happy about that one.

Yes Balancing the game is going to be hard. But with time Mission makers can gain more experience to improve and balance game play for small and large games.

Comment

"I "regularly" only see the 189th in game". Better? :)

Comment

I like the idea of a monthly TVT event like iantron said, it would give time to have a good AAR and, if needed, make changes based on feedback from each event.
                              About promotion 3 weeks should be enough to have a confirmed list of players and maybe adjust the mission parameters to the number of players that have singed up.
                              TS and in game text reminders are always good ways to get the word around.
                              |MPL TRACE|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X